• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
At what point of the recruitment process will GR contact your references? And what happens if one reference doesn't respond to them?
This varies from firm to firm, but most likely about 6-8 weeks before you onboard as a trainee, but some will do it before you onboard to law school. Some ask for academic references before they make offers or even before final interview stage though.

If they don’t respond, they will suggest whether alternative information can be presented. For instance, I had a recruitment agency I worked through refuse to confirm I had worked via them, and so I provided bank statements to show they had paid me regularly for the time I had on my application, and sent them emails that showed by original offer/contract.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I just looked at EMW and would like to give them the badge of shame.

SEVEN questions despite being a pretty small firm with no description of salary or funding with their “testimonials” coming from IT helpdesk staff
They offer solicitor graduate apprenticeships so you wouldn’t need funding as you would be studying alongside your TC.

Smaller or boutique firms can often have a more intense application/recruitment process to ensure they are getting the right candidates. They tend to not want to encourage lots of applicants with an easy form as they don’t have the same type of technology or resource to be able to screen than the larger firms have.

Reactions: AlexJ

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
They offer solicitor graduate apprenticeships so you wouldn’t need funding as you would be studying alongside your TC.

Smaller or boutique firms can often have a more intense application/recruitment process to ensure they are getting the right candidates. They tend to not want to encourage lots of applicants with an easy form as they don’t have the same type of technology or resource to be able to screen than the larger firms have.
The GSA sadly does not appear to be open yet unless it’s a separate site.

Do smaller firms try to target those with experience or just those with some sort of specific passion for the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The GSA sadly does not appear to be open yet unless it’s a separate site.

Do smaller firms try to target those with experience or just those with some sort of specific passion for the firm?
I suspect the GSA is the Training Contract opportunity.

Like all firms they will be looking for a clear alignment to them. They know they won’t be most candidates first choice, and so they tend to look closely at motivations, and ultimately a difficult or time intensive recruitment process will remove those not truly motivated.

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
I suspect the GSA is the Training Contract opportunity.

Like all firms they will be looking for a clear alignment to them. They know they won’t be most candidates first choice, and so they tend to look closely at motivations, and ultimately a difficult or time intensive recruitment process will remove those not truly motivated.
Does that mean I shouldn’t apply if it’s not my first choice by a long stretch

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does that mean I shouldn’t apply if it’s not my first choice by a long stretch
You can apply - there’s nothing stopping you, but if ultimately you got an offer and you know you’d be disappointed that you took this TC, I don’t think you should apply.

Reactions: lookingforaTC

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.