• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Hanna Reeves

Mar 3, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker, I just have a question regarding application's for this cycle. I graduated 4 years ago- 2.1 Law degree from RG, 1 year as a legal assistant in an international firm pre uni, worked as a Paralegal for a start up for 2 years post uni and now working in a small family business that has nothing to do with law. When applying this cycle, is it worth explaining why I am no longer working in the legal field (it was purely a money thing)?

Also, would it be worth applying for open days and would this actually benefit an application? Or is is better to just apply straight for the VS's? Any help would be appreciated :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I just have a question regarding application's for this cycle. I graduated 4 years ago- 2.1 Law degree from RG, 1 year as a legal assistant in an international firm pre uni, worked as a Paralegal for a start up for 2 years post uni and now working in a small family business that has nothing to do with law. When applying this cycle, is it worth explaining why I am no longer working in the legal field (it was purely a money thing)?

Also, would it be worth applying for open days and would this actually benefit an application? Or is is better to just apply straight for the VS's? Any help would be appreciated :)
I would apply for open days when they are ahead of the firm's deadlines for either VS or TCs where you can, and particularly where you may not be eligible for the firm's vacation scheme. Where you can apply directly for VS, then go for it, but open days can be a great way to interact with the firm before finalising an application, and it can really help to get your foot in the door (if you impress on the open day, the firm will be waiting for your application).

It might be worthwhile referencing the need to step away from law. You could either present this in an "any additional information" section or within your work experience entry for your family business you could reference at the start or end of the entry something along the lines of "Stepped away from legal roles to take up this opportunity due to the financial benefits of the pay associated with the role".

Reactions: Hanna Reeves

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What is the deal with the Disability Confident scheme that is apparently there to interview disabled candidates who meet the minimum criteria? Never had an interview through this lol.
The employer is likely to have a set of benchmarks beyond the basics of an application like academics. This may include a minimum "score" that applications are assessed against.

Any candidate who applies via the Disability Confident scheme who meets this benchmark will be assessed. The difficulty is knowing what the benchmark is or what it consists of. For instance, I know one firm that had it that still used a very strong "spelling mistake and you are out" approach even with Disability Confident applicants, which was pretty detrimental to anyone with neurodiversity like dyslexia.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker! I’m waiting to hear back from a firm after the final interview. I’ve recently passed my sqe2. Would it worth sending them an email with my updated results?
You can do, but I don't think it is necessary to do this at the same time, especially if you are expecting to hear back from them this week.

Reactions: BonanzaBih_

User5678

Aug 16, 2024
FYI - I emailed dentons yesterday and they got back to me just now

Thank you for your email.

We are in the process of reviewing a high volume of applications.

I can confirm that you have not missed any communications from us and that we will be in touch soon to provide an update on your application.

• ℹ️
Reactions: VMS and Sharon Wu

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
FYI - I emailed dentons yesterday and they got back to me just now

Thank you for your email.

We are in the process of reviewing a high volume of applications.

I can confirm that you have not missed any communications from us and that we will be in touch soon to provide an update on your application.
I want to see an email that says the following:

"We received a really low number of applications. We'll get back to you in 10 minutes."

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
Any who is doing the application for the A&O Shearman vac scheme, how long are you making your work experience section. I know there is no word limit but I am not sure how much is too much. For reference mine is currently 6 pages.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.