• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

elektrajenkov

Star Member
Dec 20, 2023
Just curious but does anyone know if bird & Bird actually recruit from direct tc?
They do - just very few each year in the past (but take into account they only take ~18 trainees in each cohort too). They definitely prefer people do the Vacation Scheme and those who are successful with direct TC apps seem to either have not been able to do a VS or have experience in law from what I can tell!

Reactions: BonanzaBih_

User5678

Aug 16, 2024
@Jessica Booker I was looking for dates when the in house tc applications open for companies like EY, Deloitte, PWC and KPMG but I cannot seem to find any info online. Please could you help me with this and are there any other companies which provide an in house TC? I looked at the link you sent (insta page) and that seems to have opportunities for paralegals and associates.

Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker I was looking for dates when the in house tc applications open for companies like EY, Deloitte, PWC and KPMG but I cannot seem to find any info online. Please could you help me with this and are there any other companies which provide an in house TC? I looked at the link you sent (insta page) and that seems to have opportunities for paralegals and associates.

Thank you in advance.
I don't know of any sources that cover this unfortunately.

lookingforaTC

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2024
They do - just very few each year in the past (but take into account they only take ~18 trainees in each cohort too). They definitely prefer people do the Vacation Scheme and those who are successful with direct TC apps seem to either have not been able to do a VS or have experience in law from what I can tell!
Which firms take in the most trainees from direct TC?

LB24

Valued Member
Sep 26, 2023
Just for info, I emailed AG asking for a time estimate to hear back about apps and they only said what was in the app confirmation email, in that we will hear within 10 weeks of the deadline

Last edited:
Reactions: Iwantatcpls

lookingforaTC

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2024
I see some firms have now opened their vacation scheme apps. I have graduated uni in June and started paralleling that month.

I would prefer direct TC app as there are less hurdles, do not have to worry about my annual leave allowance and because VS dates are longer they are more likely to clash than TC interview dates.

I am wanting to apply to direct TC for firms that hire a large percentage of people through that route - and VS for firms that favour the VS route - but I don't want to do this if I'll be disadvantaged through lack of legal experience.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

PSharon

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2023
I see some firms have now opened their vacation scheme apps. I have graduated uni in June and started paralleling that month.

I would prefer direct TC app as there are less hurdles, do not have to worry about my annual leave allowance and because VS dates are longer they are more likely to clash than TC interview dates.

I am wanting to apply to direct TC for firms that hire a large percentage of people through that route - and VS for firms that favour the VS route - but I don't want to do this if I'll be disadvantaged through lack of legal experience.

What are peoples thoughts on this?
How did you find a paralegal role? I graduated last year and I haven’t been able to get any roles. No calls from recruiters either

hmevey

Standard Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hey guys, I am one year post grad- took a gap year and have been paralegalling for about 2 months now. i am looking to apply for straight TC's as I can't get enough days off my job to attend vac schemes. Not sure if I will be disadvantaging myself doing this as I know alot of firms hire through vac schemes. Applying for around 5 firms and doing about 2-3 hours of research per firm before drafting my application. Does this sound like a good plan of action? Intrigued on peoples thoughts!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are well. What are your views on batching multiple legal internships where the responsibilities were largely the same (researching, proof reading etc.)? Will I be shooting myself in the foot here because on their own, these experiences can form 5-6 entries but by batching them, am I giving the impression that throughout these internships I didn't do much (which is why I am writing them together)?

The issue is, if I write them separately, they might look very similar and boring, plus I won't be able to write 200-300 words for each entry.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.