• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
With some firms opening their applications for winter, spring and summer schemes in the coming weeks, we thought it was time to open a new thread for a new application cycle.

Please use this master thread to discuss anything related to vacation scheme applications for the 2024-2025 application cycle. This can include everything from application and interview queries to news from particular law firms.

If you want to check last year's thread you can find it here: TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Wishing everyone the best of luck for the upcoming cycle.

Thanks,

Jess

Szofi66

Esteemed Member
Oct 22, 2023
Hi, does anyone know when winter vacation usually starts at the University of Law (conversion course, 50 weeks, full time)? Admissions said that we'll get the official timetable a couple of weeks before course start date, but would be good to know as soon as possible for winter vac scheme apps

Reactions: user3883930

user3883930

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2024
Hi, does anyone know when winter vacation usually starts at the University of Law (conversion course, 50 weeks, full time)? Admissions said that we'll get the official timetable a couple of weeks before course start date, but would be good to know as soon as possible for winter vac scheme apps

I'm not sure if the winter break dates have changed, but I've recently completed the PGDL at Ulaw and our break started on the 10th of December and ended on the 8th of January.

Reactions: Szofi66

EzeLaylor

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 15, 2021
    Shout out to @Jessica Booker on 5 years with TCLA!
    I saw Jaysen's post on Linkedin and thought I would say congrats here as well. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say the forum wouldn't be the same without you - You're an icon!

Netflix Icon GIF by Blown Away

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Awww Shout out to @Jessica Booker on 5 years with TCLA!
    I saw Jaysen's post on Linkedin and thought I would say congrats here as well. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say the forum wouldn't be the same without you - You're an icon!

Netflix Icon GIF by Blown Away
    Snow White And The Seven Dwarves Dwarf GIF

ayiiii05

Esteemed Member
    Nov 10, 2023
    Hi everyone, I have officially finished my application cycle. I am currently preparing applications for firms I want to apply to next cycle and would appreciate it if anyone has some insight into these firms:

Freshfields, Travers Smith, Akin, Willkie, Davis Polk, Skadden, Gibson Dunn, Goodwin, Weil, Arnold & Porter, Latham & Watkins, A&O Shearman, NRF and, Ashurst.

It doesn't just have to be application tips (which would be great lol) but even if you've been to these firms, I would like to know about your experience, positive or negative, to learn more about the environment as some firms won't provide open days for final years.

Thank you all and good luck everyone <3

Last edited:

SoonToBeTrainee

Star Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    Hi everyone, I have officially finished my application cycle. I am currently preparing applications for firms I want to apply to next cycle and would appreciate it if anyone has some insight into these firms:

Freshfields, Travers Smith, Akin, Willkie, Davis Polk, Skadden, Gibson Dunn, Goodwin, Weil, Arnold & Porter, Latham & Watkins, A&O Shearman, NRF and, Ashurst.

It doesn't just have to be application tips (which would be great lol) but even if you've been to these firms, I would like to know about your experience, positive or negative, to learn more about the environment as some firms won't provide open days for final years.

Thank you all and good luck everyone <3
    I saw that you originally mentioned your interest in the US firms, so I'd recommend making tailored applications for these (this, of course, applies to every firm you apply to anyway). But, Latham, Goodwin, and Davis Polk, for example, are all very, very different from each other (despite all being US).

I will say publicly that I've always found Wilkie and Latham to be particularly friendly. My brief passings with NRF and Ashurst left me with a positive perception of those firms too. I've never actually been in any of these offices for the day-to-day work however, so can't confirm.

On culture/experiences more generally, though, I've always personally found that it varies more at the practice area level than the firm-wide level anyway. Different practice areas generally attract different personality types. So, don't necessarily be put off a firm because someone said they had a bad experience in X department.

Ultimately, apply to all the firms you're interested in. If you get a TC offer, the firm thinks you're the right fit!

Last edited:

stone’sthrow

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 9, 2019
    I saw that you originally mentioned your interest in the US firms, so I'd recommend making tailored applications for these (this, of course, applies to every firm you apply to anyway). But, Latham, Goodwin, and Davis Polk, for example, are all very, very different from each other (despite all being US).

I will say publicly that I've always found Wilkie and Latham to be particularly friendly. My brief passings with NRF and Ashurst left me with a positive perception of those firms too. I've never actually been in any of these offices for the day-to-day work however, so can't confirm.

On culture/experiences more generally, though, I've always personally found that it varies more at the practice area level than the firm-wide level anyway. Different practice areas generally attract different personality types. So, don't necessarily be put off a firm because someone said they had a bad experience in X department.

Ultimately, apply to all the firms you're interested in. If you get a TC offer, the firm thinks you're the right fit!
    What personality types do you associate with which practice areas?

Thanks!

ayiiii05

Esteemed Member
    Nov 10, 2023

Thank you so much! I've heard a few times that different practice areas attract different personality types, if possible could you give an example?
    But I won't completely write off a firm due to someone else's experience, I just don't want to think of a firm as "perfect" in some sense. I appreciate your response :)

shreya.mehta

Sep 8, 2023
    Hi I have been making vacation scheme applications since the past two years but my application doesn't proceed beyond the first stage i.e the applying stage. I have gotten my application reviewed by my university counsellors as well before submitting. I was hoping if anyone had tips regarding how do I structure my applications or approach the questions? What advice would you have regarding how to make a solid application?

A bit of a background on me, I'm a non-law student going to enter my third year of university and really determined to securing a training contract/vs. I have also undertaken a few courses on forage in order to build my legal skills and demonstrate my interest in law. Is there anything else/other opportunities for non law students that I could do?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi I have been making vacation scheme applications since the past two years but my application doesn't proceed beyond the first stage i.e the applying stage. I have gotten my application reviewed by my university counsellors as well before submitting. I was hoping if anyone had tips regarding how do I structure my applications or approach the questions? What advice would you have regarding how to make a solid application?

A bit of a background on me, I'm a non-law student going to enter my third year of university and really determined to securing a training contract/vs. I have also undertaken a few courses on forage in order to build my legal skills and demonstrate my interest in law. Is there anything else/other opportunities for non law students that I could do?
    If you have been applying for two years, you have been very ahead of the typical application cycle. Most non-law students won’t be securing placements until their final year, so I wouldn’t take the last two years as an indication of what might happen this year. There will be many more opportunities available to you this year than the past two years.

Reactions: jmak

walterwhite

Jan 12, 2024
    Sidley Austin has made it so difficult to find the application page that I'm convinced my odds are substantially higher on the basis of it scaring 90% of applicants away.
    Having to be redirected multiple times just to access their cvMail platform must be, in itself, apart of their screening process. I'm actually quite proud of myself for it

futuretrainee2025

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    I'm sure this is a stupid question but how feasible is it to do the gdl while applying for TC's, extracurriculars, possibly working weekends etc?

How many contact hours are there typically and how many hours of self-study/prep?

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Are graduates eligible to apply for A&O Shearman WWS? There if conflicting info on their website. On one page it says the following:

"We’re able to welcome students in their first year of a three-year (or second year of a four-year) undergraduate degree from any degree discipline"

On another page it says the following:
    "Students in their penultimate or final year of study, or graduates from any degree discipline"

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.