• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyering13

Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 5, 2024
    @Jessica Booker or anyone that’s done the SQE (particularly at BARBRI, but more generally is fine), I’m having a bit of a conundrum. I might be starting my SQE prep course in early July for an Sep 2025 start and I technically graduate from my degree in June. However, I am worried that I may need to resit an exam, which would be in August. Would I be ineligible to start my SQE prep as I have to resit one exam and subsequently my TC in September 2025? Slightly stressing!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker or anyone that’s done the SQE (particularly at BARBRI, but more generally is fine), I’m having a bit of a conundrum. I might be starting my SQE prep course in early July for an Sep 2025 start and I technically graduate from my degree in June. However, I am worried that I may need to resit an exam, which would be in August. Would I be ineligible to start my SQE prep as I have to resit one exam and subsequently my TC in September 2025? Slightly stressing!
    as the BARBRI course is not a masters level course, but just a prep course, I don’t think you’d need to have completed your degree before you start the prep course. But might be worthwhile checking with BARBRI just in case.

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    Hello!

I have a question about how to effectively answer the common interview question, "Tell us about a recent commercial story you found interesting." How do people structure their response? Do you use PESTLE/SWOT and then link it to the firm? I feel like there is so much to cover. Should I focus on a few key points and discuss them in detail or go through all of them in detail? How much time should I spend on this question during an interview?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just want to make sure I don't embarass myself!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello!

I have a question about how to effectively answer the common interview question, "Tell us about a recent commercial story you found interesting." How do people structure their response? Do you use PESTLE/SWOT and then link it to the firm? I feel like there is so much to cover. Should I focus on a few key points and discuss them in detail or go through all of them in detail? How much time should I spend on this question during an interview?

Sorry if this is a silly question, just want to make sure I don't embarass myself!!
    There is no need to link this to the firm unless the question explicitly ask you to.

PESTLE/SWOT are pretty in-depth analysis tools of something, and you will need a much more summarised answer. You can use PESTLE or SWOT to identify the aspects of the story, but you aren’t going to have enough time to cover everything within them and explain the context of the story.

Therefore, try to aim for 3-4 key messages about the story. What are the three thing you really think are the most interesting/relevant parts of the story that you want your interviewer to remember. Focus on covering them rather than describing everything.

The other part you need to cover clearly is why it interests you. This is actually the most interesting part to them - they basically want to find out why you chose that story over the 100s or 1000s of other stories you could have chosen.

CP2000

Star Member
    Mar 4, 2024
    There is no need to link this to the firm unless the question explicitly ask you to.

PESTLE/SWOT are pretty in-depth analysis tools of something, and you will need a much more summarised answer. You can use PESTLE or SWOT to identify the aspects of the story, but you aren’t going to have enough time to cover everything within them and explain the context of the story.

Therefore, try to aim for 3-4 key messages about the story. What are the three thing you really think are the most interesting/relevant parts of the story that you want your interviewer to remember. Focus on covering them rather than describing everything.

The other part you need to cover clearly is why it interests you. This is actually the most interesting part to them - they basically want to find out why you chose that story over the 100s or 1000s of other stories you could have chosen.
    Thank you, that's very helpful.

dw11cfc

• Dec 30, 2023
    Hi!

I am a non-law student in my final year about to start a vs after I finish undergraduate.

I have been thinking about ways to prepare for my VS and I was wondering whether TCLA offered any sort of mock research tasks we might be given on a VS, specifically related to using tools like LexisNexis or Practical Law? I know forage is good for general in-tray tasks, but getting to grips with how research tools would be used in a law firm is beyond its capacity. Do TCLA offer things like this, or could anyone point me in the direction of somewhere that does?

Also, if anyone has any tips on some other useful outside the box ways I could prepare that would be amazing.

Thank you very much.

Reactions: midnightsky990422

neonorange

Distinguished Member
    Feb 2, 2024
    Just a little vent, but how do you all deal with useless feedback from grad rec at firms? I had an AC recently that came to nothing, but the feedback call I had was almost frustrating in its uselessness.

The woman I spoke to told me the drafting exercise was "unique to [the firm]" so couldn't offer me any specific improvement tips, and that my performance in the group exercise was "an interesting one" without giving me specifics even when I pushed her. I was expecting the standard "here's what we liked, here's what you could improve on", but the way she presented the feedback to me made me was just so generic and so useless and made me feel like there weren't any positives to mention even though I thought it went well. Even with a few days of space and reflection I still feel frustrated (I know it's just because I care so much).

AC feedback is so valuable because it's the only time I think we get genuine insight into how it's possible to improve. I just feel a bit deflated and dejected when I got the equivalent of the sort of "feedback" some firms give in their PFO email, just in phone call form.

• Wow
    Reactions: AlexJ

PlscanIhaveaTC

Star Member
    Oct 1, 2020
    Just a little vent, but how do you all deal with useless feedback from grad rec at firms? I had an AC recently that came to nothing, but the feedback call I had was almost frustrating in its uselessness.

The woman I spoke to told me the drafting exercise was "unique to [the firm]" so couldn't offer me any specific improvement tips, and that my performance in the group exercise was "an interesting one" without giving me specifics even when I pushed her. I was expecting the standard "here's what we liked, here's what you could improve on", but the way she presented the feedback to me made me was just so generic and so useless and made me feel like there weren't any positives to mention even though I thought it went well. Even with a few days of space and reflection I still feel frustrated (I know it's just because I care so much).

AC feedback is so valuable because it's the only time I think we get genuine insight into how it's possible to improve. I just feel a bit deflated and dejected when I got the equivalent of the sort of "feedback" some firms give in their PFO email, just in phone call form.
    I can relate. My feedback after a failed vac scheme was that I needed more confidence and more experience within professional services as my background was predominantly retail. But otherwise I have “lots of potential”. It really made me feel like I was just there to tick a diversity box.

zara elles

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    I am waiting too not sure why others would be offered AC ‘s last month yet they wait so long to pfo those unsuccessful? They said they aim to get back to applicants by 24th of May so we will probably get it by next week.
    I just got an email saying they now intend to get back by 31st May. Not sure either why they are waiting so long when it’s surely a pfo at this point

cleojwilliams

Premium Member
    Jan 31, 2024
    I just got an email saying they now intend to get back by 31st May. Not sure either why they are waiting so long when it’s surely a pfo at this point
    Maybe everyone who applied gets individual feedback so even though it’s likely a pfo it’s still taking long. However, I think they should really send a blanket rejection email to put everyone out of their misery then just give the individual feedback at a later date.

zara elles

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    Maybe everyone who applied gets individual feedback so even though it’s likely a pfo it’s still taking long. However, I think they should really send a blanket rejection email to put everyone out of their misery then just give the individual feedback at a later date.
    I haven’t heard back since the initial application stage so I doubt they would be giving feedback for my application, i think firms only give feedback if you passed got to the interview stage.

I agree I think they should’ve just sent out the blanket rejection email but not sure if I’m being too hopeful in thinking there’s still a shot if they have not finalised everything yet

Reactions: PlscanIhaveaTC

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    I haven’t heard back since the initial application stage so I doubt they would be giving feedback for my application, i think firms only give feedback if you passed got to the interview stage.

I agree I think they should’ve just sent out the blanket rejection email but not sure if I’m being too hopeful in thinking there’s still a shot if they have not finalised everything yet
    I'm pretty certain Ashurst don't give individual feedback post-app. I'm feeling the same as you, cautiously optimistic when I had previously given up all hope? I'm thinking perhaps they haven't marked all the written ACs yet and they're waiting to see if people did well enough on them or not, and if they didn't then they might give out some more ACs? That's my current theory because I don't see why else they wouldn't reject us. Either that or something completely random has happened that couldn't have been foreseen like one of grad rec has had to go on sick leave or something and so there's been a delay in getting through applications and less capacity to oversee ACs

zara elles

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 24, 2020
    I'm pretty certain Ashurst don't give individual feedback post-app. I'm feeling the same as you, cautiously optimistic when I had previously given up all hope? I'm thinking perhaps they haven't marked all the written ACs yet and they're waiting to see if people did well enough on them or not, and if they didn't then they might give out some more ACs? That's my current theory because I don't see why else they wouldn't reject us. Either that or something completely random has happened that couldn't have been foreseen like one of grad rec has had to go on sick leave or something and so there's been a delay in getting through applications and less capacity to oversee ACs
    Exactly my thoughts which is why I’ve suddenly become slightly hopeful. However, the pessimist in me is also thinking that they have probably filled up their TC places from the ACs but legally cannot send out rejections unless they have reviewed the application. Which is why they are just needing the extra week for someone to skim over them before they reply

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.