• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Describe the personal event or experience that, more than anything else, made you realise your desire to work in a law firm and specifically at Fieldfisher.

Guys, I’ve got a bit of a dilemma here. I went to an event two years ago where I talked to a trainee at the firm, I've got info on the event and what they said, but I forgot to write down their name in my journal! Now I’m trying to write an answer for this question, and without the trainee's name, it feels like I could’ve spoken to a trainee from any firm about the usual stuff like collegiality and a positive environment. Any ideas on how to approach this? I'm attending an event with Fieldfisher tonight, which I could describe in more detail. But obviously, this isn’t the event that made me realise I wanted to work at a law firm, especially at Fieldfisher – that realisation happened much earlier ahaha

lawyersum

Star Member
    Jun 28, 2024
    Can anyone provide some tips for this CMS question? The only tangible instance I've used AI is the use of Grammarly for uni coursework and applications. How do I link it to personal development seeing that my use is not really that fancy?

Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development?

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
    Sep 9, 2023
    You should change/improve the answer, update it to your new skills/experiences.
    totally get this! but what if I honestly haven't gotten any new experiences or skills bc the app i made previously was less than 6 months ago?
    would it technically be possible to resubmit the same answer (with a few tweaks) or would it be self-plagiarism?

Last edited:

Apple

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    totally get this! but what if I honestly haven't gotten any new experiences ces or skills bc the app i made previously was less than 6 months ago?
    would it technically be possible to resubmit the same answer (with a few tweaks) or would it be self-plagiarism?
    I don't believe law firms consider anything plagiarism that's just an academic thing really. You can do it but even adjusting your points to more recent developments at the firm would be good. Just because it got through previously doesn't automatically mean it will now. But in short, yeah I dont think your application will be ignored if its the same as the previous year.

Reactions: legallybrunette8

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey everyone, I need some advice. Taylor Wessing asks for a cover letter, but one of their questions is "What motivates you for a career in Law at Taylor Wessing and what key skills would you bring?". This question essentially overlaps with the content of the cover letter. How can I avoid repeating myself in both?

@Andrei Radu
    I would focus more on the work opportunity in the application question and more of the working environment aspects in the cover letter.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    totally get this! but what if I honestly haven't gotten any new experiences ces or skills bc the app i made previously was less than 6 months ago?
    Self-plagiarism is not a thing. It’s your content, even if you reuse it.

The issue with submitting the same application is you can’t expect the outcome to be any different this time around. If your application is the same, there is a strong chance you will be unsuccessful again. That is why it is always best to update and refine your application.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
    Oct 23, 2019
    Self-plagiarism is not a thing. It’s your content, even if you reuse it.

The issue with submitting the same application is you can’t expect the outcome to be any different this time around. If your application is the same, there is a strong chance you will be unsuccessful again. That is why it is always best to update and refine your application.
    I'm laughing at the self-plagiarism point.

sammm10101

Star Member
    Aug 15, 2024
    Lots of people keep mentioning it lately. I wonder if this is one of the myths running round universities and particularly if people are paranoid about using things like AI.
    In my degree, self-plagiarism definitely is a thing, so maybe it bleeds over from that. In the sense that if you copy something that you've already written and submitted, it gets flagged by TurnItIn to be plagiarism, so you cannot write the same thing twice. They really really emphasise it too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In my degree, self-plagiarism definitely is a thing, so maybe it bleeds over from that. In the sense that if you copy something that you've already written and submitted, it gets flagged by TurnItIn to be plagiarism, so you cannot write the same thing twice. They really really emphasise it too.
    That would explain it! Seems a really odd concept though - why can’t you reuse your own thinking? Most academics would lose most of their back catalogue if it applied to their academic writing!

Apple

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Same here, I had a friend get an academic warning for plagiarism because he used parts of his past formative essay in a summative lol.

• Wow
    Reactions: sammm10101

sammm10101

Star Member
    Aug 15, 2024
    That would explain it! Seems a really odd concept though - why can’t you reuse your own thinking? Most academics would lose most of their back catalogue if it applied to their academic writing!
    Yeah literally! I think it’s so every assessment you do is unique, and you’re not just writing the same thing for every module as there could be potentially overlaps.

I.e. I do modern history, and so things like the Cold War crop up all over the place. Theoretically, I could write the same essay on the Cold War for different modules, and just tinker with it slightly to make it more aligned with the primary topic of the various modules. You have to also make sure your submitted work does not have a significant overlap, so they caution against using the same sources for different modules.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 9, 2024
    Hey everyone, I need some advice. Taylor Wessing asks for a cover letter, but one of their questions is "What motivates you for a career in Law at Taylor Wessing and what key skills would you bring?". This question essentially overlaps with the content of the cover letter. How can I avoid repeating myself in both?

@Andrei Radu
    Hi Bella, I agree with @safari3's advice here. I would still seek to answer the three main questions in the cover letter as well (Why commercial law, Why the firm, Why me) but I would seek to employ more of a 'narrative structure' and speak more about personal experiences. Essentially, you should describe your personal, academic, and professional trajectory more broadly, focusing on how your journey had led to where you are now. In the application form question, while answering the same questions, you should write in a to-the-point style and implement a very clear structure. Your points should be a lot more factual and the experiences you describe should be more academic/work related.

As for the 'Why the firm' section, as @Jessica Booker mentioned, you can make the application form question answer more around the work opportunities (seats and rotations; secondments; practice area and sector expertise; client base etc) and the cover letter answer more around the working environment and why that is a great fit for your personality (here, you can discuss the training programme specifics and culture more, but perhaps also the working environment in the teams/practice areas of the firm you are interested in and more broadly the working environment at a type of commercial law firm like Taylor Wessing).

The one thing I will add is that while avoiding repeating the experiences you mention is ideal, it is not an issue if the points that you are illustrating through those experiences and the details of the experiences you are describing are different in the application form answer and the cover letter. As said before, the cover letter is meant to allow you to show your personality more. As such, you could also provide a more detailed explanation as to your fundamental motivations from a personal perspective in it. For instance, say your basic answer to 'Why commercial law' in the application form question looks something like this:
    1. Becoming a commercial solicitor because this is the only career path that involves working at the junction point of legal and business advisory.
    2. I have this academic/professional experience (explained with a STAR structure) which has shown me I am attracted to/a good fit for a career that involves both business and legal advisory.
    3. Therefore, I want to be a commercial solicitor.
    In the cover letter, you could discuss the same experience and underlying motivation for commercial law, but from a different perspective. You could use the opportunity to dig a lot deeper into your deeper personal interests and motivations: what is it about you that makes you attracted to an advisory role as opposed to an executive one? What is it about the legal and business world that would make learning about it more interesting than other fields? When did you realise you had these interests, and did you consider any other career paths? If so, which did you consider, and what steps did you take to confirm that commercial law is indeed the optimal choice? How did this impact you and lead to the evolution of your professional interests and preferences over time? The point is, you can delve a lot deeper into all the thought processes and less significant prior experiences that led up to the point at which you are now. While the final conclusion of this exposition might be the same attraction to business and legal advisory you mention in your application form answer, this does add a lot of value to the recruiter's understanding of you as a person. This is a lot of useful information and contextualization that would simply be impossible to include in the application form answer due to the space constraints and would therefore likely not be deemed a mere repetition.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Lots of people keep mentioning it lately. I wonder if this is one of the myths running round universities and particularly if people are paranoid about using things like AI.
    I was also worried about 'self-plagiarism', as I was about to submit the same answer to an application question that I used last year. (improved, but some sentences were the same) It’s connected to our university experience—for example, I had to write my Master's dissertation on a law I think should be reformed. I remember doing an undergraduate essay on the same issue and thought I could reuse parts of it. However, professors said this would be considered self-plagiarism, and we're not allowed to incorporate even our previous work into new essays for university! (and during my undergraduate degree professors also continuously said we were not allowed to use our old work) This made me wonder if the same concept applies to law firms applications ahaha

Reactions: legallybrunette8

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.