• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

dollydaydream

Standard Member
Aug 15, 2024
When HSF says that they ‘look for consistent 2.1s throughout ALL your undergraduate modules’ does that mean I shouldn’t apply if i got a 2.2 in one module, i dont have any mitigating circumstances tbh i just messed up one paper
I know someone who got a 2:2 in contract law and still got a TC so I wouldn’t let it put you off !

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
For the question "How have you chosen to use AI tools (such as ChatGPT) in your application (99 words)?" I have answered this question as, "I have used AI tools such as ChatGPT to check for grammatical errors and Grammarly to assist with proofreading in my application." Is this a suitable response, or should I add more detail?

Hi @Maddy

Your response is generally good. With questions like these, it's a good idea to be specific about how you've used the tool in the context of your application. You could potentially consider expanding a bit by mentioning which sections you used AI tools for. For example, checking grammar in your work entries section or proofreading your answers to application questions. Such specificity shows thoughtfulness and attention to detail, which firms often value.

Best of luck with your application!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Do Bird & Bird not accept LPC graduates? Only SQE?

Hiya @gazdgazd11 :)

It appears Bird & Bird doesn't decide who to recruit on the basis of whether they've completed the LPC or SQE. You'll be able to read more about this in the firm's FAQ section, which can be found here. I think it's definitely worth giving them a shot - good luck!

jasonbourne

• Feb 9, 2024
    Hey guys, just had a question I wanted your advice on. I'm currently applying to a firm's open day, for which its deadline is 1st Nov. I know a little bit about the firm, not too much, which is why I went ahead to apply to the open day.

I also want to apply to their vac scheme, the deadline for this is 1 Jan 2025 + it's rolling.

My question is, do I go ahead and apply for the open day and possibly wait a very long time to hear back on whether I secured a place, AND risk a subsequent vac scheme app rejection bc of the fact it's rolling?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys, just had a question I wanted your advice on. I'm currently applying to a firm's open day, for which its deadline is 1st Nov. I know a little bit about the firm, not too much, which is why I went ahead to apply to the open day.

I also want to apply to their vac scheme, the deadline for this is 1 Jan 2025 + it's rolling.

My question is, do I go ahead and apply for the open day and possibly wait a very long time to hear back on whether I secured a place, AND risk a subsequent vac scheme app rejection bc of the fact it's rolling?
    Definitely wait for a decision on your open day application. You'd easily have the whole of December (and maybe even more of November) to apply for the vacation scheme and with rolling recruitment, the vast majority of people will still apply in the last 2-3 weeks.

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 7, 2024

Just building on what @Jessica Booker said in response. It’s great that you’re considering both the open day and the vac scheme! Your concern about potentially waiting a long time to hear back about the open day and the impact that might have on your vac scheme application also makes sense. Like Jess, though, I'd suggest waiting until you've made the open day application, especially if you feel that attending the open day will give you additional insights and help you strengthen your vacation scheme application.

Alternatively, I don’t think attending the open day is strictly necessary to write a compelling vac scheme application. If you've written strong, well-researched answers, there's no harm in applying for the vac scheme now. For context, when I was applying to Cooley, I was unsuccessful in securing an open day, but made it through to the vac scheme during the same application cycle. Whatever you decide, best of luck with both applications! Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions :)

Mena M

Star Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Hi all. I stupidly completed the A&O Shearman application form without having expanded on the skill section or application of those skills in the work experience tab. I've seen a lot of messages here since about story telling, or linking back, or writing loads etc. I absolutely did not do that. I laid out in concise detail what the responsibilities in that role were and any relevant achievements. I then listed directly below any relevant skills I learned from them. They were different per entry and weren't just basic ones like teamwork and organisation, they were quite particular to the role. I also saw written here that my online assessment is reviewed by somebody else to the individual reviewing my application form. I'm convinced I've set myself up for failure here. Is this a realistic conclusion to come to? Has anyone succeeded using my approach?

Apple

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    I suspect this has got somewhat lost in translation and that they look for a consistent 2.1 rather than consistently across all modules.
    Just to clarify as I think they were referring to their friend getting through rather than the 2;1 requirement.

On the application form to the HSF WVS it states "we do look for consistent 2:1s throughout all your undergraduate modules". IDK if its just poorly worded, pretty harsh requirement!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.