TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Do we need to maximise the word count for the work experience section for HL?
I do not think you need to unnecessarily try to maximize work experience sections. Generally, the only places where firms expect you to utilize all the available word count is the motivational/competency/commercial awareness questions. Graduate recruiters know that student work experiences can significantly vary in the nature of the relevant tasks and responsibilities and will probably not expect you to write 250 words to describe a short volunteering or virtual internship experience.

That said, I do think you should analyze your past work experiences from all sides. You will find that they have many more valuable aspects than you previously thought.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
For the Taylor Wessing CL, I wanted to talk about their Venture Capital practice and mention a deal. I found a deal that I'm interested in but it's from 2019 :/ It's highlighted to be the largest-ever fundraising in the digital health sector and of course that stood out to me. Should I still write about it?
I would try to find something more recent if possible - besides the firm's website, you might search for deals in the general legal press (particularly The Lawyer and Law.com may be useful) and on the firm's LinkedIn page. However, if you do not find a deal which is similarly unique/interests you to a similar extent/fits similarly well with your motivations, I would keep the current one. I believe the quality of your explanation of your interest in a deal is more important than the recency of a deal from a recruiter's perspective.

• 🏆
Reactions: ayiiii05

jojo23

Sep 15, 2024
What would you guys say White & Case's key practice area is? They were ranked highly in the league table for M&A but the Chambers/Legal500 rankings don't really reflect this. Their Projects/Infrastructure are ranked highly though.
Debt capital finance and equity capital finance- these were the two areas they emphasised the most when i went to an open day. They market themselves as full service though.

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
@Andrei Radu and @Ram Sabaratnam,

I trust you are well.

I am currently applying to Reed Smith and I am struggling with one specific question 'Focusing on one of Reed Smith`s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges could this present Reed Smith or our clients?'

I have identified the industry and two issues, however, I feel that they present many opportunities to Reed Smith and their clients. Do I need to identify a challenge too?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
What would you guys say White & Case's key practice area is? They were ranked highly in the league table for M&A but the Chambers/Legal500 rankings don't really reflect this. Their Projects/Infrastructure are ranked highly though.
So while M&A and PE are big teams within the firm, White & Case is not particularly known for this, especially when compared to rivals like Latham and Kirkland. I think the biggest team teams of the firm which are also considered to be among the market leaders in their field in the City are for capital markets - W&C is one of the very few firms that gets band 1 Chambers rankings for both equity and debt capital markets work.

Also, W&C has a very strong banking practice - not quite as well known as their capital markets one, but it is sufficiently well regarded to motivate you to discuss it in an application.

Besides that, the firm is also leading in projects and international arbitration, but those practices aren't as large as the aforementioned ones.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

If you mention a deal in your application, would you be expected to mention it again during an assessment center interview e.g. in a 'why this firm' question and expand on why it caught your attention?

I was also wondering if, in such an interview, you could mention a deal that you didn't mention in your application.

Thank you :)
No - you don’t necessarily need to repeat these type of details in interviews unless you feel it is appropriate to do so. I would encourage anyone interviewing to maybe consider other examples of client work that interests them so it doesn’t sound like you only have done research into one matter though.

Reactions: seaweed.bond

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Andrei Radu and @Ram Sabaratnam,

I trust you are well.

I am currently applying to Reed Smith and I am struggling with one specific question 'Focusing on one of Reed Smith`s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges could this present Reed Smith or our clients?'

I have identified the industry and two issues, however, I feel that they present many opportunities to Reed Smith and their clients. Do I need to identify a challenge too?

Thank you in advance for your help.
It is fine to just focus on opportunities as they have used “or” rather than “and”.

Shah74k

Star Member
Premium Member
Oct 12, 2023
So while M&A and PE are big teams within the firm, White & Case is not particularly known for this, especially when compared to rivals like Latham and Kirkland. I think the biggest team teams of the firm which are also considered to be among the market leaders in their field in the City are for capital markets - W&C is one of the very few firms that gets band 1 Chambers rankings for both equity and debt capital markets work.

Also, W&C has a very strong banking practice - not quite as well known as their capital markets one, but it is sufficiently well regarded to motivate you to discuss it in an application.

Besides that, the firm is also leading in projects and international arbitration, but those practices aren't as large as the aforementioned ones.
Appreciate this - thank you.

Reactions: Andrei Radu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.