• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

l789

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2020
M
Hiya @yeezyee :)

I completely feel you! Writing applications is already challenging enough, but especially so if you're in a full-time role, have caring responsibilities, or any other commitments. I remember needing to catch my breath a few times when working full-time alongside writing applications. But having done it myself and having helped several career changers in similar situations, I have faith in you and believe it can absolutely be done.

One thing I'd recommend is to really focus on firms that you're genuinely interested in, rather than spreading yourself thin by spending time on firms that you don't feel very passionate about. Finding firms who do work which speaks to you can really help with motivation and make the application process feel less difficult,

A strategy that helped me was having a document with all my work experience entries fully edited. That way, I could easily copy + paste them into different forms, rather than writing new ones for each application. I also had another document with common application questions – like 'why commercial law' or 'tell us about a time you did X' – which I used as templates. This allowed me to tailor answers to each firm quickly, saving more time in the process.

Lastly, make sure you take a break before reviewing and submitting your application. It’s easier to spot mistakes when you come back with fresh eyes. Tools like ChatGPT can also be super helpful for quickly checking spelling or grammar (I used Grammarly back when I was applying). You also don't want your hard work to be undermined by basic or easily resolvable errors.

These strategies helped me take less time, and I'm sure other Community Assistants and forum users have their own approach. Hang in there! You got this!
Golden advice!!! especially on having all your work experience on one document and other answers such as why commercial law!

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
if the word count for a 'why this firm' question is 300 words, is it advisable to focus on two practise areas or just one and potentially a smaller factor- e.g legal tech, DEI, trainee intake ?
I think a 300 words cap should not dissuade you from writing about two practice areas. With a sufficiently concise writing style and a good structure, you should have enough space to show both your knowledge of the firm's practice and the reasons behind your interest in that area of commercial law. For most of my 'why this firm' 300-word answers I was writing last year, I ended up discussing two or more practice areas - and several of those applications were progressed. Thus, I would advise you to decide on what to mention as the second factor based on how convincing your reasoning would be in portraying that as your motivation for applying.

Smart water 0403

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 17, 2024
I think a 300 words cap should not dissuade you from writing about two practice areas. With a sufficiently concise writing style and a good structure, you should have enough space to show both your knowledge of the firm's practice and the reasons behind your interest in that area of commercial law. For most of my 'why this firm' 300-word answers I was writing last year, I ended up discussing two or more practice areas - and several of those applications were progressed. Thus, I would advise you to decide on what to mention as the second factor based on how convincing your reasoning would be in portraying that as your motivation for applying.
Thanks Andrei, very helpful as per !

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
is there a word limit for HSF work experiences ?
Hey @Smart water 0403. Most firms do not have strict word limits for the work experience section. However, I recommend using about 2-4 bullet points briefly explaining your key responsibilities in a given role. This will ensure some level of structure and coherency in that section of the application form. You will, in addition to key responsibilities, determine whether you can quantify your involvement in a role. For example, if you managed a social media business and drove sales up by 20% in the first 6 months due to innovative marketing methods, mention this! Incorporating both methods will help showcase a lot of transferable skills to recruiters.

I am unsure about the specifics of HSF’s work experience word limit, as it does not seem visible from the graduate recruitment website. It should be included on the application form within that section, otherwise it is safe to assume the limit is a ‘reasonable‘ word limit. ‘Reasonableness’, may differ between firms - for some its 75, 100, 250, etc. In any case, I would email graduate recruitment if you have any doubts, but this should not be too much of an issue if it’s not specified initially.

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Many thanks @Amma Usman

But can't prose and headings be used at the same time? For instance, the below:

Heading 1

TEXT IN PROSE

Heading 2

TEXT IN PROSE

Hey @Lastseasonwonder. Yes, absolutely! I’d just ensure that the information below those headings centre solely on the subject matter and specifics of the question. In terms of formatting as well, some application portals do not permit underlining and bold titles, so it’s worth being weary of this.

Reactions: Lastseasonwonder

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters).

how would you answer this question for DLA Piper? I am really confused.

Also, have a lot of people heard back from Sidley's vac scheme?
I've answered a similar query about this DLA Piper question recently - I've quoted my answer bellow, I hope you'll find it helpful.
Hi there! For the first question, I think the two things the firm is trying to test you on is (1) your understanding of the role of a trainee - and specifically, your knowledge of the the less appealing parts of the job; (2) your understanding of the specific internal resources and support offered by DLA. You could structure the answer as:
  • Start by pointing out one aspect of the TC that could challenging; then explain why it could be particularly difficult; then explain what specific resources the firm offers to deal with the issue; then explain how you would make use of them, and if you would take any further steps. Finally, if you have examples form past experiences when you have navigated similar challenges, you could mention that as well.
  • Then repeat once or twice, depending on word count. Should it be helpful as an example, I've copied bellow my answer to to this question last year (as I ended up being progressed to the AC):
The first challenge I anticipate is delivering high-quality work even when I must simultaneously manage multiple workstreams with tight deadlines. Firstly, to prioritise effectively I would ask the assignor of any work how long it should take me to finish it and how strict the deadline is. Secondly, I would ask for the support of my trainee buddy to learn how to complete routine tasks more efficiently. In my summer internship I finished my Legislative Update email quicker by using (lawyer's name)’s tips, which enabled me to focus on research for a presentation I delivered in front of the entire firm. Consequently, I received positive feedback from my supervisor for the many cases and academic sources I cited.

The second challenge I envisage is starting from the beginning with each rotational cycle, which can be difficult after finally gaining some experience in the previous seat. I would attempt to make the transition easier by anticipating and preparing for the usual trainee work in that practice area, using resources like the Internal Knowledge Hub. I would also invite trainees from that seat for a coffee, where they can share advice and experiences in adapting to the style of the supervisors.

For your second question, unfortunately I do not know that much about the firm's other UK offices. However, I think a useful resource besides the firm's website is its profile in the Chambers UK 2024 Rankings - it should show some practice area rankings by region as well, which will enable you learn about at least some of the work done by the other offices.

Good luck with your application!

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hiya, does anyone know what the PWC online test for their summer vacation scheme consists of?
Hi @_shims_ , I have linked the general application process HERE , as described on the website. Feel free to drop the early careers team an email if you have any more questions on the specifics of the legal vacation scheme application process. However, I have spoken to a colleague of mine who did the scheme and said the process was largely as described on the link.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Just received a DLA Piper WG. Is that automatic or have I passed the initial app review?
I think last year it was after the initial application review. I'm unsure whether they have kept the same policy for this cycle, I haven't found any relevant information on their website. That said, if it took more than a couple of days since you submitted the application to receive the WG invite, I would guess they reviewed it before.

Reactions: User5678 and s9111

legal18

Distinguished Member
Feb 17, 2024
How do people manage university work and applications? I'm one week into my PGDL and I'm getting so stressed, there's so much work and it's so much harder than I expected. I don't know how I'm going to manage the workload on top of applications. Still haven't sent off one VS application and the whole week I've done nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated :)

• 🤝
Reactions: legallybrunette8

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
How do people manage university work and applications? I'm one week into my PGDL and I'm getting so stressed, there's so much work and it's so much harder than I expected. I don't know how I'm going to manage the workload on top of applications. Still haven't sent off one VS application and the whole week I've done nothing. Any tips would be much appreciated :)
Honestly just time management and prioritisation. Currently working in a full time job, studying for qualifications, and doing applications at the same time :)

• 🏆
Reactions: Sharon Wu and legal18

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Holding myself accountable (again).

CC* ✅
HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Weil ✅
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Cooley ✅
Latham ✅
Skadden ✅
Goodwin ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅
Gibson Dunn ✅
Macfarlanes* ✅
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
Cleary Gottlieb ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.