• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

lawyerdreams

Jul 25, 2024
What's the main reasons people go wrong in the app / VI / tests stages?

I only achieved 1 AC last cycle (granted it was my first). Looking to make significant progress this year so anyone who has any experience please chime in, and @Jessica Booker. Feeling completely frustrated at this point

I honestly think that, most of the time, its not a case of an applicant going "wrong" to get rejected at those stages, it just boils down to so many applicants and so few AC spaces. The calibre of candidates who progress to the second-stages (VIs, tests etc) will be high, and, therefore, grad rec will have to find some way to select people for an AC and I think the reasons for this are firm dependent, depending on what they emphasise (for ex. things like commercial awareness, conciseness of written answers, evidence of firm knowledge etc). So if you've reached an AC stage, congrats! Its a huge achievement.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Anyone knows how many vac schemers has K&L Gates retained this year? It's been a long time waiting and there is no point if the spaces are all filled up. It's my last application of last cycle as well, I need to start the new one
I’m not sure, but the email they sent this week said that they’re still reviewing applications and the process is ongoing. I don’t think they’d say that if they had filled spaces

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.