• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Is it enough that Macfarlanes and Jones Day both have very strong rankings/reputation in mid-market M&A to call them "competitors"? The same goes for DLA Piper in PE buyouts.

JD has few rankings in UK practice areas, so I'm having a difficult time figuring out who their competitors really are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker for an application question that says 'Describe a scenario (outside of an academic environment) where you demonstrated your determination and ambition by conquering a significant challenge. What was the personal challenge and what were the actions that you took to overcome or succeed at the challenge.'. Would it be a disadvantage to talk about how I managed a distinction whilst battling a long term illness I.e disability/ cancer? I'm worried that the firm may look at me as a liability (i.e what if she rebounds)
It isn’t the circumstances that will be the issue here, it’s it being still related to your academic performance, so I would actually avoid this in this instance (only because the firm has said outside of academia and you are talking about getting a distinction).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, I am applying to a VS for a firm with the same application questions as the TC I applied for in July. They sent an email saying that they had filled all their spots for the TC and would not be progressing my application as a result of no more TCs being available.

I am under the impression that they did not review my application. Would it be okay to use the same answers I submitted a few months ago or would this be disadvantageous? @Jessica Booker Thank you!
I would always update and refine an application rather than submitting the same application.

BonanzaBih_

Legendary Member
Jan 17, 2023

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.