• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker, I just have a question regarding application's for this cycle. I graduated 4 years ago- 2.1 Law degree from RG, 1 year as a legal assistant in an international firm pre uni, worked as a Paralegal for a start up for 2 years post uni and now working in a small family business that has nothing to do with law. When applying this cycle, is it worth explaining why I am no longer working in the legal field (it was purely a money thing)?

Also, would it be worth applying for open days and would this actually benefit an application? Or is is better to just apply straight for the VS's? Any help would be appreciated :)
I graduated more than 4 years ago and when I was applying for TC's I didn't explain the non law work experience I had, e.g for money. I just explained how it would help make me a good lawyer. I think grad rec know its a pretty competitive job market. I do think it's a weird place to be in because when I was working in consulting and applying for TC's I was labelled as a 'career changer' in law but law was always my first choice, it was just easier to get a job elsewhere to make money. I didn't explain that, I just saw my non law roles as work experience that was valuable for law.

Last edited:

Hanna Reeves

Mar 3, 2021
I graduated more than 4 years ago and when I was applying for TC's I didn't explain the non law work experience I had, e.g for money. I just explained how it would help make me a good lawyer. I think grad rec know its a pretty competitive job market. I do think it's a weird place to be in because when I was working in consulting and applying for TC's I was labelled as a 'career changer' in law but law was always my first choice, it was just easier to get a job elsewhere to make money. I didn't explain that, I just saw my non law roles as work experience that was valuable for law.
This was incredibly helpful and reassuring! Thank you :)

Reactions: Sharon Wu and jmak

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
I did 250-300 words, I thought around there was probably best as most firms ask for 250.
Interesting! @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, what would you say is the ideal length? I'm currently applying to a firm that has a word limit of 250 but I typically keep all my entries at 100 words, will this be sufficient? For reference, I have like 10 work experience entries.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Interesting! @Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, what would you say is the ideal length? I'm currently applying to a firm that has a word limit of 250 but I typically keep all my entries at 100 words, will this be sufficient? For reference, I have like 10 work experience entries.
Entries do not always have to use the full word limit, especially if they were relatively short term placements or the responsibilities were more focused on a limited number of areas. It may make sense to go into greater word count for roles you have done for long periods of time or that had a lot of varied responsibilities, but I wouldn't expect someone to write 250 words for every work experience entry if they also had a lot of entries to talk about.

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Entries do not always have to use the full word limit, especially if they were relatively short term placements or the responsibilities were more focused on a limited number of areas. It may make sense to go into greater word count for roles you have done for long periods of time or that had a lot of varied responsibilities, but I wouldn't expect someone to write 250 words for every work experience entry if they also had a lot of entries to talk about.
Thank you.

Amjaya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2023
Hi all I am interested in applying to paralegal roles at places like Hogan Lovells, Freshfields etc where can I find these roles - is there a certain time in the year they are available etc? Any help will be appreciated.

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
I did 250-300 words, I thought around there was probably best as most firms ask for 250.
Most law firms also ask for a cover letter that is supposed to be a page long but A&O do not, so I am not sure if we are supposed to compensate with the amount of detail we put into the work experience section. Also during the virtual insight meeting graduate recruitment stress that there is no word limit and that they would like us to go into detail. That is why I am really torn. Thank you for your response.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Most law firms also ask for a cover letter that is supposed to be a page long but A&O do not, so I am not sure if we are supposed to compensate with the amount of detail we put into the work experience section. Also during the virtual insight meeting graduate recruitment stress that there is no word limit and that they would like us to go into detail. That is why I am really torn. Thank you for your response.
You won’t need to compensate just because a firm doesn’t have a cover letter. A cover letter would cover different aspects than a work experience section.

If you feel you need to go into more detail about certain work experience entries, do not worry if your entry is longer (say 400-500 words). But I would only expect this level of detail is needed in role that are either complex or done for a long period of time. I would not expect a 2 week vacation scheme for instance to need much more than 250-300 words nor a part-time job working in retail.

Sometimes people go with more content but often this is bulking out answers with additional phrasing and self explanatory details that don’t need to be emphasised.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dentons TC 💯💯
Amazing news - congratulations!!

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF by NBC Olympics

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.