• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys. I'm really lucky in that I've got two VS offers for early Summer, that unfortunately overlap. One of my parents suggested doing them at the same time, which seemed unhinged, but I was wondering whether anyone had done it?

I think conflict of interest would be a problem, as well as sanity, and getting the most out of each scheme. It seems like a terrible idea but the fact that my parent suggested it makes me wonder if I'm missing something.
Absolutely no chance of doing them at the same time - no offence to your parents, but this is an absolutely terrible idea.

Even if both schemes were virtual, you'd be found out pretty quickly. Even if one of them was in person, it would be spotted pretty much immediately.

CP2000

Star Member
Mar 4, 2024
Hi @Jessica Booker

I was fortunate enough to secure 3 vacation schemes this summer, but can only do 2 of them as they overlap.

Is it common for people to ask a firm to move a VS app to a direct TC app? This way, I could attend the standalone assessment center and still be considered for the TC.

Thanks in advance!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

I was fortunate enough to secure 3 vacation schemes this summer, but can only do 2 of them as they overlap.

Is it common for people to ask a firm to move a VS app to a direct TC app? This way, I could attend the standalone assessment center and still be considered for the TC.

Thanks in advance!!
Yes - very common. Some firms will be able to accommodate, others may not (especially as they know they are not your first choice). There is absolutely no harm is asking though.

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: Sharon Wu and CP2000

SirLancelot7777

Jan 19, 2024
@Jessica Booker Hi! I've signed a contract with firm A to do a VS, but my circumstances have changed a bit in that I've received a TC offer from firm B that expires, even with extension, before when I would hear back from firm A after firm A's VS regarding a TC offer from them. I'm quite tempted to go with my certain offer from B and withdraw from A's VS, but I'm wondering how this would work if I've already signed a contract for A's VS?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi! I've signed a contract with firm A to do a VS, but my circumstances have changed a bit in that I've received a TC offer from firm B that expires, even with extension, before when I would hear back from firm A after firm A's VS regarding a TC offer from them. I'm quite tempted to go with my certain offer from B and withdraw from A's VS, but I'm wondering how this would work if I've already signed a contract for A's VS?

Thanks!
You can renege a VS offer if you want to - there will not be any issues with doing so.

Do you definitely want to train with firm B rather than firm A?

SirLancelot7777

Jan 19, 2024
You can renege a VS offer if you want to - there will not be any issues with doing so.

Do you definitely want to train with firm B rather than firm A?
Thank you.

I know I want to start studying in January, rather than July (the two options firm B offers). B fills their trainee studying slots intake on a first-come-first-served basis, and starting earlier is far more popular (HR told us that they really struggle to fill later slots). A's VS finishes around the time that B's second VS finishes and they start sending out further TC offers. If I wait and sign for B after having done A's scheme, I'd be quite a bit more likely to have to start studying in July. This is because, should I finish A's VS and then choose B's TC offer, everyone from B's second scheme will also want to start earlier (January) rather than later (July), and the earlier slots in January will have been filled up. At the moment there are still January slots available.

I'm torn because though I loved firm B - had an amazing time there and on paper they outrank A on every metric (comp, secondments etc) - it's still the only VS I've done. I feel that after I sign, there are little employment benefits of having done more VSs (e.g. if I decide to leave B, I'll be assessed in interviews on my grasp of deals, technicals, competency etc., rather than how many VSs I completed three years ago), but I'm uncertain about this latter point, and don't know what other benefits there might be. What would you do?

SirLancelot7777

Jan 19, 2024
Thank you.

I know I want to start studying in January, rather than July (the two options firm B offers). B fills their trainee studying slots intake on a first-come-first-served basis, and starting earlier is far more popular (HR told us that they really struggle to fill later slots). A's VS finishes around the time that B's second VS finishes and they start sending out further TC offers. If I wait and sign for B after having done A's scheme, I'd be quite a bit more likely to have to start studying in July. This is because, should I finish A's VS and then choose B's TC offer, everyone from B's second scheme will also want to start earlier (January) rather than later (July), and the earlier slots in January will have been filled up. At the moment there are still January slots available.

I'm torn because though I loved firm B - had an amazing time there and on paper they outrank A on every metric (comp, secondments etc) - it's still the only VS I've done. I feel that after I sign, there are little employment benefits of having done more VSs (e.g. if I decide to leave B, I'll be assessed in interviews on my grasp of deals, technicals, competency etc., rather than how many VSs I completed three years ago), but I'm uncertain about this latter point, and don't know what other benefits there might be. What would you do?
Would a firm have an issue with me accepting a TC for another firm, before having started their VS?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would a firm have an issue with me accepting a TC for another firm, before having started their VS?
Potentially yes - some firms have terms in their offer documents saying you can’t proceed with the VS if you have accepted a TC. Not all firms have these though, but even those who don’t may not want to waste their efforts into a VS if someone is definitely going to join another firm. Most firms in that position would prefer you to renege their offer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you.

If there’s no chance of you accepting A’s VS over B’s, then I would renege on A’s offer at the earliest opportunity.

Reactions: Sharon Wu
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.