• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
I imagine that I am committing plagiarism here, but is it okay to copy two sentences from my Open Day application for my Vacation scheme application at the same firm? I honestly cannot think of a better way to express my interest than I already have! (That isn't a flex, I'm just lost for ideas)

For context, I am talking about a case the firm has had recent success in as a reason why I am motivated by a particular practice and the firm's culture.

Last edited:

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
I imagine that I am committing plagiarism here, but is it okay to copy two sentences from my Open Day application for my Vacation scheme application at the same firm? I honestly cannot think of a better way to express my interest than I already have! (That isn't a flex, I'm just lost for ideas)

For context, I am talking about a case the firm has had recent success in as a reason as to why I am motivated by a particular practice and the firm's culture.
you're fine to do that, it's not university

Reactions: Apple

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

For context, I am talking about a case the firm has had recent success in as a reason why I am motivated by a particular practice and the firm's culture.
It’s not plagiarism if it’s your own content:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does any one have any advice on how to approach this question for NRF - Norton Rose Fulbright has a sector led approach. Which one of our sectors do you think has the most potential for growth over the next 12 months, and why, and what opportunities do you see for the firm to maximise this potential?

Should we focus on a specific area in one of their sectors for example hydrogen in their energy sector and discuss hydrogen or shall we discuss the energy sector and any growth for the firm in the energy sector. Am not sure how to structure this question and what approach to take.
I think you have to identify the area for biggest growth across a sector group, so if your answer is going to focus on one aspect of their work, it will need to have quite a significant chance for growth (eg new market, new products, new regulation etc).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does applying to Open Days make that much of a difference to your application? I have applied to a few for firms that I want to apply for VS but now I don't know if I'm wasting my time and should start VS applications instead.
They can be really helpful for some candidates, for instance if you have less legal work experience or no previous connection/interaction with the firm.

If you impress on an open day, the firm will be waiting for your later application. It’s not going to mean your application cannot meet the standard the firm expects, but I think it can help with borderline applications.

I think people also gain a lot of information that helps them write compelling applications too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you did terrible at an AC, is it worth reapplying the following year? Would they remember you?
If you feel you have worked on developing the areas you were given feedback on (assuming they are areas you can work on) then you shouldn’t be put off from reapplying. But firms will want to see you have been proactive is developing the areas they gave you constructive feedback on.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Jumping on, what about if it was near miss (just pipped by 1 person) and you had mitigating circumstances (proper ones that affected performance on the day that you have doctor's evidence for and wasn't just being ill)
I think you still need to show that you have been proactive is developing your skill set. Firms cannot quantify how the circumstances would have impacted your performance.

But given you were close to getting an offer, I would be expecting firms to encouraging you to reapply.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm starting a new paralegal role in a couple of weeks at a reputable firm, which naturally is better experience for VS/TC applications than my current role. As I'm starting to do applications now, should I include details of the new role I am starting or not? It feels odd to include a job I haven's started yet, but it is more pertinent experience and by the time it came to Assessment Centres or the actual Vac schemes themselves I would have been in the new role for a while...
You may find that some application forms don’t allow you to put future dates in for employment (some do though.)

If you can put it in, the description should be no more than a sentence or two as you can’t claim the work you will be doing just by the job description.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
For the A&O work experience is worth having a section how that experience helped to develop your commercial awareness I am afraid to add that in because I am not sure if that is what they are looking for in that section.
I have found this structure works: job description (50 words); skill one (100 words); skill two (100 words). Adjust word counts.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
hi everyone,

does anyone have any tips for 'telling a story' ? I'm applying for A&O Shearman's winter vac scheme, and I'm lost writing the work experience sections. I went to one of the application masterclass things, and the grad recruitment people kept emphasising they wanted us to tell a story in our work exp section.

i'm not even sure what i'm doing, it's my first vac scheme application. I've got a few retail and hospitality jobs, some volunteering in a hospital, a few insight days, and I'm a campus ambassador, I'm not sure how to craft that into a story, or how to tell that story in a work exp section.

any help is much appreciated!!!!
Well, you got here based on all your past decisions, so that's a solid starting point. It's about selling your experiences together.

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
Well, you got here based on all your past decisions, so that's a solid starting point. It's about selling your experiences together.

hi everyone,

does anyone have any tips for 'telling a story' ? I'm applying for A&O Shearman's winter vac scheme, and I'm lost writing the work experience sections. I went to one of the application masterclass things, and the grad recruitment people kept emphasising they wanted us to tell a story in our work exp section.

i'm not even sure what i'm doing, it's my first vac scheme application. I've got a few retail and hospitality jobs, some volunteering in a hospital, a few insight days, and I'm a campus ambassador, I'm not sure how to craft that into a story, or how to tell that story in a work exp section.

any help is much appreciated!!!!
I think the key thing about telling a story is thinking about the skills you used and developed during your work experience and explain why that led to you seeking a career in commercial law and how those skills can be applied to being commercial lawyer at A&O. An example would be if you worked in retail as a sales person - you had to build connections with clients understanding what they were looking for and apply your knowledge of the products to best meet their expectations. As a solicitor you need to understand the business of your client and what their goals are, so you can apply your commercial and legal knowledge to help them achieve that.
Ps I wrote something very similar to this so best not to copy and paste but I hope this gives you some insight into how you can structure your work experience and skills around being a trainee lawyer.

legalxp2

Jan 4, 2024
For the A&O work experience is worth having a section how that experience helped to develop your commercial awareness I am afraid to add that in because I am not sure if that is what they are looking for in that section.
I think it is worth mentioning. The recorded VI and the work experience sections are assessed by different members of grad rec so they recommend to repeat things (eg. what you got out of the experience) rather than miss it out. Hope that helps!

yeezyee

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2023
People who work full time, how are you managing your time with application things? I feel like i dont have the luxury of going to open days and events alongside vacation schemes. There's only so much PTO i have!

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Hi, does anyone have any tips for Pinsent Masons blended assessment and video interview? Thanks!
Hey, I answered this earlier on this forum so I'll paste my answer here for your convenience:

I did Pinsent’s blended assessment last recruitment cycle and I do remember one of the video questions being scenario-based. It was based on receiving feedback from your supervisor regarding improving your attention to detail and how you would react and implement this. Obviously the questions must have changed now, but basically do be prepared for maybe one scenario question. The other question was firm-based.

Apart from that, there’s a decent amount of numerical reasoning so keep a calculator and pen paper handy. The assessment itself I found to be quite time pressured given the firm advises you not to spend more than 1 hour on it. But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll smash it- hope this info helps! :)

Reactions: hanz123

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Does anyone know why Travers aren't running a Winter VS this year, and when direct TC apps will open instead? Thanks!
Hey, I spoke with their Grad Rec at Legal Cheek's law fair and they said they found that the Winter VS clashed too much with term times. So to compensate they are opening up their direct TC apps in Oct/Nov. I was super bummed to hear there was no Winter VS as I basically directed my entire winter strategy for Travers but oh well!! Hope this helps :)

tigerlili.

Sep 9, 2024
Hey, I answered this earlier on this forum so I'll paste my answer here for your convenience:

I did Pinsent’s blended assessment last recruitment cycle and I do remember one of the video questions being scenario-based. It was based on receiving feedback from your supervisor regarding improving your attention to detail and how you would react and implement this. Obviously the questions must have changed now, but basically do be prepared for maybe one scenario question. The other question was firm-based.

Apart from that, there’s a decent amount of numerical reasoning so keep a calculator and pen paper handy. The assessment itself I found to be quite time pressured given the firm advises you not to spend more than 1 hour on it. But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll smash it- hope this info helps! :)
Hi, thank you so much! I appreciate your help. :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.