• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

AGRACHEL

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2024
Hi, I've applied for a VS with Ashurst and now have 3 days to do their 3 psychometric assessments. Does anyone know how long each is, if they are timed, and if you can do them separately, or if they are one after another? Any info on the tests would be much appreciated! Thank you!:)
They're one after the other and each game has a timer but overall, the test isn't timed. You can take a break between emotify, cognify and the values test. I believe there's a time gap between each game (there are 6 parts to cognify , if my memory's correct) and a tutorial practice session to help you get a gist of the game before.

Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam and s9111

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
CC* ✅📝
HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Weil ✅
Akin ✅
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Cooley ✅
Latham ✅
Milbank ✅
Kirkland ✅
Skadden ✅
Goodwin ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅
Gibson Dunn ✅
Macfarlanes* ✅📝
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
Cleary Gottlieb ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝
Vinson & Elkins ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This might be a stupid question but, i haven't had time to finish any applications until now (am i going to need to hold myself accountable). I've almost finished the White&Case one but is it worth submitting for the winter vs considering the date?

also, is 1k words too much for the cover letter....
1,000 words is okay to use - we usually see around 800-1000 roughly (sometimes slightly over).

I think if you have put the effort into the application I would apply anyway. You have worked hard to get to this point, and it would be a shame to waste those efforts.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey - For the Q that asks for three personal qualities that make a successful lawyer. Can 1. Problem Solving; 2. Teamwork, 3. Attention to Detail - be used or are these not personal qualities? @Jessica Booker
I would say these are more skills than qualities. Think more about your character that allows you to apply those type of skills.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With cover letters that are expressed to be one page rather than by word count is the general consensus that we don't put our address/their address? It takes up so much space.

@Jessica Booker
If for Slaughter and May, then you don’t have to put the formalities of a cover letter in.

If this is another firm, let me know who it is and I’ll check what their stance is (as it varies from firm to firm).

Chelsea101

Distinguished Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    Hi, I am applying to a VS for a firm with the same application questions as the TC I applied for in July. They sent an email saying that they had filled all their spots for the TC and would not be progressing my application as a result of no more TCs being available.

I am under the impression that they did not review my application. Would it be okay to use the same answers I submitted a few months ago or would this be disadvantageous? @Jessica Booker Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.