TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
Hi! Can anybody give me any advice on whether my grades are good enough to apply to VS @ City law firms such as Hogan Lovells, Baker McKenzie and even White & Case.

In my first year I have got 65% overall but I only got a 54% in obligationsšŸ˜¬
The modules I took were
-Public 65%
-Property 67%
-Remedies in Contract and Tort 68%
-Criminal law 74%
-Contemporary issues in law 62%
-obligations 54%šŸ˜¬

I got A*AA at A-Level and go to a RG and did manage to secure some first year schemes but Iā€™m worried bcz of the importance of that module. I am also taking Advanced Contract and Tort in my 2nd year.

Any advice would be really helpful.
You should be fine. The only one you might not be able to apply for is Norton Rose because they require a 2:1 in the compulsory Contract and Tort modules and Obligations seems to be these two modules combined?? My uni didn't do 'Obligations' so feel free to correct me if that's not what it is lol. If your compulsory Contract and Tort law modules are structured as 'Remedies in Contract and Tort' and 'Obligations' combined then you might be fine anyway because you would've averaged a 61 across the two - might be worth emailing their grad rec and asking?

Reactions: Unknowncabbage
You should be fine. The only one you might not be able to apply for is Norton Rose because they require a 2:1 in the compulsory Contract and Tort modules and Obligations seems to be these two modules combined?? My uni didn't do 'Obligations' so feel free to correct me if that's not what it is lol. If your compulsory Contract and Tort law modules are structured as 'Remedies in Contract and Tort' and 'Obligations' combined then you might be fine anyway because you would've averaged a 61 across the two - might be worth emailing their grad rec and asking?
Alright thanks, and yeah Obligations is just the foundation of contract and tort for us. Iā€™m doing advanced contract and tort separate in my 2nd year. I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to apply to Norton anyways but as long as it doesnā€™t limit the other US firms I can apply to Iā€™ll be happy.

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
I have an AC this week and starting to panic a little bit about the written assessment as I havenā€™t done one before. Iā€™ve been told this firm specifically is less technical and more common sense based where you should bring in commercial awareness where possible. Does anyone have any good advice for managing their time, structuring your answer, etc? Would really appreciate it :)

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
Thank you @LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern and @Heartofglass, your words do make me feel better about the whole situation.

Did you find this cycle easier with your prior VS experience?
It comes down to many factors. From my point of view, it does not become either "easier" or harder . It depends on the quality of your applications, how you sell yourself, and how you leverage your previous vac scheme. However, having a VS on the CV certainly does help in the sense that you have more knowledge of the profession and a sophisticated commercial awareness. But it does not lead to receiving multiple TC offers (possible but rare, as law firms look for a range of qualities in a candidate).

Reactions: KBanana

Aaj03

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jan 8, 2023
    I have an upcoming interview with A&O Shearman for a role. However, I completed my application before the merger was announced formally, hence, my motivation was just for an individual firm. The interview guide stated that I would be asked about my motivation for wanting to join the firm, does anyone have any advice or how I can go about this to make sure I can get my interest across properly and I don't know if i could talk about deals that have interested me without making it seem like I am answering a motivation question for an individual firm.
    The only thing that is universal across the board are DEI, Innovation, Virtual work experience programme, practice areas (but only pre-merger deals on the website and some that i spoke about in my written application- can I use this?)
    Additionally, I am now confused about the type of question I would ask at the end regarding the role...
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    I have an upcoming interview with A&O Shearman for a role. However, I completed my application before the merger was announced formally, hence, my motivation was just for an individual firm. The interview guide stated that I would be asked about my motivation for wanting to join the firm, does anyone have any advice or how I can go about this to make sure I can get my interest across properly and I don't know if i could talk about deals that have interested me without making it seem like I am answering a motivation question for an individual firm.
    The only thing that is universal across the board are DEI, Innovation, Virtual work experience programme, practice areas (but only pre-merger deals on the website and some that i spoke about in my written application- can I use this?)
    Additionally, I am now confused about the type of question I would ask at the end regarding the role...
    Is this for the build programme?

Reactions: Aaj03

AS24

Apr 16, 2024
    Congrats! Can I ask when you heard back from A&O Shearman and when you applied?

Reactions: Aaj03

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.