• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker ,

In some application forms, firms ask if you know any employees and to state your relationship with them. Would this include people I’ve had coffee chats with? Additionally, how might this impact a candidate’s application?

Thanks!
I think you have to determine whether you have a relationship with the individual rather than just knowing them. If the latter, you could still include the people you have spoken to (this is very common) but they are looking for more of a substantial connection.

The reason for this question is it helps identify the internal person. It tends to go a little haywire when HR/Graduate Recruitment don't know about the connection - the internal person can often be asking for updates on application statuses (which is even more difficult to manage with GDPR) or want to know why their connection was unsuccessful.

It can also ensure compliance with any anti-nepotism policies. Some firms do not allow relatives of people of a certain seniority to apply for jobs within the firm (especially partners). It can also help identify and client connections which often need more considerations - e.g. relationship partners for major clients want to know if you are going to turn down their client's son/daughter.

So don't worry about it from your perspective - it is really just being used to manage firm processes rather than it being something about you.

Reactions: Seville123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For a firm having an open day in October, November and December. Do you think all will be equally as competitive?
Generally yes - the firm will apply the same standards to select candidates across open days.

But open days can be less/more competitive for a whole host of reasons outside of your control though and that you'd never be able to predict why they received more or less applications anyway. Even if they did receive fewer applications and had not received the quality they required, they would just take fewer people on the open day.

Reactions: legal18

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
Jan 31, 2024
You won't need to attach a CV for this - your application form will be sufficient. You also won't need to submit a cover letter as the application form covers the motivational questions the firm is asking for.
I looked at the FAQ's for DLA Piper and it states they do not accept separate CV's. However, it is part of the application for the summer internship I am not sure if I am over thinking this but is it a definite that their is no need for a CV?

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    Just building on what @Jessica Booker said in response. It’s great that you’re considering both the open day and the vac scheme! Your concern about potentially waiting a long time to hear back about the open day and the impact that might have on your vac scheme application also makes sense. Like Jess, though, I'd suggest waiting until you've made the open day application, especially if you feel that attending the open day will give you additional insights and help you strengthen your vacation scheme application.

Alternatively, I don’t think attending the open day is strictly necessary to write a compelling vac scheme application. If you've written strong, well-researched answers, there's no harm in applying for the vac scheme now. For context, when I was applying to Cooley, I was unsuccessful in securing an open day, but made it through to the vac scheme during the same application cycle. Whatever you decide, best of luck with both applications! Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions :)
    cheers Ram, appreciate that, thank you!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

s9111

Esteemed Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    Hi, I've applied for a VS with Ashurst and now have 3 days to do their 3 psychometric assessments. Does anyone know how long each is, if they are timed, and if you can do them separately, or if they are one after another? Any info on the tests would be much appreciated! Thank you!:)

Last edited:

legallady123

Standard Member
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hi, I've applied for a VS with Ashurst and now have 3 days to do their 3 psychometric assessments. Does anyone know how long each is, if they are timed, and if you can do them separately, or if they are one after another? Any info on the tests would be much appreciated! Thank you!:)
    I completed the tests 3 weeks ago, and, if I remember correctly, they take around 1 hour and 15 mins in total. It is the Cognify first, then the Emotify and last is the values test. You have the option to click “begin” before each test, so you probably can take time in between, but imo there isn’t really much you can do to prepare or prep for them.

Reactions: Apple

User5678

Star Member
    Aug 16, 2024
    They’re all timed and it’s 3 assessments in one test so ideally need to give it in one go but you can take a break between the three assessments but I’m unsure if you can do it the next day (i think you can). Time is less so practice as much as u can. Total time is approx an hour.

Reactions: s9111

s9111

Esteemed Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    I completed the tests 3 weeks ago, and, if I remember correctly, they take around 1 hour and 15 mins in total. It is the Cognify first, then the Emotify and last is the values test. You have the option to click “begin” before each test, so you probably can take time in between, but imo there isn’t really much you can do to prepare or prep for them.
    This is very useful, thank you so much!

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
    QUESTION ABOUT FRESHFIELDS AS A GRADUATE:

I was looking at their eligibility requirements for the Summer Vac Scheme, Winter Vac Scheme and direct TC.

Under Summer they state: The Summer Vacation Scheme is available to penultimate-year undergraduate students completing a law or non-law degree.

Under Winter they state:
    The Winter Vacation Scheme is available to final-year students undergraduate students completing a law or non-law degree and beyond. This includes graduates and individuals who are currently enrolled on a: Law Conversion Course (GDL/PGDL)

As someone who has completed their GDL, and is now a Paralegal, does that mean I only have the option to do the DIRECT TC route for Freshfields?

Why would they allow graduates on the Winter Vac scheme and not the summer? What is the better route to do as a graduate who is now a paralegal ? Winter? or TC?

@Jessica Booker
    @axelbeugre

Thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.