• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am looking to apply to Kennedys for a direct TC this cycle, but I have seen conflicting information, which states that graduates can only apply. I will be finishing my law degree in May 2025. @Jessica Booker do you have any insight into this? I have emailed HR to ask as well.
Unfortunately I can’t see anything on their website where they are not open yet and where their 2025 opportunities are now closed.

Many candidates apply to law firms for vacation schemes and training contracts, and there are only limited places at each firm.

This may not be the first or second cycle for applicants but their fifth or tenth cycle.

Applying for paralegal positions are as, if not more, competitive than vacation schemes and training contracts. Perhaps this may be because firms may think candidates are applying for a training contract and are not committed long term to the paralegal role.

I have a 2.1 at undergraduate level from a RG-university, passed the LPC and have an LLM from Oxbridge/Durham/UCL/LSE. I have also completed vacation schemes at international and national law firms.

What do people do in order to avoid unemployment and go on state benefits such as JSA or universal credit?

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

lookingforaTC

Distinguished Member
Feb 16, 2024
Many candidates apply to law firms for vacation schemes and training contracts, and there are only limited places at each firm.

This may not be the first or second cycle for applicants but their fifth or tenth cycle.

Applying for paralegal positions are as, if not more, competitive than vacation schemes and training contracts. Perhaps this may be because firms may think candidates are applying for a training contract and are not committed long term to the paralegal role.

I have a 2.1 at undergraduate level from a RG-university, passed the LPC and have an LLM from Oxbridge/Durham/UCL/LSE. I have also completed vacation schemes at international and national law firms.

What do people do in order to avoid unemployment and go on state benefits such as JSA or universal credit?
I really am surprised by firms being off put from hiring someone for paralegal over commitment.

Firms always say they prefer applicants to have sat the SQE - but why would anyone put them selves through SQE to become a career paralegal?

Reactions: VMS and justgivnr

fran2948

Jan 24, 2022
Hi all,

I am planning to apply next intake but have been out of the legal waters a few years working abroad.
I am British and currently live overseas, so I assume direct TCs are my best option (since we are long past the COVID days of online VS). I did a VS back when assessment centres were online, but VS were in-person.
My main concern is if there is anything I will have to attend in-person, such as assessment days. Can anyone with experience help shed some light? Have assessment centres also transitioned back to being in-person? Or, if you have pre-covid experience, what was done in these situations then?

Many thanks :)

TC seeker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    The best way to handle SJT tests is to choose the most chaotic and unpredictable answers possible. This will show you're not afraid to take risks and think outside the box. Also, completely ignore the company's core values—it's all about standing out! Maybe even consider giving answers that have nothing to do with the question. Good luck, and remember, there are no wrong answers, just wildly interesting ones!
    Thank you!

WhiskeyCharlie

Standard Member
    Jan 3, 2023

I don't entirely agree that firms question the commitment of the candidates with TCs secured. It feels more and more to me, like firms and recruiters are gatekeeping the jobs. How many postings do you see these days that state X experience required for an entry-level role (even asking for 3-6 months) or "paralegal role - TC SECURED / FUTUREE TRAINEE"??

It's frustrating, I've been there and it did feel a bit hopeless, why does a TC at a firm with non-related practice areas make another individual more qualified for a transactional RE role? Why does a 2 week vacation scheme somehow magically count as 3-6 months of experience in the eyes of recruiters?
    I would say, the most important thing to avoid unemployment is keep applying. Also, networking, I cannot stress how important it is. If you know when a post is opening up and apply first, can have someone refer you etc. it makes all the difference these days, especially in this economy/ job market. I would also put particular emphasis in applying to firms that allow for internal TC application/promotion. Plenty US firms do as well as other international city outfits.
    In my experience, most hiring managers know full well that most paralegals are not committed long term and are applying for training contracts. Its HR and recruitment who gatekeep the roles.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I really am surprised by firms being off put from hiring someone for paralegal over commitment.

Firms always say they prefer applicants to have sat the SQE - but why would anyone put them selves through SQE to become a career paralegal?
    It used to be the same with the LPC - many paralegal roles would require the LPC which someone would have to have self-funded. I don't really agree with it, but it has been very common in the industry for decades.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

AlexJ

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I don't entirely agree that firms question the commitment of the candidates with TCs secured. It feels more and more to me, like firms and recruiters are gatekeeping the jobs. How many postings do you see these days that state X experience required for an entry-level role (even asking for 3-6 months) or "paralegal role - TC SECURED / FUTUREE TRAINEE"??

It's frustrating, I've been there and it did feel a bit hopeless, why does a TC at a firm with non-related practice areas make another individual more qualified for a transactional RE role? Why does a 2 week vacation scheme somehow magically count as 3-6 months of experience in the eyes of recruiters?
    I would say, the most important thing to avoid unemployment is keep applying. Also, networking, I cannot stress how important it is. If you know when a post is opening up and apply first, can have someone refer you etc. it makes all the difference these days, especially in this economy/ job market. I would also put particular emphasis in applying to firms that allow for internal TC application/promotion. Plenty US firms do as well as other international city outfits.
    In my experience, most hiring managers know full well that most paralegals are not committed long term and are applying for training contracts. Its HR and recruitment who gatekeep the roles.
    Paralegals are generally hired quickly and cheaply, by only taking those with TCs they outsource the quality check part of the recruitment process and can hire on FTCs / for a defined length of time without upsetting either party. Not saying I agree with it, but you can understand why they do it

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The "future trainee" criteria has been one used for decades too. It ultimately is sifting candidates out and ensuring the quality of candidate is likely to be high, because they have gone through a rigorous selection process with a firm. It is like applying an assessment without having to actually assess the candidate yourself. In these instances, the roles are likely to be fixed term contracts rather than permanent roles, which works for both sides.

It is the permanent paralegal roles that firms will want someone not currently looking to secure a TC. Paralegal roles have exceptional high turn over and employers want to try and ensure they aren't onboarding someone, only for them to leave less than 6 months later when they have secured a TC and need to start the LPC/SQE/TC,

Reactions: Jaysen and AlexJ

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    Hi all,

I am planning to apply next intake but have been out of the legal waters a few years working abroad.
    I am British and currently live overseas, so I assume direct TCs are my best option (since we are long past the COVID days of online VS). I did a VS back when assessment centres were online, but VS were in-person.
    My main concern is if there is anything I will have to attend in-person, such as assessment days. Can anyone with experience help shed some light? Have assessment centres also transitioned back to being in-person? Or, if you have pre-covid experience, what was done in these situations then?

Many thanks :)

Hi! In my experience, assessment centres and final stage interviews have now transitioned to being in-person. However, some firms do offer virtual assessment centre options, or, if they don't, might be open to offering you a virtual arrangement upon request if you cannot travel to the UK.

Reactions: fran2948

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.