• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hey - For the Q that asks for three personal qualities that make a successful lawyer. Can 1. Problem Solving; 2. Teamwork, 3. Attention to Detail - be used or are these not personal qualities? @Jessica Booker
I agree with @Jessica Booker that these are skills more than qualities and that you need to look more at general personality traits. I think you can keep the points you were going to make about these skills and just change the wording to replace them with the relevant associated qualities. For instance:
  1. Instead of 'problem-solving' you can discuss being an 'analytic' person.
  2. Instead of 'teamwork', you can discuss being 'collaborative' or 'empathetic'
  3. Instead of 'attention to detail', you can discuss being 'meticulous' or 'conscientious'

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica! I‘m drafting the application of DLA Piper, I find there isn't any space for me to include module grades, there just an optional for me to choose my degree's overall grade. Should I include every modules' score in my CV?
@Jessica Booker will definitely be able to tell you more, but just to jump in, I think it would be better if you were to include them. In general, it seems to me that from a recruiter's perspective, the more information about grades you include, the better. I have heard of some stories of issues arising because candidates put down incomplete grade information, but I have never heard of recruiters having a problem with an applicant including too much information on their grades. As I see it, when in doubt like here, it is better to err on the side of caution.

The only exception is if you have some very low scores on several individual modules and you think that might drastically reduce your chances of being progressed. Since the application form does not ask for individual module grades and since it is not necessarily a universally-accepted practice to include all your module grades in the CV, I do not think you would have to do so.

Reactions: TC seeker

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
I looked at the FAQ's for DLA Piper and it states they do not accept separate CV's. However, it is part of the application for the summer internship I am not sure if I am over thinking this but is it a definite that their is no need for a CV?
I have just taken a look over DLA's summer internship application form and it seems like the Resume/CV field is a required one - it is marked with an asterisk. Considering the application form asks for relatively limited information when compared to other application forms, it would make sense for the CV to be mandatory. Last year, when I was applying I added my CV and my application was progressed, so I would infer that at the very least that adding a CV is not prohibited. The way I interpret the FAQ is that the firm will just not accept separate CVs when this is not asked in the application form - eg. if you simply email it to them, or if you add it to a section which asks for another type of document. As such, if possible, I would advise you to add yours to the application.

fingersarecrossed

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    If you apply for virtual open days, is it worse or
    @Jessica Booker will definitely be able to tell you more, but just to jump in, I think it would be better if you were to include them. In general, it seems to me that from a recruiter's perspective, the more information about grades you include, the better. I have heard of some stories of issues arising because candidates put down incomplete grade information, but I have never heard of recruiters having a problem with an applicant including too much information on their grades. As I see it, when in doubt like here, it is better to err on the side of caution.

The only exception is if you have some very low scores on several individual modules and you think that might drastically reduce your chances of being progressed. Since the application form does not ask for individual module grades and since it is not necessarily a universally-accepted practice to include all your module grades in the CV, I do not think you would have to do so.
    oh no :( i didn't mention my grades as i thought they didnt care about grades

Apple

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Guys I'm doing NRF's Artic shores. How long do people attempt the last question because I am Struuggling. I got to the very last one twice but failed both times and idk if it's better to get to the end of it or just give up?
    I think you're overthinking it. Its meant to be like a 5 minute task. It states it is not about the point you get to, but your journey there. My guess would be they assess whether you adjust your timing after you fail, or keep trying the same strategy, but obviously I have no idea how they actually calculate "success".

anymore than 5 minutes is overkill, at least based on the time estimates they give and what they're looking for in that particular test.

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 4, 2023
    I think you're overthinking it. Its meant to be like a 5 minute task. It states it is not about the point you get to, but your journey there. My guess would be they assess whether you adjust your timing after you fail, or keep trying the same strategy, but obviously I have no idea how they actually calculate "success".

anymore than 5 minutes is overkill, at least based on the time estimates they give and what they're looking for in that particular test.
    lol yeah I went at it for like 30 minute never mind 😭

Hi @Jessica Booker for an application question that says 'Describe a scenario (outside of an academic environment) where you demonstrated your determination and ambition by conquering a significant challenge. What was the personal challenge and what were the actions that you took to overcome or succeed at the challenge.'. Would it be a disadvantage to talk about how I managed a distinction whilst battling a long term illness I.e disability/ cancer? I'm worried that the firm may look at me as a liability (i.e what if she rebounds)

Hana ♥

Esteemed Member
    Jan 7, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker for an application question that says 'Describe a scenario (outside of an academic environment) where you demonstrated your determination and ambition by conquering a significant challenge. What was the personal challenge and what were the actions that you took to overcome or succeed at the challenge.'. Would it be a disadvantage to talk about how I managed a distinction whilst battling a long term illness I.e disability/ cancer? I'm worried that the firm may look at me as a liability (i.e what if she rebounds)
    Not advice but wanted to congratulate you, it's truly admirable and I hope that you are doing well! 💗

Chelsea101

Distinguished Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    Hi, I am applying to a VS for a firm with the same application questions as the TC I applied for in July. They sent an email saying that they had filled all their spots for the TC and would not be progressing my application as a result of no more TCs being available.

I am under the impression that they did not review my application. Would it be okay to use the same answers I submitted a few months ago or would this be disadvantageous? @Jessica Booker Thank you!
    Hi @Andrei Radu - do you have any thoughts? Thank you 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.