• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Are graduates eligible to apply for A&O Shearman WWS? There if conflicting info on their website. On one page it says the following:

"We’re able to welcome students in their first year of a three-year (or second year of a four-year) undergraduate degree from any degree discipline"

On another page it says the following:
"Students in their penultimate or final year of study, or graduates from any degree discipline"
When you click the apply link on the requirements it says “Students in their penultimate or final year of study, or graduates from any degree discipline”, so I’d say yes.

This is separate but I thought it’d be helpful as I thought they were rolling, but it says they aren’t and applicants should expect to hear w/c 7th October

PSharon

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2023
AO Shearman winter vac scheme has no application questions. Does this favour good grades since there is no chance to show strength apart from work experience (I don't have recent legal experience in the past year)

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
Are graduates eligible to apply for A&O Shearman WWS? There if conflicting info on their website. On one page it says the following:

"We’re able to welcome students in their first year of a three-year (or second year of a four-year) undergraduate degree from any degree discipline"

On another page it says the following:
"Students in their penultimate or final year of study, or graduates from any degree discipline"
are you sure you're not seeing something for their first year programme, which is for first year of three, or second of four. Winter vacation scheme is definitely penultimate and beyond, including graduates.

Reactions: Apple

SoonToBeTrainee

Star Member
  • Dec 29, 2023
    AO Shearman winter vac scheme has no application questions. Does this favour good grades since there is no chance to show strength apart from work experience (I don't have recent legal experience in the past year)
    They've adopted A&O's old application approach.
    You'll automatically get sent a SJT, following the submission of the written form.
    This SJT will then also have a few video-recorded questions that you'll need to answer.

From their website directly:

1. Online Application​

You will be required to submit an online application which details your work and education history.

You will then be sent an email which will contain a link to complete an interactive assessment. The assessment will include verbal and numerical reasoning items and two short motivation questions to complete via video. The interactive assessment is untimed and should take around 45 minutes. The interactive assessment is designed to provide a realistic preview of what you may experience as a trainee at A&O Shearman as well as give us an insight into your motivations.

wqueens8

Jun 28, 2024
    If the form is asking for full details of all legal and non-legal experience, what should be added?

I've had retail and hospitality jobs, so I'll add them. But also 'm a campus ambassador, I did a one day workshop at a firm, i'm on the committee of a society, should i add these?

Apple

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    If the form is asking for full details of all legal and non-legal experience, what should be added?

I've had retail and hospitality jobs, so I'll add them. But also 'm a campus ambassador, I did a one day workshop at a firm, i'm on the committee of a society, should i add these?
    My approach is to group "open day/one day events" into a single category. But something like campus ambassador I'd put in its own unless there was an extra curriculars box.

Reactions: SoonToBeTrainee

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would include all of those, unless there is a specific section for extra curriculars, and then the committee role should be included there instead.

Apple

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    If I only got a 63% in my second year with two 2:2 modules, should I just give up on applying to some US firms or MC that strongly emphasise on grades
    I interviewed at Slaughters and W&C with similar grades, so if its a firm you're really interested in go for it.

Worst case scenario you spent a day applying to a firm you didn't get interviewed at.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    is it okay to apply to law firms that ask for AAB with ABB grades? I imagine this would depend on the firms I'm applying to (Hogan Lovells, Bird n Bird, and Taylor Wessing). I'm more interested in whether this is an essential criterion or desirable. If not, I am okay with this as they aren't the only firms I am applying for.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.