• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
In the work experience section. How do we write our Forage experience? Should we write like our normal work experience and say ' I answered to clients emails and reviewed NDAs'?

Hiya @Maddy

Adding your Forage virtual internship to the work experience section is a great way to showcase your interest in law, and I definitely think it's worth including. However, rather than just listing tasks (e.g., "I answered clients' emails and reviewed NDAs"), I've generally found it more impactful to highlight what you found interesting and what you enjoyed learning through these virtual internships. You might mention any insights you gained or the skills you developed while completing these tasks, showing that you understood the significance of the work you did.

For example, you could say something to the effect of:

"In my Forage virtual internship with [X firm], I had the opportunity to review key documents such as non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) and contracts related to cross-border transactions. One of the aspects I found most interesting was understanding the importance of precision in drafting and reviewing legal documents—how even slight variations in wording can significantly impact the terms of a deal. This helped sharpen my attention to detail, as I had to identify potential risks and inconsistencies within these documents."

This sort of reflective approach not only highlights legal interest but also demonstrates the way these internships can improve your commercial understanding and valuable skills. Additionally, I think this approach can also be applied when discussing open days or insight events you've attended.

Maddy

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Apr 8, 2024
Hiya @Maddy

Adding your Forage virtual internship to the work experience section is a great way to showcase your interest in law, and I definitely think it's worth including. However, rather than just listing tasks (e.g., "I answered clients' emails and reviewed NDAs"), I've generally found it more impactful to highlight what you found interesting and what you enjoyed learning through these virtual internships. You might mention any insights you gained or the skills you developed while completing these tasks, showing that you understood the significance of the work you did.

"In my Forage virtual internship with [X firm], I had the opportunity to review key documents such as non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) and contracts related to cross-border transactions. One of the aspects I found most interesting was understanding the importance of precision in drafting and reviewing legal documents—how even slight variations in wording can significantly impact the terms of a deal. This helped sharpen my attention to detail, as I had to identify potential risks and inconsistencies within these documents."

This sort of reflective approach not only highlights legal interest but also demonstrates the way these internships can improve your commercial understanding and valuable skills. Additionally, I think this approach can also be applied when discussing open days or insight events you've attended.
This is really helpful. Thank you so much!

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Is it a really stupid thing to use a bit of comedy in an app question? Like Covington's "what product what you invent, and why?" Should I just do a serious answer or does it not matter as long as you answer it convincingly?

Just wanted to echo @Jessica Booker 's reply.

I'd recommend avoiding humour for these types of questions and, in most cases, for applications more generally (I'm saying this as someone who LOVES improv). While it’s tempting to try something different, firms are typically looking for professionalism and evidence of clear thinking. For Covington’s question about inventing a product, it’s important to use the opportunity to showcase creativity and insight. That being said, I’d still encourage you to let your personality shine through, which will help your answer stand out whilst showing strong analytical ability and creativity. Just keep the tone professional and use the question to highlight how you think critically. Best of luck!

Maddy

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Apr 8, 2024
Hiya @Maddy

@Ram Sabaratnam
Is it okay to write all of my 3 Forage experiences separately or should I write them together in one paragraph?

tomsmitg

Dec 27, 2023
Hi, if some of my university modules were within say the top 5% of scores in that cohort, would it be a good idea to include that in the extra information for the undergraduate results section? Especially if the score was maybe 70 and that was one of the highest scores in the year ?

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
@Ram Sabaratnam
Is it okay to write all of my 3 Forage experiences separately or should I write them together in one paragraph?

It's perfectly alright to lump them together in the same entry, especially if the experiences were quite similar (e.g. if one or more of the virtual internships dealt with M&A matters). I did this for many of my open days and insight events. Just make sure you still highlight any unique aspects or key takeaways from each one to show what you learned overall. This way, you're not repeating yourself but still giving a fuller picture of your experience.

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
how are people who are working managing their time with applications? i feel so behind already!!

Hiya @yeezyee :)

I completely feel you! Writing applications is already challenging enough, but especially so if you're in a full-time role, have caring responsibilities, or any other commitments. I remember needing to catch my breath a few times when working full-time alongside writing applications. But having done it myself and having helped several career changers in similar situations, I have faith in you and believe it can absolutely be done.

One thing I'd recommend is to really focus on firms that you're genuinely interested in, rather than spreading yourself thin by spending time on firms that you don't feel very passionate about. Finding firms who do work which speaks to you can really help with motivation and make the application process feel less difficult.

A strategy that helped me was having a document with all my work experience entries fully edited. That way, I could easily copy + paste them into different forms, rather than writing new ones for each application. I also had another document with common application questions – like 'why commercial law' or 'tell us about a time you did X' – which I used as templates. This allowed me to tailor answers to each firm quickly, saving more time in the process.

Lastly, make sure you take a break before reviewing and submitting your application. It’s easier to spot mistakes when you come back with fresh eyes. Tools like ChatGPT can also be super helpful for quickly checking spelling or grammar (I used Grammarly back when I was applying). You also don't want your hard work to be undermined by basic or easily resolvable errors.

These strategies helped me take less time, and I'm sure other Community Assistants and forum users have their own approach. Hang in there! You got this!

Last edited:

unknownnn7372

Standard Member
Jul 3, 2023
If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters).

how would you answer this question for DLA Piper? I am really confused.

Also, have a lot of people heard back from Sidley's vac scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, if some of my university modules were within say the top 5% of scores in that cohort, would it be a good idea to include that in the extra information for the undergraduate results section? Especially if the score was maybe 70 and that was one of the highest scores in the year ?
Yes - I would definitely try to highlight anything like this in appropriate places within an application form. This type of context can be very useful to show how strong your grades were.

Reactions: Tintin06

Ram Sabaratnam

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
If successful in securing a training contract after the Summer Internship, what do you anticipate will be the key challenges of the International Training Programme for you? How would you approach these challenges, and what resources or support do you believe you would need to overcome them? (Max 200 words/1,500 Characters).

how would you answer this question for DLA Piper? I am really confused.

Also, have a lot of people heard back from Sidley's vac scheme?

Hi @unknownnn7372

I think the key to answering this question is to be realistic, showing that you've thought through the potential challenges of being a trainee and have already begun taking practical steps to tackle them.

When I was asked a similar question during a partner interview, I tried to take this approach. I mentioned two challenges I had personally identified while completing vacation schemes with other firms. These included learning how to prioritise tasks when everything seems important to me at the time, and adapting to new systems or technology at the previous firm. I also discussed the specific steps I was taking to improve. For instance, when dealing with the first problem of prioritisation, I talked about developing a strong relationship with my supervisor and being proactive in asking for guidance whenever it was unclear how tasks should be prioritised. As for my point about IT and new systems, I explained how I would try to familiarise myself with new tools provided by the firm while also engaging with the firm’s IT support team.

When answering this question for DLA Piper, try to anticipate challenges that trainees might face and consider which ones you are most likely to experience personally. Then, think about how you would utilise resources like the support of your supervisors, mentoring schemes, or the firm’s professional support teams to help overcome these challenges.

Best of luck with the application!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.