• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

In some application forms, firms ask if you know any employees and to state your relationship with them. Would this include people I’ve had coffee chats with? Additionally, how might this impact a candidate’s application?

Thanks!
@Jessica Booker will know a lot more about this, but to give you my thoughts on the matter, the question seems to be part of firms' anti-nepotism policies and checks. I do not believe this would include people you had one or two coffee chats with if the relationship did not progress further than that. However, should you choose to include that, I cannot see how this could negatively affect your application. If anything, it shows you have been proactive with your networking efforts and have gone the extra mile to interact with people from the firm, which should make you a more attractive candidate.

asplawyer100

Feb 13, 2024
CC* ✅📝
HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Weil ✅
Akin ✅
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Cooley ✅
Latham ✅
Milbank ✅
Kirkland ✅
Skadden ✅
Goodwin ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅
Gibson Dunn ✅
Macfarlanes* ✅📝
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
Cleary Gottlieb ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications
When did you get a HSF rejection?

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm doing the Pinsent Masons vac scheme application. For the roles and responsibility section, there isn't a word limit. I'm unsure whether to give very detailed example, or just a brief summary of my experience. If anyone has any suggestions on the structure this would be very helpful also.
Hi! Since the application form does not have any more questions where you can provide a written answer and expand more on your experiences, I think you will be given a bit more leeway regarding the level of detail you go to into the roles and responsibility section. That said, I do think you will have to observe the same norms of brevity and relevance that apply to cover letter/motivations questions. You can expand on your experiences more than you would in the normal work experience section, provided that (i) everything you write adds value to the recruiter's understanding of your roles, skills, and candidate profile; and (ii) you have been just as diligent in ensuring you have written in a clearly structured and to-the-point manner as you would have been for a section where you had a word limit.

As for the structure, I still advise you to use the normal STAR structure, but perhaps with one or two tweaks to allow you to add details which can show your experiences in a slightly better light:
  1. Situation: here, instead of just jumping into a description of the general characteristics of the job, you may add one or two sentences describing the broader context: how did you get this job/position of responsibility (eg was it a competitive application process? networking? etc), why did you undertake this role specifically, what is the company/organization you were working for etc.
  2. Task: here, once again you can expand a bit on the context - where you given this task or did you proactively seek it out? is this the normal type of task someone in your role would be expected to perform, or were you able to take on more high responsibility matters?
  3. Action: I think this will be similar to how you would write in other work experience section, but perhaps instead of feeling you have to limit yourself at one or two task-action descriptions, you can write about some others if you think they are also relevant.
  4. Result: here, you will of course want to have a concrete (and if possible, quantifiable) consequence or impact of your action. However, besides that, I think you can also add a few sentences linking the result (and the entire experience more broadly) to your application. Thus, you can link your experience of the role with motivations for commercial law, with motivations for the firm (but make sure you're not going on too much of a stretch!), and with skills/attributes that are useful for a trainee.

Reactions: Jaysen

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
At DLA Piper, we believe great business can make a better world. We believe in being bold, driven, compassionate, and collaborative. We are keen to hear what inspired your application. Why are you interested in starting a legal career at DLA Piper? 200 words

Would it be wise to split why law and why DLA into a 100 words each or would it better to do more for why DLA?
You should address both the 'why law' and the 'why DLA' component, but I think you have some flexibility as to how you approach this. I've quoted bellow an answer I previously gave about how you can go about answering this:

When I applied to DLA Piper last year, my answer solely focused on my motivations for 'Why the firm' and I ended up being invited for an AC. However, part of the reason why I followed this approach is that I had some previous work experience with one of the firm's foreign offices, which I wanted to discuss thoroughly. The natural reading of the firm's application question includes both a 'Why law' and a 'Why DLA Piper' element - thus, I'd advise you to try to answer both. Off the top of my head, there's two structures I think you could use:
  • Option 1: Start by discussing how X past experience led you to conclude you are attracted by Y aspect of commercial law. Then, you go on to explain why DLA Piper is one of the best firms for that Y aspect which attracted you to this profession in the first place. This aspect could be anything from practice areas, clients, international work etc. If possible, I'd follow this approach, as you could end up with a nice narrative structure.
  • Option 2: You divide your answer between two roughly 100-word paragraphs, one focused on 'Why law?' and one focused on 'Why DLA?'

tc252627

Feb 21, 2024
Hi! Since the application form does not have any more questions where you can provide a written answer and expand more on your experiences, I think you will be given a bit more leeway regarding the level of detail you go to into the roles and responsibility section. That said, I do think you will have to observe the same norms of brevity and relevance that apply to cover letter/motivations questions. You can expand on your experiences more than you would in the normal work experience section, provided that (i) everything you write adds value to the recruiter's understanding of your roles, skills, and candidate profile; and (ii) you have been just as diligent in ensuring you have written in a clearly structured and to-the-point manner as you would have been for a section where you had a word limit.

As for the structure, I still advise you to use the normal STAR structure, but perhaps with one or two tweaks to allow you to add details which can show your experiences in a slightly better light:
  1. Situation: here, instead of just jumping into a description of the general characteristics of the job, you may add one or two sentences describing the broader context: how did you get this job/position of responsibility (eg was it a competitive application process? networking? etc), why did you undertake this role specifically, what is the company/organization you were working for etc.
  2. Task: here, once again you can expand a bit on the context - where you given this task or did you proactively seek it out? is this the normal type of task someone in your role would be expected to perform, or were you able to take on more high responsibility matters?
  3. Action: I think this will be similar to how you would write in other work experience section, but perhaps instead of feeling you have to limit yourself at one or two task-action descriptions, you can write about some others if you think they are also relevant.
  4. Result: here, you will of course want to have a concrete (and if possible, quantifiable) consequence or impact of your action. However, besides that, I think you can also add a few sentences linking the result (and the entire experience more broadly) to your application. Thus, you can link your experience of the role with motivations for commercial law, with motivations for the firm (but make sure you're not going on too much of a stretch!), and with skills/attributes that are useful for a trainee.
Thanks so much!

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also, would opting out of the Rare Contextualised recruitment questionnaire affect your application in any way?
The system works on creating a series of "flags" which identify your social mobility. The more disadvantaged your background, the more flags you would have. These flags then can be used to put context against your achievements.

If you don't complete the form then this assessment cannot be done, but for many people they will know their background won't cause a flag anyway and so choose to not complete it. It doesn't disadvantage those people - they wouldn't have a flag anyway and the system just identifies them as having no flags.

The only disadvantage could be if you had any flags and the firm was not able to identify them where your details where not submitted.

Reactions: Seville123

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.