• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Thom&as

Feb 27, 2024
Rejected by Slaughter and May for a direct TC post interview. Not ideal, especially since they are the firm that I have had the most experiences and interactions with, and this rejection essentially means they won't reinvite me to interviews on subsequent applications unless there's a significant difference in my application. Freshfields also rejected me without reaching the WG test even after I put a lot of effort into that application.

Been feeling a lot of self-doubt.

I'll probably apply to the A&O Shearman winter scheme next, does anyone know if it's a rolling application? Also would you still recommend applying when I have literally zero experiences with the firm?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Rejected by Slaughter and May for a direct TC post interview. Not ideal, especially since they are the firm that I have had the most experiences and interactions with, and this rejection essentially means they won't reinvite me to interviews on subsequent applications unless there's a significant difference in my application. Freshfields also rejected me without reaching the WG test even after I put a lot of effort into that application.

I'll probably apply to the A&O Shearman winter scheme next, does anyone know if it's a rolling application? Also would you still recommend applying when I have literally zero experiences with the firm?
    I don’t think they’re rolling, last year they sent an automatic test to complete which was an SJT and VI. Once the deadline has passed they review - reject or invite to AC.

Reactions: Thom&as and Zi48

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I am sorry to hear this - and I'd understand why you'd feel self doubt after being rejected post interview. It's a lot to go through the process, meet the firm, get your hopes high, and then get rejected.

I would say that if you were able to reach the final stage TC interview, I'd trust that you would get through with other firms.

studentdelaw786

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2019
    Hi all, I hope you’re all well!!

I have been invited to a Life at Mayer Brown Trainee Job Simulation as part of my direct TC application!

Can anyone please offer me some detailed tips and advice to doing well in this?

I’d be really grateful for the help :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

mat123

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Mar 20, 2024
    Hi,

Does anyone know any particular organisations or groups through which I can do mock video interviews, assessment centres and interviews specifically for TC applications? I know that TCLA and Aspiring Solicitors offer these but I'm just eager to know what else is out there to get some practice in and to sign up before the cycle starts!

Thanks!

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
    Mar 25, 2024

Why won’t they send me my post app PFO yet if you’ve had an interview

TC seeker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023

Can I PM you some questions about Slaughter and May's interview?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.