• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Hello,

Anything yet from AG?
Day 39 since the AG deadline...Day 105 from when I submitted my application...Yet, I am no closer to a resolution.

The days are getting colder. Harsh. Lonelier. I realised it was more than just the weather. September signals the end of the summer joy and buzz, and the return of the Application Cycle gloom. By now, I thought this turmoil would be over.

I meet with the firm at 2:00 pm today, as part of the AS virtual Diversity Law Fair. Only then, will vengeance will be ensured.

I am the night. I am...wait sorry wrong diary.

C, signing off.

s9111

Esteemed Member
Aug 17, 2023
Hey, I spoke with their Grad Rec at Legal Cheek's law fair and they said they found that the Winter VS clashed too much with term times. So to compensate they are opening up their direct TC apps in Oct/Nov. I was super bummed to hear there was no Winter VS as I basically directed my entire winter strategy for Travers but oh well!! Hope this helps :)
Thank you so much!

Trying4aJob

Jan 19, 2022
For the A&O application, how much are people writing? I have put down all my work experience and extra curriculars etc., but the word doc is now just over 2,000 words. Is this overkill?
(For context, I graduated 2 years ago so do have a fair amount of work experience to enter)

SS21

Distinguished Member
Oct 17, 2022
Allen & Overy now has a requirement of “7 GCSEs at grade 6 or above (including Maths and English).”

This seems new…so if you have less than 7 GCSEs, does that mean you can’t apply?

Also ngl can’t believe they’re stuck on GCSEs whilst most firms are dropping A level reqs lol

Reactions: j8 and AlexJ

rras

Standard Member
Premium Member
Feb 22, 2024
For the A&O application, how much are people writing? I have put down all my work experience and extra curriculars etc., but the word doc is now just over 2,000 words. Is this overkill?
(For context, I graduated 2 years ago so do have a fair amount of work experience to enter)
I was wondering the same, it feels hard to get in all the information they want in less!

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Graduated in 2020…did a MC VS last year and didn’t convert to a TC. Meanwhile, people I went to uni with are now qualified solicitors lmao

*sad violin noises*
I didn’t convert three Vac Schemes. You’ve got time. How do people get TCs at 19, 20, 21 etc? It just makes me think everything is going to be a struggle - SQE, NQ positions etc. I can’t think of anything else to do.

Last edited:

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
If anyone has completed the online app for A&O Shearman, what should I do about the undergraduate module section because it only allows 20 entries? (I completed 25 modules)
Contact the graduate recruitment team, honestly. Send them a transcript - many firms ask for those anyway. You could also send your certificates - if you're successful, they'd probably ask you for those anyway so you're making things easier.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.