• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2023
has anyone heard from PH, K&L Gates yet?
Doesn't seem like it.
K&L Gates I'm anticipating we will probably hear this week as they said by mid-Sept. PH who knows honestly but I would be really surprised if they'd been giving out interviews and no-one on this forum had got one, especially considering they don't give out offers from their vac scheme and make them reapply through this route.

Edit: Did a forum stalk. PH took roughly a month and a half to invite people to interview for the VS and gave out offers about a month after that. Assuming the time frame is similar, we can probably expect to hear in the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hi, @Jessica Booker. I have recently completed my LLM SQE. For the LLM part, I've taken all the exams but won't get my results until December. In what part of my application, if at all, should I include the LLM portion and the modules I did? Would it be in the postgraduate section?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are well. What are your views on batching multiple legal internships where the responsibilities were largely the same (researching, proof reading etc.)? Will I be shooting myself in the foot here because on their own, these experiences can form 5-6 entries but by batching them, am I giving the impression that throughout these internships I didn't do much (which is why I am writing them together)?

The issue is, if I write them separately, they might look very similar and boring, plus I won't be able to write 200-300 words for each entry.
I’d keep in person internships separate. Rather than the responsibilities being the same, maybe focus on the differences in each experiences rather than repeating the same type of details. You are likely to have worked in different practice areas or with different types of clients or different types of legal processes/documents, or different topics for tasks like research, so focus on those details rather than generic responsibilities ( eg drafting, attending meetings etc).

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I see some firms have now opened their vacation scheme apps. I have graduated uni in June and started paralleling that month.

I would prefer direct TC app as there are less hurdles, do not have to worry about my annual leave allowance and because VS dates are longer they are more likely to clash than TC interview dates.

I am wanting to apply to direct TC for firms that hire a large percentage of people through that route - and VS for firms that favour the VS route - but I don't want to do this if I'll be disadvantaged through lack of legal experience.

What are peoples thoughts on this?
This is a very sensible approach to take.

Reactions: lookingforaTC

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, I am one year post grad- took a gap year and have been paralegalling for about 2 months now. i am looking to apply for straight TC's as I can't get enough days off my job to attend vac schemes. Not sure if I will be disadvantaging myself doing this as I know alot of firms hire through vac schemes. Applying for around 5 firms and doing about 2-3 hours of research per firm before drafting my application. Does this sound like a good plan of action? Intrigued on peoples thoughts!
If you can, I’d try to apply to a slightly higher number of firms, unless you have a very precise set of requirements for future employers which means there are only 5 firms you are interested in.

However, it’s common for some people to focus on direct TC applications for similar reasons to those you have mentioned, and it’s not an issue to do so. As you have mentioned, you will want to focus on firms that have a good ration of hiring from direct TCs, but maybe if there are a couple of firms you are particularly interested in that only recruit from their VS, apply to them anyway and see what happens if you get an offer. It maybe that there is a way to make it work for you with your current employer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, @Jessica Booker. I have recently completed my LLM SQE. For the LLM part, I've taken all the exams but won't get my results until December. In what part of my application, if at all, should I include the LLM portion and the modules I did? Would it be in the postgraduate section?
Include it in the postgraduate section where it is an LLM. You can explain the module grades you have received but say your overall grade is pending/TBC. Firms will be aware that grades might come later in the year.

Reactions: BonanzaBih_

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, how long would you recommend spending on an application/how long should one application realistically take - I know it depends on the number of questions etc but lets say it is a firm with 2/3 application questions?
I really don’t think there is an answer to this unfortunately.

Some people can spend a couple of hours on an application, while others may need to spend much more time researching and then writing. Some people find some questions very easy to write, and others more difficult.

Focus more so on what you feel is the right/comfortable level of research for you based on your existing knowledge and also how important the firm is to you.

Reactions: 👩🎓

Amjaya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker, I want to ask you a question regarding self-funding the SQE. So I have just completed a PGDL and was wandering whether I should self-fund the SQE. If I do this I fear being rejected in the future for Training Contracts or Graduate Apprenticeships. Is it likely that firms will decide not to interview me for a TC / hire me where I have already completed the SQE. I am thinking to do the SQE 1 only, but fear I will have no where to actually qualify. I am thinking also to not do the SQE and keep applying for TC's and hope to be offered a TC and qualify this way - should I do this?

Thank you

Any others who have experience of this please PM me or provide advice on this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I want to ask you a question regarding self-funding the SQE. So I have just completed a PGDL and was wandering whether I should self-fund the SQE. If I do this I fear being rejected in the future for Training Contracts or Graduate Apprenticeships. Is it likely that firms will decide not to interview me for a TC / hire me where I have already completed the SQE. I am thinking to do the SQE 1 only, but fear I will have no where to actually qualify. I am thinking also to not do the SQE and keep applying for TC's and hope to be offered a TC and qualify this way - should I do this?

Thank you

Any others who have experience of this please PM me or provide advice on this.
This is tricky with the apprenticeships.

You won’t be eligible for the apprenticeships if you have studies/completed the SQE (even if this is just SQE1). For the firm to get the funding, you can’t have a qualification of the same subject/level.

Some firms are taking people on as trainees though just with no apprenticeship training though, so it’s worthwhile checking with the firms you are interested in.

If you are applying to TCs where you do your SQE before you start your TC, it won’t be an issue at all though. It is only going to be firms that offer you SQE training during the training contract , but it may not be an issue at all at the same!

Reactions: Amjaya

Amjaya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2023

You won’t be eligible for the apprenticeships if you have studies/completed the SQE (even if this is just SQE1). For the firm to get the funding, you can’t have a qualification of the same subject/level.

Some firms are taking people on as trainees though just with no apprenticeship training though, so it’s worthwhile checking with the firms you are interested in.

If you are applying to TCs where you do your SQE before you start your TC, it won’t be an issue at all though. It is only going to be firms that offer you SQE training during the training contract , but it may not be an issue at all at the same!
Amazing thank you so much for this!

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023

Is it possible that it would be a plus? That if you have completed the SQE firms would not need to sponsor you?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.