• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

legal18

Star Member
Feb 17, 2024
Does applying to Open Days make that much of a difference to your application? I have applied to a few for firms that I want to apply for VS but now I don't know if I'm wasting my time and should start VS applications instead.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Does applying to Open Days make that much of a difference to your application? I have applied to a few for firms that I want to apply for VS but now I don't know if I'm wasting my time and should start VS applications instead.
Yes it does - Latham are big on that. I only got the VS interview because I did the Open Day. Go and watch Paul Gascoyne's video on 'Training Contract application strategies that work'.

pepsicola96

Standard Member
Jul 11, 2024
I have a question around mitigating circumstances if anyone can advise?

Basically I'm not sure whether to mention my migraines as a mitigating circumstance. I have had them for years, but they got really bad in year 13 around exam time due to stress, some weeks I had multiple, and if you've ever had a migraine you'll know they can last days. I still came out with ABC, so not too bad considering.

They subsided somewhat after summer, but were still present. I saw my GP, who prescribed some beta blockers that did nothing for me, I worked on managing them in other ways, and they have decreased massively, I only get them once every 2 months or so now.

I'm not sure whether it's worth mentioning as a) I didn't actually see my GP until I was in uni, after I'd finished my a-levels, so I'm not sure I could use it to evidence poor performance at a-level. b) a letter from my GP wouldn't say much as I'm not really undergoing treatment, I only had 2 appointments. Though I do have a student support plan at uni for them.

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
If you did terrible at an AC, is it worth reapplying the following year? Would they remember you?
Jumping on, what about if it was near miss (just pipped by 1 person) and you had mitigating circumstances (proper ones that affected performance on the day that you have doctor's evidence for and wasn't just being ill)

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
If you did terrible at an AC, is it worth reapplying the following year? Would they remember you?
Not sure what other peoples experience is with this, but I have reapplied to a couple of firms that I reached AC/final stage with, spent time making my application stronger but didn't make it through the first stage. It is probably still worth reapplying if you really like that firm though, as you never know

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Does any one have any advice on how to approach this question for NRF - Norton Rose Fulbright has a sector led approach. Which one of our sectors do you think has the most potential for growth over the next 12 months, and why, and what opportunities do you see for the firm to maximise this potential?

Should we focus on a specific area in one of their sectors for example hydrogen in their energy sector and discuss hydrogen or shall we discuss the energy sector and any growth for the firm in the energy sector. Am not sure how to structure this question and what approach to take.
Really oddly phrased question but I think both. So my approach would be:

1. identify a sector where there is a current issue/trend(s) that will directly contribute to the sector growth AND SPECIFICALLY growth that the firm can capitalise on (by this second part, I mean that the growth needs to generate capital and work for the firm)
2. discuss the issue/trend(s) and the resultant sector impact - I would also acknowledge any counterpoints as to why there may not be growth then debunk them
3. discuss the opportunities this will generate for NRF (eg more work in a certain area, higher value deals, general influx of work across several areas etc)
4. [maybe] suggest specific strategies that the firm can employ to capitalize on this growth - I don't think this is strictly necessary so wouldn't include points on this just for the sake of it but if you have a good point to make then make it

hmevey

Standard Member
Sep 7, 2024
I did this method last year and got ACs for every vac scheme I applied for but none of the direct TCs. Ttake from that what you will but I think you are massively disadvantaged going through the direct route for just about every firm except the magic circle (who are ridiculously hard to get through for so not exactly a safe bet). This year I'm taking the L and applying for vac schemes too and will just have to use all my annual leave up on interviews/schemes if I get them.

Also on that point, love firms that harp on about social mobility but only hire through vac schemes
I've heard similar stories which is so annoying because alot of VC's are around the same time :( Going to try apply for a mix and just use all my annual leave LOL but got in two direct TC's for slaughters and AG in summer and both PFOs so not off to the best start. Bit of a pain doing this all alongside the 9-5 but hopefully it'll be worth it fingers crossed. Also hoping I can start earlier than two years as I am one year post grad so alot of hopefully's in this journey!!

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu
I'm starting a new paralegal role in a couple of weeks at a reputable firm, which naturally is better experience for VS/TC applications than my current role. As I'm starting to do applications now, should I include details of the new role I am starting or not? It feels odd to include a job I haven's started yet, but it is more pertinent experience and by the time it came to Assessment Centres or the actual Vac schemes themselves I would have been in the new role for a while...

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
hi everyone,

does anyone have any tips for 'telling a story' ? I'm applying for A&O Shearman's winter vac scheme, and I'm lost writing the work experience sections. I went to one of the application masterclass things, and the grad recruitment people kept emphasising they wanted us to tell a story in our work exp section.

i'm not even sure what i'm doing, it's my first vac scheme application. I've got a few retail and hospitality jobs, some volunteering in a hospital, a few insight days, and I'm a campus ambassador, I'm not sure how to craft that into a story, or how to tell that story in a work exp section.

any help is much appreciated!!!!

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
For the A&O work experience is worth having a section how that experience helped to develop your commercial awareness I am afraid to add that in because I am not sure if that is what they are looking for in that section.

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
Hi all, very nervous to post this but I needed some advice. I originally undertook a Law degree and achieved a first class average in my first year. I further participated in various First Year Insight Schemes.

Due to severe mental health issues in my second year, I was forced to quit and was not provided with the opportunity by my University to redo the second year. I hence transferred degree courses and now take Accounting & Financial Management with Economics. I achieved a 83% average in my first year of this new degree and my mental health is in a much better position. However, I still truly do wish to be a lawyer and want to try applying to some vacation schemes this year. Do you think (given my degree change) that it is worth still trying to apply for legal experience? Or do you think firms will look at my history and reject me? Changing degrees had little to do with my ability or interest (and I can evidence that with the first year results). But l am apprehensive about partaking in the application season upcoming. Thank you

patternteddybear

Esteemed Member
Jan 4, 2023
I'm starting a new paralegal role in a couple of weeks at a reputable firm, which naturally is better experience for VS/TC applications than my current role. As I'm starting to do applications now, should I include details of the new role I am starting or not? It feels odd to include a job I haven's started yet, but it is more pertinent experience and by the time it came to Assessment Centres or the actual Vac schemes themselves I would have been in the new role for a while...
I would include it, but definitely mention that you haven’t started it just yet. State what you hope to learn and also how the job will help you expand your current skill set :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.