• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

user3883930

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2024
QUESTION ABOUT FRESHFIELDS AS A GRADUATE:

I was looking at their eligibility requirements for the Summer Vac Scheme, Winter Vac Scheme and direct TC.

Under Summer they state: The Summer Vacation Scheme is available to penultimate-year undergraduate students completing a law or non-law degree.

Under Winter they state:
The Winter Vacation Scheme is available to final-year students undergraduate students completing a law or non-law degree and beyond. This includes graduates and individuals who are currently enrolled on a: Law Conversion Course (GDL/PGDL)

As someone who has completed their GDL, and is now a Paralegal, does that mean I only have the option to do the DIRECT TC route for Freshfields?

Why would they allow graduates on the Winter Vac scheme and not the summer? What is the better route to do as a graduate who is now a paralegal ? Winter? or TC?

@Jessica Booker
@axelbeugre

Thank you
I was wondering the same, also I'm confused about whether their winter VC applications are closed since I can't find a way to apply on their website—I can only see an option to apply for the summer VC?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I looked at the FAQ's for DLA Piper and it states they do not accept separate CV's. However, it is part of the application for the summer internship I am not sure if I am over thinking this but is it a definite that their is no need for a CV?
I have heard different things from different people - it isn’t unclear unfortunately. But if it is optional (eg you can progress your application without submitting it) and there are no explicit instructions to include a CV, I would expect it to just be optional and not necessary.

asplawyer100

Feb 13, 2024
I was wondering the same, also I'm confused about whether their winter VC applications are closed since I can't find a way to apply on their website—I can only see an option to apply for the summer VC?
They are closed. The deadline for Freshfields Winter VS was early September. I believe all Magic Circle winter scheme applications have closed by now.

Reactions: user3883930

VMS

Esteemed Member
Oct 16, 2023
Just received my report which averaged 'moderate competency'. There was no confirmation that I met the benchmark. Does that mean that I have been rejected?

Just did the HSF test and was wondering how soon do they reply with a response on whether you have passed or not . Thanks

I received an email saying I'd passed two days after taking the assessment, so you'll probably hear around then!

Looper88

Standard Member
  • Oct 2, 2024
    Thank you, I appreciate it very much. Guess I will just have to wait…

Since it took 2 days before you received your passing of the test, I am assuming it is somewhat evaluated by humans…

Did you also reach the next stage? Or is your application form currently under (separate) review?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    QUESTION ABOUT FRESHFIELDS AS A GRADUATE:

I was looking at their eligibility requirements for the Summer Vac Scheme, Winter Vac Scheme and direct TC.

Under Summer they state: The Summer Vacation Scheme is available to penultimate-year undergraduate students completing a law or non-law degree.

Under Winter they state:
    The Winter Vacation Scheme is available to final-year students undergraduate students completing a law or non-law degree and beyond. This includes graduates and individuals who are currently enrolled on a: Law Conversion Course (GDL/PGDL)

As someone who has completed their GDL, and is now a Paralegal, does that mean I only have the option to do the DIRECT TC route for Freshfields?

Why would they allow graduates on the Winter Vac scheme and not the summer? What is the better route to do as a graduate who is now a paralegal ? Winter? or TC?

@Jessica Booker
    @axelbeugre

Thank you
    You’d only be eligible for the direct TC, unfortunately.

They will have different criteria for different schemes as the winter scheme candidates can be recruited earlier in the cycle, while it doesn't make sense to recruit penultimate year students until the summer between their penultimate and final year.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024
    Dla discovery day!

Congratulations @Hana ♥ :)
    Share Discover GIF

• Love
    Reactions: Hana ♥

jojo23

Sep 15, 2024
    This might be a stupid question but, i haven't had time to finish any applications until now (am i going to need to hold myself accountable). I've almost finished the White&Case one but is it worth submitting for the winter vs considering the date?

also, is 1k words too much for the cover letter....

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.