• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hey guys, this question asks "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form."

Can I write something that I didn't cover in detail in one of the application form questions, or will this look like I am unable to be concise with my answers? If so, what else can I look to include in this question given it is quite broad?

This is not a mandatory question on the application form by the way.
I wouldn’t try to fit in elements that could have naturally been elsewhere in an application, especially if it is an overflow of an answer provided elsewhere.

I would use this more of an opportunity to highlight the things you haven’t been asked about.

Reactions: jasonbourne

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Random question - but does anyone know why HSF no longer rank on the Social Mobility Index - after peaking at a rank of 3rd a few years back?
You have to put in a pretty lengthy and heavy report into the SMF to evidence why you should be on it. You also have to pay to be on it too. The work needed to submit is often a 4-6 week project for someone to do, and even then they have to get multiple people across the business involved as well. It’s a lot of work!!

I am a big supporter of the SMF index, but one of the big issues with it is that you have to show constant evolution and improvement in your social mobility processes, policies and initiatives, which means for a firm that has ranked high in the past, it’s more difficult for them to maintain that position because they have then got to improve from a much higher benchmark. For many organisations, then drop down the rankings because of it, and then others don’t bother submitting in future years as they know they can’t evidence an improvement.

As the deadline is not for another 5 weeks, I think it is still worthwhile applying. It’s not even half way through the application window, and the vast majority of people won’t apply until the last week or two.
thanks for the reply, similarly do you think its worth waiting to send off my app for mishcon de reya after attending the Open day on Oct 16th? the app is rolling and closes 3 weeks after the open day so i feel like itll be better to apply early regardless of mentioning the Open day on my application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks for the reply, similarly do you think its worth waiting to send off my app for mishcon de reya after attending the Open day on Oct 16th? the app is rolling and closes 3 weeks after the open day so i feel like itll be better to apply early regardless of mentioning the Open day on my application.
I’d personally wait if you know you have got a spot on the open day, as they are likely to be keeping an eye out for your application even after the deadline.

You could get it all ready to go and then finalise it in the few days after the open day.

fingersarecrossed

Esteemed Member
  • Feb 11, 2024
    When applying for jobs, if they require you to provide your current and desired salary, is it acceptable to write 'N/A,' or should you provide an estimate? I've noticed that salary ranges on Glassdoor can sometimes be on the lower side.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.