• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
I was wondering the same, it feels hard to get in all the information they want in less!
it does feel like a lot, I did two of the recruiter insight events and at both they emphasised how important the work experience section is because it's the only part of the application where they can assess written skills, they mentioned being succint, but also gave a laundry list of things to include.

I feel like they're really looking for us to be able to express ourselves with as few words as possible, whilst still getting all the required information in, which is not going well for me 🥲

Trying4aJob

Jan 19, 2022
For the A&O interactive assessment, do you know if the video questions are at the end or mixed with the other questions? I was hoping to do the non-video questions today and then prepare for the video ones tomorrow.

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
For the A&O interactive assessment, do you know if the video questions are at the end or mixed with the other questions? I was hoping to do the non-video questions today and then prepare for the video ones tomorrow.

I haven't done it myself so i'm not sure, but in the recruiter insight event yesterday, grad rec said once you close the browser you can't go back on, but she didn't specify if the video questions were a separate browser to the assessment.

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
Can someone please help me understand the work experience section of vacation schemes- it’s my first cycle.

Is it frowned upon to copy and paste bullet points detailing the role and responsibilities of each work experience? Or is the general consensus to write a paragraph (depending on word limit) about the role, especially if they ask about skills gained?

For Ashurst, it’s 150 words about roles and responsibilities per job (doesn’t mention skills) which format would suit this best? Bullet points or paragraph?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Can someone please help me understand the work experience section of vacation schemes- it’s my first cycle.

Is it frowned upon to copy and paste bullet points detailing the role and responsibilities of each work experience? Or is the general consensus to write a paragraph (depending on word limit) about the role, especially if they ask about skills gained?

For Ashurst, it’s 150 words about roles and responsibilities per job (doesn’t mention skills) which format would suit this best? Bullet points or paragraph?

Thanks!
If there is an option to format bullet points on the application form (rather than copying them in), then you can use them. If there isn’t, I’d generally recommend paragraphs but is a super concise format rather than trying to connect every sentences up like it is a story/competency answer.

Reactions: SamiyaJ

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
Sorry if this is silly but is the video interview and the interactive assessment one and the same? And both are to be completed before the deadline? Or just the interactive interview and the video app is a separate assessment which you are invited to after the deadline?

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019

Thanks!
Job description; skill one; skill two. For the 'skills', I refer to Shearman & Sterling (now A&O Shearman) and their then Grad Rec lead Paul Gascoyne's skills you'll need as a trainee solicitor. Try to apply those to your work experience. E.g. resourcefulness, decency, work organisation and planning etc. The video explains it more than I ever could.

VMS

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2023
Has anyone else here applied for the HSF Social Mobility Open Day? Does anyone know roughly when we'll hear back? The deadline was the 8th and the Open Day is at the end of the month, so I was hoping we might know soon so the trains to and from London won't be ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
Job description; skill one; skill two. For the 'skills', I refer to Shearman & Sterling (now A&O Shearman) and their then Grad Rec lead Paul Gascoyne's skills you'll need as a trainee solicitor. Try to apply those to your work experience. E.g. resourcefulness, decency, work organisation and planning etc. The video explains it more than I ever could.
Thank you so much! Super helpful 😌

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.