TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Hi, could use with some advice in terms of grades for a non-law graduate. To sum up - I'm a STEM oxbridge grad applying for Open Days/ VS etc. Graduated with 2.1 overall (integrated masters) but quite a few of my module grades in my second year and finals are in the 2.2s and one is quite bad - 31 percent (thought still technically a pass). The rest of my timed exams are low 2.1s but my non-timed modules e.g. my masters project are much better - high firsts (hence why I managed to get the 2.1 overall). Just wondering how much this may disadvantage me for city law firms? thanks for your help

• 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu

fingersarecrossed

Esteemed Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    dont worry! apply apply apply. you went to an oxbridge uni and that will make u look amazing. some firms have no grade requirements/most just ask for a final grade of 2:1 (which u got!)
    Hi, could use with some advice in terms of grades for a non-law graduate. To sum up - I'm a STEM oxbridge grad applying for Open Days/ VS etc. Graduated with 2.1 overall (integrated masters) but quite a few of my module grades in my second year and finals are in the 2.2s and one is quite bad - 31 percent (thought still technically a pass). The rest of my timed exams are low 2.1s but my non-timed modules e.g. my masters project are much better - high firsts (hence why I managed to get the 2.1 overall). Just wondering how much this may disadvantage me for city law firms? thanks for your help

safari3

Mar 28, 2024
    I do not think you need to unnecessarily try to maximize work experience sections. Generally, the only places where firms expect you to utilize all the available word count is the motivational/competency/commercial awareness questions. Graduate recruiters know that student work experiences can significantly vary in the nature of the relevant tasks and responsibilities and will probably not expect you to write 250 words to describe a short volunteering or virtual internship experience.

That said, I do think you should analyze your past work experiences from all sides. You will find that they have many more valuable aspects than you previously thought.
    Thank you for your help, as always!😊

Reactions: Andrei Radu

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.