• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

0livia.pope

Star Member
Nov 26, 2023
I submitted to NRF yesterday and received the text below. However, the link they sent me doesn't seem to work. Is anyone else experiencing this ?

"Thank you for submitting your application to Norton Rose Fulbright LLP.

Norton Rose Fulbright LLP is proud to be using the Rare Contextual Recruitment System which allows us to understand each applicant’s achievements in the context in which they have been gained. We seek to recruit the best people, from every background, regardless of their personal circumstances, and the CRS help us to do that. The CRS is only ever used to screen people in, not out and under no circumstances are candidates ever marked down for supplying this information."
I did! I copied and pasted it onto my browser instead

zoobla20

Premium Member
Mar 15, 2023
How do people manage university work and applications? I'm one week into my PGDL and I'm getting so stressed, there's so much work and it's so much harder than I expected. I don't know how I'm going to manage the workload on top of applications. Still haven't sent off one VS application and the whole week I've done nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated :)
The PGDL is difficult (volume of content wise) within the first 2/3 weeks so I'd give yourself time to adjust. By the time you're around a month in, you get used to the workload and get into a routine so it'll get easier to manage time :)

Mentally and Physically Exhausted Applicant

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 16, 2022
Guys, I have a question on the "How to Beat the Watson Glazer Test" videos on the TCLA platform. Why is argument 3 here a strong argument? The statement does not address smoking in public areas- it just says this will reduce the tax the government derives from cigarette sales which is not wholly relevant to smoking in public areas. It feels like it would have been a strong argument if the question was "Should smoking be banned or "Should the sale of cigarettes be banned?" Am I missing something here? can someone please explain this to me Screenshot 2024-09-29 at 16.42.41.png

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Guys, I have a question on the "How to Beat the Watson Glazer Test" videos on the TCLA platform. Why is argument 3 here a strong argument? The statement does not address smoking in public areas- it just says this will reduce the tax the government derives from cigarette sales which is not wholly relevant to smoking in public areas. It feels like it would have been a strong argument if the question was "Should smoking be banned or "Should the sale of cigarettes be banned?" Am I missing something here? can someone please explain this to me View attachment 6312
I think (big grain of salt) that it is because it explains that this means less money can then be spent on PUBLIC goods. Because the question refers to banning smoking in public areas, presumably for the publics benefit, in the context of tax and public goods it is a strong argument. Sorry if I explained that poorly lol.

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    hey guys, this question asks "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form."

Can I write something that I didn't cover in detail in one of the application form questions, or will this look like I am unable to be concise with my answers? If so, what else can I look to include in this question given it is quite broad?

This is not a mandatory question on the application form by the way.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey guys, this question asks "If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form."

Can I write something that I didn't cover in detail in one of the application form questions, or will this look like I am unable to be concise with my answers? If so, what else can I look to include in this question given it is quite broad?

This is not a mandatory question on the application form by the way.
    I wouldn’t try to fit in elements that could have naturally been elsewhere in an application, especially if it is an overflow of an answer provided elsewhere.

I would use this more of an opportunity to highlight the things you haven’t been asked about.

Reactions: jasonbourne

lookingforaTC

Esteemed Member
    Feb 16, 2024
    DLA has no deadline, only that it will stop taking apps once enough have been received. For various reasons I'd like to wait to submit my app next week but concerned that the window will close. Any ideas when-ish that will be? It opened on 16th September.
    It won't close for another two months or so. London usually closes before regions tho.

Reactions: Apple

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Random question - but does anyone know why HSF no longer rank on the Social Mobility Index - after peaking at a rank of 3rd a few years back?
    You have to put in a pretty lengthy and heavy report into the SMF to evidence why you should be on it. You also have to pay to be on it too. The work needed to submit is often a 4-6 week project for someone to do, and even then they have to get multiple people across the business involved as well. It’s a lot of work!!

I am a big supporter of the SMF index, but one of the big issues with it is that you have to show constant evolution and improvement in your social mobility processes, policies and initiatives, which means for a firm that has ranked high in the past, it’s more difficult for them to maintain that position because they have then got to improve from a much higher benchmark. For many organisations, then drop down the rankings because of it, and then others don’t bother submitting in future years as they know they can’t evidence an improvement.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.