TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Hi there! I'm applying for a host of vac schemes, open days, training contracts etc as a non-law grad starting my conversion in January. I did a small vac scheme for a boutique firm over summer and I don't know whether its better to apply straight for training contracts or to vac schemes? Any advice would be amazing, thanks!!

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
For VSs recruited on a rolling basis, when is realistically 'too late' before the final deadline for applications to be worth sending off?

Thinking about applying to Dechert WVS today (deadline 25th oct, rolling) but if its already a futile effort then I'll save it for spring.

Thanks
I think its never really futile, i got invited to AC for HL WVS in DECEMEBER, like a week before it starts.

It just becomes increasingly competitive I think, unless you specifically want the WVS date then probs go spring imo.

• 🤝
Reactions: Crazy_f00

Crazy_f00

Standard Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 30, 2024
    I think its never really futile, i got invited to AC for HL WVS in DECEMEBER, like a week before it starts.

It just becomes increasingly competitive I think, unless you specifically want the WVS date then probs go spring imo.
    Ok thanks, I appreciate the insight. In what way does it get more competitive? Is that because they start inviting people for assessment centres far in advance of the deadline, and inevitably start giving out offers, thus reducing the pool of places in advance of the 'bulk' of applications come in? I guess the relevant question is whether you or anyone else has got VS offers / AC offers in advance even of the application deadline.

Cheers

Apple

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Ok thanks, I appreciate the insight. In what way does it get more competitive? Is that because they start inviting people for assessment centres far in advance of the deadline, and inevitably start giving out offers, thus reducing the pool of places in advance of the 'bulk' of applications come in? I guess the relevant question is whether you or anyone else has got VS offers / AC offers in advance even of the application deadline.

Cheers
    That's just my theory, it might not be the case, Jessica will know more. But its definitely not futile, if its between applying or not, apply.

EDIT: Actually, a recruiter at HL told me as they near the deadline for their schemes the "optional additional information" essentially becomes mandatory to distinguish between applicants. So I suppose it does just become a bit more competitive, as in lots of apps for less spots.

Reactions: Crazy_f00

Crazy_f00

Standard Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 30, 2024

Cheers
    @Jessica Booker

Crazy_f00

Standard Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 30, 2024
    That's just my theory, it might not be the case, Jessica will know more. But its definitely not futile, if its between applying or not, apply.

EDIT: Actually, a recruiter at HL told me as they near the deadline for their schemes the "optional additional information" essentially becomes mandatory to distinguish between applicants. So I suppose it does just become a bit more competitive, as in lots of apps for less spots.
    Thanks, appreciate the responses

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.