• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Nine

Feb 15, 2024
@Jessica Booker Hi! I’m hoping to get your advice on how I should go about applying to a firm where I previously applied for a Vac scheme, got the VI, but didn’t make it to the AC, and very recently they emailed me and offered a VI again for a TC (I had marked TC and VS on the application form which is perhaps why). Both times, I have not been able to perform very well on the VI - I want to reapply to this firm this year but is this advisable? I understand I would need to have a drastic change in my application + VI to be invited to an AC but what are your thoughts on this?

Happy to hear any advice anyone has for me!

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
Hi all, just after some general advice please.

I’m a career changer (well, trying to achieve this). I work full time and have now started the PGDL. I am trying to balance it all but as you can imagine, working full time/studying and also doing applications is intense. Would you recommend I should apply for both VS and TCs or just apply for TCs? I want to use my time efficiently this cycle and not just apply to everything for the sake of it as I want to produce good quality applications.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

latome19

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 13, 2023

I’m a career changer (well, trying to achieve this). I work full time and have now started the PGDL. I am trying to balance it all but as you can imagine, working full time/studying and also doing applications is intense. Would you recommend I should apply for both VS and TCs or just apply for TCs? I want to use my time efficiently this cycle and not just apply to everything for the sake of it as I want to produce good quality applications.

To maximise your chances, you realistically will need to apply for both VSc and TCs. Doing the pgdl will not necessarily increase your chances of succeeding as the kind of things that you study are not really helpful in interviews/applications. Getting a distinction in Pgdl to excel in the future potential cycles is also likely to be a challenge on its own.

Reactions: jmak

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Will taking time off work be problematic/will you have to declare alternative employment to your current employer (and if so, could that be a problem for you)?

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
To maximise your chances, you realistically will need to apply for both VSc and TCs. Doing the pgdl will not necessarily increase your chances of succeeding as the kind of things that you study are not really helpful in interviews/applications. Getting a distinction in Pgdl to excel in the future potential cycles is also likely to be a challenge on its own.
Thanks! Super helpful. Looks like I need to prioritise both VS and TCs so I’ll do exactly that 😊

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
Will taking time off work be problematic/will you have to declare alternative employment to your current employer (and if so, could that be a problem for you)?
Luckily, I do have some WFH weeks I can take (taking a week next week) so that would be a massive help and I’m saving my annual leave in case I do manage to get a WVS. Stupid question but if I get a VS, do I have to declare this to my current employer?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Luckily, I do have some WFH weeks I can take (taking a week next week) so that would be a massive help and I’m saving my annual leave in case I do manage to get a WVS. Stupid question but if I get a VS, do I have to declare this to my current employer?
You may have to - you'll need to check your employment contract terms, but it is a fairly standard clause that other forms of employment or things like being a director/trustee of a business/organisation have to be declared. I'd check your employment contract before you decide your application strategy anyway.

Reactions: SamiyaJ

SamiyaJ

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 16, 2024
You may have to - you'll need to check your employment contract terms, but it is a fairly standard clause that other forms of employment or things like being a director/trustee of a business/organisation have to be declared. I'd check your employment contract before you decide your application strategy anyway.
Will do, thank you Jessica.

Amma Usman

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Hello, does anyone have any advice for Gibson Dunn cover letter (especially middle east one), and who should we address it to ?
Hey @Soniastudent , thanks for your question! :) I remember having these same inquiries when I was drafting my cover letters. Here are a few tips based on your specific concerns:

Recipient:​

• Generally, this would be ‘Hiring Manager’ or ‘Graduate Recruitment Team’. You could include this at the start of your cover letter before the main body.

General Advice (Cover Letters):​

• In a cover letter for a commercial law firm, it would be good to cover your motivations for a career in the profession. Why have you decided to go into law? Why is it ’commercial’ law you want to go into? What it is about a career in this specific profession you want, that other jobs in say marketing or investment banking may not offer you? Really dig deep into your passions, interests, and work experiences to answer this. This shows demonstrated interest. Another thing candidates often forget is that you don’t necessarily need legal work experience to show demonstrated interest. Leverage all your experiences.
  • Another focal point is to address the reasons why a particular firm appeals to you. Avoid generic points like stimulating work or an international presence - a lot of law firms, and indeed professions outside law, offer this. Firms will have specialties across a broad range of practices but will generally specialize in some practices more than others. Thoroughly explore a firm‘s practice offerings.
  • Leverage any extracurriculars or achievements as this would suggest an ability to juggle multiple commitments - soft skills for lawyers. You would want to dig deep into your past involvements to answer this. Often times as candidates, we forget about how much we have done and how valuable these are to employers.

Middle East Office:​

• In a law firm, you will often find that certain offices engage in certain types of work and deal with certain types of clients based on local expertise. In the Middle East region, you will mainly see that clients of law firms tend to be within the energy sector, for example. For your specific inquiry on Gibson Dunn, it would be worth researching on the types of clients/deals the firm works with in the Middle East. From this, explore why they appeal to you and the type of work you want to do later on.
  • Gibson Dunn recently opened an office in Riyadh, so has a strong and growing presence in this region. If you are applying for a scheme in the Middle East, you would also want to research about recent and proposed future developments the firm is engaging in, as this will show good commercial awareness.
I hope this helps. Feel free to reach out if you have any more questions!

👩🎓

Premium Member
Oct 31, 2023
Hi, @Jessica Booker, an application question I am working on, states what has inspired you to pursue a training contract with us, and how would you contribute to the firm. How would you suggest answering this? Would you expect to see a separate paragraph on each or would you weave in how you would contribute, when answering what has inspired you to pursue a training contract here.

Also when answering how you would contribute, should you be focusing on skills here or is it more generally what can you bring to the role of a trainee?

Thank you

jmak

Star Member
May 12, 2024
Hi, @Jessica Booker, an application question I am working on, states what has inspired you to pursue a training contract with us, and how would you contribute to the firm. How would you suggest answering this? Would you expect to see a separate paragraph on each or would you weave in how you would contribute, when answering what has inspired you to pursue a training contract here.

Also when answering how you would contribute, should you be focusing on skills here or is it more generally what can you bring to the role of a trainee?

Thank you
I would focus on skills. That is literally the question just phrased differently

Reactions: 👩🎓

VMS

Distinguished Member
Oct 16, 2023
Has anyone still not heard from White and Case post app from the last cycle? (I applied for the LPC training contract if that changes anything 🫠)

I was the normal Training Contract route, but I heard back at the end of last week (PFO post-VI). So, I reckon you'll be hearing from them soon! You could always send them an email if they've not responded by the end of next week though, they were very nice and prompt when I sent one.

AlarmedBookkeeper448

Premium Member
  • Dec 18, 2019
    I was the normal Training Contract route, but I heard back at the end of last week (PFO post-VI). So, I reckon you'll be hearing from them soon! You could always send them an email if they've not responded by the end of next week though, they were very nice and prompt when I sent one.
    Thank you!
    I’ll give it until Wednesday and then I’ll send an email. I’m sorry about the PFO btw

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.