TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi there! I'm applying for a host of vac schemes, open days, training contracts etc as a non-law grad starting my conversion in January. I did a small vac scheme for a boutique firm over summer and I don't know whether its better to apply straight for training contracts or to vac schemes? Any advice would be amazing, thanks!!
Hi @LawLawLawLawLaw! The short answer is that you should still apply mostly for vacation schemes. This is is what I advised even candidates who had more than one prior VS at large firms and/or many other legal work experiences. The reason is that the vast majority of firms either (i) recruit solely through the VS track, or (ii) have a strong preference for recruiting solely through the VS track. Notwithstanding how impressive your performance may be, it will be exponentially more difficult to convince a firm to make a substantial investment into you in the form of a TC offer after only meeting you for the day of the AC. I have actually heard some horror stories of candidates who seemed brilliantly gifted in their interviews but were unable to function in an office setting in the VS at all. That is why firms have increasingly looked to assess applicants on more than their CV and interview performance, by looking holistically as to how well they fit in their teams. As such, even if a firm has a direct TC track, I would encourage you to apply for a VS unless one of the caveats bellow apply:
  • The firm is one of the few that is know to recruit a very substantial part of their trainee cohort from the direct TC route;
  • You would not be able to apply to the VS on time, but because its deadline is later in the year you would have time to submit a direct TC application;
  • Visa working restrictions for the VS period ;
  • Other reasons why you will generally be unavailable to work in the VS period;

TrainingContract2024

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 28, 2024
You're welcome! I'm by no means an expert but the application also requires you to give a 400 word personal statement, so that would ideally be the best chance for you to take some of your experiences/skills and tailor them to the firm. I'm sure @Jessica Booker could provide some more accurate advice :)
90%+ of your CV will not be tailored to the firm as it should just show the best evidence of your experiences to date.

However, the 10% that can be tailored can be done by:
  • Prioritising content that is more focused on elements that align to the firm's work - e.g. if you did a vacation scheme where you worked in both private client and litigation departments, it would make sense to prioritise the litigation bullet points over the private client ones in your CV (literally putting them first)
  • Thinking about highlighting the skills the firm is looking for. For instance, Freshfields say they look for "determination, enthusiasm, time management, flexibility, attention to detail, an interest in business, willingness to work as a team, and resilience". If it was me, I'd try to make references to time management, attention to detail and team working in my CV.
Thank you so much Jessica!

Runsim

Oct 12, 2024
I have completed my LPC, however even-though I passed all my exams, I didn’t pass as well as I hoped for. This was down to several personal mitigating circumstances. I obtained a 1:1 during my undergraduate degree. I know most law firms do not state if they have a threshold for LPC grades but I am assuming if it is anything less than a commendation they might not look favourable on this. Please could someone advise if law firms have threshold and if I should be looking to take the SQE 1 instead.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have completed my LPC, however even-though I passed all my exams, I didn’t pass as well as I hoped for. This was down to several personal mitigating circumstances. I obtained a 1:1 during my undergraduate degree. I know most law firms do not state if they have a threshold for LPC grades but I am assuming if it is anything less than a commendation they might not look favourable on this. Please could someone advise if law firms have threshold and if I should be looking to take the SQE 1 instead.
I don't think it is worthwhile doing SQE1 on top of the LPC. You'd still have to declare your LPC results for most firms.

It will depend on the firm - some firms set an LPC requirement for their sponsored students, and if they do they would apply the same criteria to anyone who self-funded. But there are plenty of firms who don't do this and will not need a commendation or above in the LPC. As you have got a first in your undergraduate degree, this is also a major advantage and one that firms will weigh up carefully alongside your LPC results.

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
I have a question- CMS have an insight day for "Non-law undergraduates and graduates studying in England, Wales or NI". I am a non-law graduate, however I have also completed the PGDL. Does this disqualify me from the insight day or could I still apply? (or should I be emailing early careers for clarification). Thanks!

Last edited:

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Does Bristows sponsor international students?

Hiya @Maddy :)

Having been in your shoes (I once applied to a firm only to realise that I didn't meet their eligibility requirements sigh), I think it’s always a good idea to approach graduate recruitment directly via email to ask, just to be sure. That being said, I did a bit of digging and it seems the firm is listed on the Register of Licensed Sponsors. However, policies around sponsorship can change, and firms may have specific criteria for the roles they sponsor. Getting confirmation from grad rec will give you a clear answer and help you plan your next steps. Best of luck and I hope you can apply!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hi there! I'm applying for a host of vac schemes, open days, training contracts etc as a non-law grad starting my conversion in January. I did a small vac scheme for a boutique firm over summer and I don't know whether its better to apply straight for training contracts or to vac schemes? Any advice would be amazing, thanks!!

Howdy @LawLawLawLawLaw

It's fantastic that you already have experience at a boutique firm! That will definitely help in your applications. I’d highly recommend focusing on vacation scheme applications, especially since many firms either only accept applicants through this route or recruit most of their trainees from it. This is particularly common with US-headquartered firms, where the vacation schemes are often seen as the main path to securing a training contract.

I'm also a believer in the view that vacation schemes are a great way to get a real sense of whether a firm’s culture and work align with your own preferences and goals—something that's hard to gauge from the outside or even just by attending an open day. You’ll have the chance to meet people, experience the work, and see if it’s a place you’d truly enjoy building your career. For what it's worth, some of the most important mentors and friends I've since made have come from firms that I did vacation schemes with, even though I won't be joining those firms as a trainee.

That said, if there’s a firm you’re particularly keen on that offers a direct training contract route and you feel prepared, it’s absolutely worth applying that way. If it helps, you can also find a list of where firms typically recruit their trainees from here. Our aim in making that thread was to help applicants develop a better strategy as to how they will be making their applications to firms.

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hi @Andrei Radu and @Ram Sabaratnam

I trust you are well.

I work full-time, I cannot possibly attend open days and I am struggling to understand the firm's competitive edge.

Firms seem to be very similar when it comes to their practice areas, specifically their transactional expertise.
How do you distinguish the M&A practice of one firm from another? A lot of firms seem to work on similar deals and with similar clients and I am struggling. Is there a specific element that I need to focus on?
Thank you in advance.

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024

Hiya @Runsim :)

Just to build off the typically excellent advice of @Jessica Booker, I wanted to reiterate the importance of remembering that not every firm has rigid grade cut-offs. There are also plenty of fantastic firms that value other qualities just as highly as academic performance. As Jess mentioned, your first-class undergraduate will be helpful. But if you're still worried, I'd encourage you to target firms with more flexible requirements. This will also help you spend your time making applications where you're more likely to succeed. If you have mitigating circumstances, make sure to highlight them clearly in your applications.

As someone who has myself experienced academic challenges, another great way to strengthen your applications is by gaining and demonstrating relevant work experience. I should emphasise here that this doesn’t necessarily have to be in the legal sector. Before my first vacation scheme, most of my work experience was outside of the legal profession. Experience in roles that develop transferable skills (e.g. communication, teamwork, problem-solving, or leadership) can demonstrate that you have what it takes to be a strong trainee and future lawyer.

Also, framing plays an important role here. Despite a handful of weak grades, I've made sure to discuss everything from my deep involvement in volunteering, improvised comedy, and student societies to demonstrate my skills and commitment. These experiences, combined with your academic background, paint a fuller picture for recruiters. Best of luck with your application!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.