TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

sammm10101

Star Member
Aug 15, 2024
So Taylor Wessing wants the cover letter to be 3/4 of an A4, am I the only one who thinks this is impossible? 😭 This allows only one paragraph each for "why commercial law," "why the firm," and "why me," whereas my previous cover letters had three paragraphs for each section ahaha
The jones day one is only 300 words !!😭😭😭 why do they do this to us

• 🤝
Reactions: bella98

AS24

Distinguished Member
Apr 16, 2024
I would try to focus on one example where the firm is asking for "a specific instance" - this suggests they just want one example. I think with the online classes, have you had to utilise the technology yourself? I would be concerned that with online classes it is more the functionality the university has built into the online learning rather than you utilising the technology itself, and so you'd have to be clear as to how you personally used technology, especially compared to other students who also completed the course.
Thank you so much for the advice

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
So Taylor Wessing wants the cover letter to be 3/4 of an A4, am I the only one who thinks this is impossible? 😭 This allows only one paragraph each for "why commercial law," "why the firm," and "why me," whereas my previous cover letters had three paragraphs for each section ahaha
Is this for the vac scheme? I did not see a word limit on the application form.

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
I made a mistake and entered my last name incorrectly on my DLA piper Watson glaser test (I used to use a different last name earlier and entered that). My email is the same as linked to my application.

Please can you advise as I am very worried this will cause problems and my test went well!

Thank you in advance!
I've emailed the graduate recruitment at DLA Piper for similar issues and they were super helpful, might be worth shooting them an email explaining just to be sure.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Is this for the vac scheme? I did not see a word limit on the application form.
    Yes, I'm applying for the summer vacation scheme. I attended the Legal Cheek Virtual Law Fair yesterday and spoke with graduate recruitment - they said the cover letter should be three-quarters of an A4 page. I know this requirement wasn't stated anywhere, my original draft was a page and a half, lol😭

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker @Andrei Radu @Ram Sabaratnam

I made a mistake and entered my last name incorrectly on my DLA piper Watson glaser test (I used to use a different last name earlier and entered that). My email is the same as linked to my application.

Please can you advise as I am very worried this will cause problems and my test went well!

Thank you in advance!
    I don’t think this will be an issue.

• 🤝
    Reactions: User5678

Brandon93

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2018
    Yes, I'm applying for the summer vacation scheme. I attended the Legal Cheek Virtual Law Fair yesterday and spoke with graduate recruitment - they said the cover letter should be three-quarters of an A4 page. I know this requirement wasn't stated anywhere, my original draft was a page and a half, lol😭
    Thank you very much!

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    @Andrei Radu and @Ram Sabaratnam,

I trust you are well.

I am currently applying to Reed Smith and I am struggling with one specific question 'Focusing on one of Reed Smith`s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges could this present Reed Smith or our clients?'

I have identified the industry and two issues, however, I feel that they present many opportunities to Reed Smith and their clients. Do I need to identify a challenge too?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    No, I don't think you necessarily have to find a challenge as well, since the question is phrased as "opportunities or challenges". However, if you want to to mention a challenge or two as well for the sake of symmetry of analysis, maybe you can consider the issue of market competition. On any of the growing sectors that you have identified as a potential target for RS, there will be many other leading firms will be looking to capitalize on the opportunity as well. As such, perhaps you can present this as a challenge and then explain why specific features of RS means it is better place than competitors to win market share.

Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @Andrei Radu,

I am currently amending my CMS application, one of the questions asks 'Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development?'

I mentioned two work examples, which are fine but I would like to diversify my answer. I work full-time so I do not have any examples from when I studied because it was a while ago. However, in my free time, I am completing corporate finance online classes from Yale and Bocconi, can I write about this or not?
    I agree with @Jessica Booker's response here. I'll also add that although the term 'technologies' is ambiguous, because of its association with "AI", I would assume it does not refer to everything and anything digital. Rather, I think it's likely it is referring to some of the newer developed technologies - I would not go further back than 4-5 years. As such, online courses might not qualify.

However, I don't think you should worry too much about this question if you already have two examples. Many other candidates only write about using Grammarly as a review tool, so you should definitely be fine.

Reactions: Donuttime

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    @Jessica Booker @Andrei Radu @Ram Sabaratnam

Thank you in advance!
    I don't think this will be an issue either as emails are normally what the systems use to link results to applications. That said, if you are worried about it, I think it's a good idea to contact the graduate recruitment team and just let them know of the issue. I can also attest that they have been very helpful when I have contacted them in the past.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: User5678 and Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.