• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

TC seeker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    Self-plagiarism is not a thing. It’s your content, even if you reuse it.

The issue with submitting the same application is you can’t expect the outcome to be any different this time around. If your application is the same, there is a strong chance you will be unsuccessful again. That is why it is always best to update and refine your application.
    So law firms do not look at our previous application when recruiting?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So law firms do not look at our previous application when recruiting?
    Depending when you applied and their data retention policies, they could review your previous application, but they won't deem it plagarism.

If they do review your old application (they may not need to do this or may not have time even if they could), they are just going to be questioning why nothing has changed since your last application though, not that you have used the same application. They are looking for people who push their own self development/use their initiative, so showing how you have done this since your last application is important.

You don't necessarily have to review a previous application to do this though - you can often just look at what someone has done in the last 6-12 months to judge this rather than comparing applications.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've noticed that a lot of apps now have a question about whether you've used AI in the application process. Most say they don't care if you do, and just want the reasoning for why/why not. However, would more tech-forward firms view the use of ChatGPT etc. as a positive?
    I think it depends on how you describe how you are using it - I don't think its really about whether you choose to or not, but more the positive (or negative) will be in how you use it, whether the firm is more tech focused or not. They will have to have checks and regulations in place if they are using AI within a firm and so they will want to see there is a sense of someone understanding the technology's limitations and not relying on it because of it.

Reactions: LW123

tc252627

Feb 21, 2024
    Hi everyone,

I'm doing the Pinsent Masons vac scheme application. For the roles and responsibility section, there isn't a word limit. I'm unsure whether to give very detailed example, or just a brief summary of my experience. If anyone has any suggestions on the structure this would be very helpful also.

Maddy

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 8, 2024
    Regarding the referee part of the Jones Day application process, will they inform me before contacting my referee? Also, do they only reach out to my referee after my application has been shortlisted, or do they contact referee's before deciding if I move to the next round?

Apple

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Regarding the referee part of the Jones Day application process, will they inform me before contacting my referee? Also, do they only reach out to my referee after my application has been shortlisted, or do they contact referee's before deciding if I move to the next round?
    they invite you to first stage interview and wait for your referee to respond in the meanwhile, but you cant get on the scheme until its given.

EDIT: yes they inform you after requesting the reference.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    CC* ✅📝
    HSF ✅📝❌
    NRF ✅📝❌
    Weil ✅
    Akin ✅
    Sidley ✅
    Willkie ✅🎥
    Cooley ✅
    Latham ✅
    Milbank ✅
    Kirkland ✅
    Skadden ✅
    Goodwin ✅
    Covington ✅
    Linklaters* ✅📝
    Paul, Weiss ✅
    Slaughters* ✅
    Gibson Dunn ✅
    Macfarlanes* ✅📝
    White & Case ✅
    Hogan Lovells* ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    A&O Shearman ✅📝

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.