Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker and @Andrei Radu,

I am currently amending my CMS application, one of the questions asks 'Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development?'

I mentioned two work examples, which are fine but I would like to diversify my answer. I work full-time so I do not have any examples from when I studied because it was a while ago. However, in my free time, I am completing corporate finance online classes from Yale and Bocconi, can I write about this or not?
I would try to focus on one example where the firm is asking for "a specific instance" - this suggests they just want one example. I think with the online classes, have you had to utilise the technology yourself? I would be concerned that with online classes it is more the functionality the university has built into the online learning rather than you utilising the technology itself, and so you'd have to be clear as to how you personally used technology, especially compared to other students who also completed the course.

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
I'm stuck on this Watson Glaser practice question, I will not say what the correct answer is in the post, but what do people think the answer to this is, out of curiosity? As, I'm not sure whether I overthink these, but I don't understand the reasoning as to why the correct answer is indeed the answer:

Inference: On average, the older children within a school year tend to do better than those whose birthdays are later in the year. This effect is most notable in younger children but continues to an extent throughout the education system. Recent research also shows that children who were older than their classmates are overrepresented in top universities and obtain higher-paying jobs.

Proposed Inference: More socially mature children do better in school.

Is this True, Probably True, Insufficient Data, Probably False, or False?
Would also say insufficient data because being socially mature is not necessarily the same as being older...But not 100% sure - did you manage to see what the correct answer is?

Reactions: ashwright

OliverTwist

Standard Member
Sep 24, 2023
Would also say insufficient data because being socially mature is not necessarily the same as being older...But not 100% sure - did you manage to see what the correct answer is?
It's insufficient data. I guess, I had implied that, which is exactly what you aren't supposed to do with these questions.

Practice makes perfect though, eh!

lawstudent2002

Standard Member
Dec 10, 2022
Quick question , hope someone can help x . So basically , I applied for a winter vac scheme at a firm and they are pleased to progress me to the next stage . However , the spaces for the winter vac scheme interviews and assessment centers are full as the application process has been rolling , and they offered to push me onto the spring or summer scheme . But I start my graduate job ( not in law) in January and we are advised not to take annual leave in the first 3-6 months ( which would be 10 whole days!) . They gave me 2 options , to either transfer the application to the spring/summer scheme or close my application. I really really like the firm but don't know what to do . Should I beg ( obviously exaggerating lol) for the winter and honestly explain that i cant do summer or spring OR should I still progress to the next stage ( knowing I cant attend) or should I just call it a day . Thanks !! Sorry its kinda long ...
@Jessica Booker

OliverTwist

Standard Member
Sep 24, 2023
You'll get there mate don't worry - a lot of the time your gut feeling tends to be right as well so when the going gets tough trust your instincts!
I need to nail them. I'll be on my way back to the work house, with Mr Bumble, if I don't.

hungry oliver twist GIF

• Haha
Reactions: VMS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Could you not do the summer scheme? That would be nearly six months after your graduate scheme starts.

I would ask to move to summer and then try and work out how to manage it if you got an offer with your future employer

Reactions: lawstudent2002

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Jones Day AC and thrilled. But they swapped me to Summer because of student visa restrictions I cannot work during the Winter or Spring dates. Has that happened to anyone before? I am not sure if Jones Day’s summer dates work well for me because it’s my dissertation ddl month. But again I know they don’t do direct TC.

Any suggestion on what to do? Go ahead with summer and make arrangements for my diss or ask them to see if there’s possibility to be considered for direct TC? 😶‍🌫️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Jones Day AC and thrilled. But they swapped me to Summer because of student visa restrictions I cannot work during the Winter or Spring dates. Has that happened to anyone before? I am not sure if Jones Day’s summer dates work well for me because it’s my dissertation ddl month. But again I know they don’t do direct TC.

Any suggestion on what to do? Go ahead with summer and make arrangements for my diss or ask them to see if there’s possibility to be considered for direct TC? 😶‍🌫️
    I’d try to make the summer scheme work. If they don’t do direct TC, I doubt they would make an exception unfortunately or would at least make you wait for a direct TC process until their vac scheme concluded.

You might as well go to the AC and see how you get on. If you get an offer, you can then try to work out the logistics from there.

Reactions: ayiiii05

Izzy1026

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    I’d try to make the summer scheme work. If they don’t do direct TC, I doubt they would make an exception unfortunately or would at least make you wait for a direct TC process until their vac scheme concluded.

You might as well go to the AC and see how you get on. If you get an offer, you can then try to work out the logistics from there.
    Thank you Jess! That’s a great perspective to look at it. I’ll take your advice :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.