• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

Winter, Spring and Summer Vacation Scheme Deadlines 2024-25 (with rolling/non rolling checklist!)

SoonToBeTrainee

Star Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    just at sidley or across the board? grad rec at a firm told me summer ones tend to be the most competitive
    Many winter schemes are usually limited to final-year students and graduates. So, this might make a bit of a difference on application numbers.

Sidley’s winter scheme is probably the most competitive for that specific firm, though, because it was the first vacation scheme of this cycle open. So, I imagine everyone applied whilst they were waiting for the other firms to open.

I wouldn’t worry too much about application numbers / competition across schemes. It’s fairly equal, and really won’t make a noticeable difference. Apply to the scheme which works best for you.

Amma Usman

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Does anyone know that Latham&Watkins recruitment is rolling-basis or not? Thanks.
    Hey @sarahhhh, thanks for your question! I have just checked the graduate recruitment website and seen that this is not specified. Last year when I was a Campus Ambassador, it was non-rolling. I presume it is also the same this year - although I can’t say for sure. I have asked a few people I know are current campus ambassadors and will get back to you once I get a reply from them.

Additionally, I will recommend getting your applications in relatively early and not too close to the deadlines when this is not specified. However, in addition to speed and accuracy, quality is another key consideration as you would not want to compromise on this.

Last year I submitted my Latham application in December and heard back for the AC soon after. So hope this gives some more clarity in relation to time.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi @Amma Usman , I hope this message finds you well. Thanks for offering your time to help out aspiring lawyers. I have a question regarding eligibility for GD's vacation scheme: their website mentions "recent graduates" are eligible and FAQs note "those who have already graduated". Do you know if they have a cap/rule of how many years you have been graduated after which you can no longer apply?

Amma Usman

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hey @sarahhhh, thanks for your question! I have just checked the graduate recruitment website and seen that this is not specified. Last year when I was a Campus Ambassador, it was non-rolling. I presume it is also the same this year - although I can’t say for sure. I have asked a few people I know are current campus ambassadors and will get back to you once I get a reply from them.

Additionally, I will recommend getting your applications in relatively early and not too close to the deadlines when this is not specified. However, in addition to speed and accuracy, quality is another key consideration as you would not want to compromise on this.

Last year I submitted my Latham application in December and heard back for the AC soon after. So hope this gives some more clarity in relation to time.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.
    Hey @sarahhhh. Just to follow-up from your past question - I have spoken with a Latham Campus Ambassador for this year and found out that applications for their schemes are non-rolling, and will be viewed after the deadline of December 8th.

Amma Usman

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi @Amma Usman , I hope this message finds you well. Thanks for offering your time to help out aspiring lawyers. I have a question regarding eligibility for GD's vacation scheme: their website mentions "recent graduates" are eligible and FAQs note "those who have already graduated". Do you know if they have a cap/rule of how many years you have been graduated after which you can no longer apply?
    Hi @Lastseasonwonder. I believe you are welcome to apply either way and there is not a cap on eligibility based off one’s graduation date. Hope this helps and feel free to let me know if you have any more questions on GDC :)

Reactions: Lastseasonwonder

Amma Usman

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hi @Amma Usman When you submit for Latham do they send the test through immediately to do be done within a set time. I have my application ready but am about to go on holiday so will submit when I am back if it is likely to come through quickly as I would rather do the test at home.
    Hello @3000to1shoteverytime. Last year when I submitted my application, I got the test immediately. I presume it will also be the case this year, but I suggest checking with Graduate Recruitment as this could have changed during this application cycle.

Also, have a great holiday! 💃

Reactions: Jaysen

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hi @Lastseasonwonder. I believe you are welcome to apply either way and there is not a cap on eligibility based off one’s graduation date. Hope this helps and feel free to let me know if you have any more questions on GDC :)
    Many thanks, @Amma Usman.

I am in the process of writing my work experience section. I have read lots of advise online and I usually opt for a factual-based approach; I tend to avoid talking about how doing X developed skill Y (as I I think that tends to be obvious/can be inferred). Also, I have previously written it in bullet points. This year, I want to spend more time on this section to maximise it. Could you please let me know your advise for approaching the work experience section, to make the best out of it?

@Ram Sabaratnam @Kay Aston @Andrei Radu @Jessica Booker - it would be great to hear your thoughts too please :)

Last edited:

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Many thanks, @Amma Usman.

I am in the process of writing my work experience section. I have read lots of advise online and I usually opt for a factual-based approach; I tend to avoid talking about how doing X developed skill Y (as I I think that tends to be obvious/can be inferred). Also, I have previously written it in bullet points. This year, I want to spend more time on this section to maximise it. Could you please let me know your advise for approaching the work experience section, to make the best out of it?

@Ram Sabaratnam @Kay Aston @Andrei Radu @Jessica Booker - it would be great to hear your thoughts too please :)
    @Amma Usman @Ram Sabaratnam @Kay Aston @Andrei Radu @Jessica Booker - kindly following up on the above.

Kay Aston

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 8, 2024
    Hi @Lastseasonwonder ! I think that there are a few ways you can do it, and I know that some people are more descriptive about skills etc. However, I take a similar approach to you in which I stay fairly factual, and let the experiences speak for themselves. If you want to spell it out a bit more without being overly descriptive, you can take a hybrid approach whereby instead of saying (purely as an example): 'I undertook a review of 10,000 documents in which I developed attention to detail', you could say 'undertook a detail-oriented review of 10,000 documents...'. I hope that makes sense but happy to answer any additional questions! ✨

Amma Usman

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Hey @Lastseasonwonder, thanks for your question! A few of my colleagues have made great posts on this, which I’ve included below:

@Andrei Radu :

“ I think it depends on the specific of the work experiences you have and on what you have included in the cover letter. My strategy was to start by focusing on writing the best possible cover letter, and then write my work experience section while taking into account the information I had already written in the cover letter to avoid repetition.

When writing the work experience section, I did not focus on always reaching the 250 word limit. Instead, I tried to write in the same concise and structured style as I did in the cover letter. For work experiences which included many responsibilities and tasks, I would therefore generally end up writing around 200 words. However, for simpler roles, I would sometimes write less than 100. I think the best strategy is to try to include all substantive information which adds value to the application, instead of adding extra information for the sake of reaching the word limit - recruiters will likely notice that and will not appreciate it. Also, the more you write and the more information the recruiter has to sift through, the more difficult will it be for the points of key importance to stick with them after they finish reading - so sometimes, being concise is more helpful to make a lasting impression.”

@Kay Aston :

“I think that there are a few ways you can do it, and I know that some people are more descriptive about skills etc. However, I take a similar approach to you in which I stay fairly factual, and let the experiences speak for themselves. If you want to spell it out a bit more without being overly descriptive, you can take a hybrid approach whereby instead of saying (purely as an example): 'I undertook a review of 10,000 documents in which I developed attention to detail', you could say 'undertook a detail-oriented review of 10,000 documents...'. I hope that makes sense but happy to answer any additional questions!”

@Ram Sabaratnam :

“While the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) can be helpful for highlighting key achievements, it’s not necessary—and it can sometimes limit your ability to make the best use of the word count. Instead, focus on describing what you did in each role in a concise and clear way. Where possible, tie your experiences to commercial law by showing how the tasks you undertook in each role helped you develop essential competencies, such as attention to detail, problem-solving, written communication, client service, and teamwork. You don’t need to mention all of these for each entry; just use examples that showcase how you’ve developed a few legally-relevant skills that were really fostered in that role.”

Please let us know if you have any more queries!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen and Ram Sabaratnam

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hey @Lastseasonwonder, thanks for your question! A few of my colleagues have made great posts on this, which I’ve included below:

@Andrei Radu :

“ I think it depends on the specific of the work experiences you have and on what you have included in the cover letter. My strategy was to start by focusing on writing the best possible cover letter, and then write my work experience section while taking into account the information I had already written in the cover letter to avoid repetition.

When writing the work experience section, I did not focus on always reaching the 250 word limit. Instead, I tried to write in the same concise and structured style as I did in the cover letter. For work experiences which included many responsibilities and tasks, I would therefore generally end up writing around 200 words. However, for simpler roles, I would sometimes write less than 100. I think the best strategy is to try to include all substantive information which adds value to the application, instead of adding extra information for the sake of reaching the word limit - recruiters will likely notice that and will not appreciate it. Also, the more you write and the more information the recruiter has to sift through, the more difficult will it be for the points of key importance to stick with them after they finish reading - so sometimes, being concise is more helpful to make a lasting impression.”

@Kay Aston :

“I think that there are a few ways you can do it, and I know that some people are more descriptive about skills etc. However, I take a similar approach to you in which I stay fairly factual, and let the experiences speak for themselves. If you want to spell it out a bit more without being overly descriptive, you can take a hybrid approach whereby instead of saying (purely as an example): 'I undertook a review of 10,000 documents in which I developed attention to detail', you could say 'undertook a detail-oriented review of 10,000 documents...'. I hope that makes sense but happy to answer any additional questions!”

@Ram Sabaratnam :

“While the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) can be helpful for highlighting key achievements, it’s not necessary—and it can sometimes limit your ability to make the best use of the word count. Instead, focus on describing what you did in each role in a concise and clear way. Where possible, tie your experiences to commercial law by showing how the tasks you undertook in each role helped you develop essential competencies, such as attention to detail, problem-solving, written communication, client service, and teamwork. You don’t need to mention all of these for each entry; just use examples that showcase how you’ve developed a few legally-relevant skills that were really fostered in that role.”

Please let us know if you have any more queries!
    Appreciate it, many thanks all!

I am in the process of finalising this section. I would love to get it reviewed - where and how can I do this please?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.