• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is it a really stupid thing to use a bit of comedy in an app question? Like Covington's "what product what you invent, and why?" Should I just do a serious answer or does it not matter as long as you answer it convincingly?
I'd avoid humour for these type of questions, and in most instances, more generally in apps as well.

• ℹ️
Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

l789

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2020
how are people who are working managing their time with applications? i feel so behind already!!
Idek at this point, working part time, studying, volunteering and trying to attend virtual and in person events for my targeted firms…. I’m really starting to stress. Sleep is not for me at this point

On top of that I’m still applying for more work experience and volunteering opportunities to help build my cv 😭

• 🤝
Reactions: VMS and SamiyaJ

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Absolutely. I did this for White & Case and got to interview so I think it's useful to break things up with headings. Lawyers will often skim read things because time is money (among other things) so accessible formats have a lot of currency.
Many thanks!

@Tintin06 what question(s) did you do this for, and what questions do you think is best to adopt this approach for (cover letter, why commercial law, short questions etc)?

Lastseasonwonder

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Hi @Lastseasonwonder. I had used a combination of both prose and headings, as well as bullet-points in my application answers and got progressed onto the next stage. However, often times I found myself using prose. I would say regardless of which format you use, ensure you answer all arms of the question and don’t spin off on any tangents. Hope this helps, and feel free to drop any more questions if you have them :)
Many thanks @Amma Usman

But can't prose and headings be used at the same time? For instance, the below:

Heading 1

TEXT IN PROSE

Heading 2

TEXT IN PROSE

RonRod13

Valued Member
  • Nov 18, 2023
    No but I keep getting emails from them about applying for open days that I applied for weeks ago 😭 like please just respond, please just respond
    It’s actually excruciating how long all these firms take to respond. Every other job and every other industry will respond after a week/ month maybe max. It’s a mix of too much competition and too much inefficiency tbh

sammm10101

Star Member
    Aug 15, 2024
    It’s actually excruciating how long all these firms take to respond. Every other job and every other industry will respond after a week/ month maybe max. It’s a mix of too much competition and too much inefficiency tbh
    To be fair, I've been waiting for roughly 3 months to hear back from Blackrock and 2 months to hear back from BNP Paribas post interview.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.