• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
does anyone know if latham's test has a vi element? also if anyone has any tips i would appreciate it.
Hey @lolololol , when I did it last year, there was one VI question at the end. I am unsure about this year, but I presume it is the same as there has been a VI element for over 3 years now. In relating to preparing for video interviews, I’d say you should take some time to understand your skills and competencies. VI usually require you to explain how you demonstrated a key competency that is valuable to the firm. You will need to not just state these competencies, but show examples of how you demonstrated these. It’s sort of like an expanded version of STAR, only that you will need to make it more conversational and less script-like than you initially would in an online application.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Can anyone provide some tips for this CMS question? The only tangible instance I've used AI is the use of Grammarly for uni coursework and applications. How do I link it to personal development seeing that my use is not really that fancy?

Describe a specific instance where you have utilised artificial intelligence (AI) or other technologies in your work or studies. How have these tools enhanced your personal development?
Since you haven't used AI for anything substantial, it will be difficult to get to a conclusion that it improved your personal development directly. However, if you are willing to be a bit flexible with your writing, I think you can tie your use of Grammarly to some indirect resulting personal developments. Off the top of my head, I can think of:
  1. By using it, you have saved significant amounts of time you would have normally spent reviewing and rephrasing your writing. This enabled you to invest more time and effort into improving your understanding of the subject matter of your coursework and into improving your understanding of the law firms you were applying to. The, you could give concrete examples of this and/or explain the outcomes: did your academic/professional interests change in any way? did you obtain better results - more success in application or better grades?
  2. By using it to assess your manner of writing, you have been able to notice patterns in the errors you make when writing. This has allowed you to enhance your attention to detail and also improve your understanding of your strengths and weaknesses in your ability to articulate your thoughts. Then, you can explain how this progressively led to you improving your capacity to use language precisely. This arguably does not only also betters your capacity to express yourself both verbally and in writing, it also improves your ability to minimize ambiguity in thought itself (as the very act of reasoning involved representing concepts in language). Granted, this point might be a bit of a stretch, but I don't think it's impossible to make it fit for an application form answer if you can illustrate it by using some practical examples.
The other point I wanted to mention is that the application question says 'AI or other technologies'. As such, maybe you can think of some other new technology besides AI that you have used recently - perhaps some smarter search engine when looking for further resources in your research for the coursework?

Reactions: Jaysen

Amma Usman

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
bit of a silly question but if a firm has the same app questions as last year, can i reuse my answers knowing that i managed to get past the written app stage with them?
Hey @legallybrunette8 , I’d say you should definitely switch things up a bit. You will have gained so much more knowledge and experiences between last year and now - would be worth demonstrating this via the initial stages. It is also arguable that firms may have ways of testing whether the same application has been submitted twice. I also understand that the reasons for choosing the same firm twice may be consistent between last year and now, so its understandable to repeat a few points. However, consider linking them to new points/developments in your own knowledge, or knowledge about the firm.

Andrei Radu

Esteemed Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Describe the personal event or experience that, more than anything else, made you realise your desire to work in a law firm and specifically at Fieldfisher.

Guys, I’ve got a bit of a dilemma here. I went to an event two years ago where I talked to a trainee at the firm, I've got info on the event and what they said, but I forgot to write down their name in my journal! Now I’m trying to write an answer for this question, and without the trainee's name, it feels like I could’ve spoken to a trainee from any firm about the usual stuff like collegiality and a positive environment. Any ideas on how to approach this? I'm attending an event with Fieldfisher tonight, which I could describe in more detail. But obviously, this isn’t the event that made me realise I wanted to work at a law firm, especially at Fieldfisher – that realisation happened much earlier ahaha
That happened to me in the past as well, it's quite a frustrating experience. What I would advise you to do is to try to speak with people at the firm and ask the same questions that elicited the response you got two year ago - perhaps someone will describe the same/very similar experiences. Then you can quote their names and phrase your answer along the lines of 'Having spoken to trainees at FIeldfisher at X event in the past, I learnt that ... (point about culture/work environment). I subsequently spoke to X person from the firm, who told me ... (and then you explain how their experience reinforces the point) which confirmed my desire to work at the firm'. You could try to engage with the people at the firm you will meet tonight and/or also reach out on LinkedIn.

Alternatively, if you know any further details about the trainee you spoke to in the past (what university they attended, what degree, which seats and potential qualification choice, nationality etc) and if you can invest some time into this, you can try to look for them on LinkedIn using the relevant filters. Assuming you have some recollection as to how they looked like, you may recognise them from the profile picture.

Finally, if neither option works for you I would still advise you to nonetheless mention the interaction - it is still good to discuss firm events you've attended and what you learnt from them.

Reactions: Jaysen and bella98

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was also worried about 'self-plagiarism', as I was about to submit the same answer to an application question that I used last year. (improved, but some sentences were the same) It’s connected to our university experience—for example, I had to write my Master's dissertation on a law I think should be reformed. I remember doing an undergraduate essay on the same issue and thought I could reuse parts of it. However, professors said this would be considered self-plagiarism, and we're not allowed to incorporate even our previous work into new essays for university! (and during my undergraduate degree professors also continuously said we were not allowed to use our old work) This made me wonder if the same concept applies to law firms applications ahaha
Just to stress, law firms will not be acting like academics in regards to this.

They will however be thinking about what you have done since your last application to keep developing your skills and to pursue the career.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Same here, I had a friend get an academic warning for plagiarism because he used parts of his past formative essay in a summative lol.
I now understand why people are worried about it on here! Thanks for clarifying everyone - I will try to allieviate future fears by explaining this is not a thing for law firms, just academics!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For DLA, is it ok to exceed the 200 word limit as long as I stay within the 1500-character limit. I have written about 210 words for Question 1, but my character count is only 1426. Do I still need to cut down on words.
I think this will be fine as otherwise they would just say it was a word limit.

Reactions: nliro85

asplawyer100

Feb 13, 2024
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out whether Mishcon recruits on a rolling basis, and I find this answer on their website very confusing:

"We don't recruit on a rolling basis and whilst we do read all Vacation Scheme applications that have been submitted, we would recommend that you look to apply earlier to give you the best chance of securing an assessment day with us. "

So we don't recruit on a rolling basis, but submitting your application earlier still gives you a better chance of securing an assessment day with us? How does this work?

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, I'm trying to figure out whether Mishcon recruits on a rolling basis, and I find this answer on their website very confusing:

"We don't recruit on a rolling basis and whilst we do read all Vacation Scheme applications that have been submitted, we would recommend that you look to apply earlier to give you the best chance of securing an assessment day with us. "

So we don't recruit on a rolling basis, but submitting your application earlier still gives you a better chance of securing an assessment day with us? How does this work?
I read this that they review applications on a rolling basis but don't finalise interviews or make offers until after applications have closed - I could be wrong though.

HZP1309

Feb 5, 2024
At DLA Piper, we believe great business can make a better world. We believe in being bold, driven, compassionate, and collaborative. We are keen to hear what inspired your application. Why are you interested in starting a legal career at DLA Piper? 200 words

Would it be wise to split why law and why DLA into a 100 words each or would it better to do more for why DLA?

lolololol

Star Member
Nov 13, 2023
Hey @lolololol , when I did it last year, there was one VI question at the end. I am unsure about this year, but I presume it is the same as there has been a VI element for over 3 years now. In relating to preparing for video interviews, I’d say you should take some time to understand your skills and competencies. VI usually require you to explain how you demonstrated a key competency that is valuable to the firm. You will need to not just state these competencies, but show examples of how you demonstrated these. It’s sort of like an expanded version of STAR, only that you will need to make it more conversational and less script-like than you initially would in an online application.
thank you!!!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.