• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
Do you mind me asking what this is for? I applied for their Legal Assistant (Paralegal) role for the London office back in March, did some online test and then heard nothing for months. I emailed in June asking when they'd get back to me and they said they'll only review my app when there's an opening and will contact me then - but still haven't heard anything.
Yeah that.

I put more offices in though and mine is for Leeds.

hehostressed

Star Member
Jan 2, 2021
This happened to me and I did find it difficult. I'm sure you put a lot of work into both your job and your application so I know it can feel like a kick in the stomach! I would take some time to focus on something other than the thought of a TC, like a holiday etc - its can be a lot to go through mentally so some time for yourself can really help.

Once you've had a bit of a break, I would write down all the great things you achieved as an internal candidate to remind yourself that you are a fantastic candidate, and be specific - firms that you apply for in future will see this and it will boost your application. Make a few notes on the feedback you received and how you can work on it - I would recommend speaking to your supervisor to get their thoughts too. I would also start to pull together a list of firms that you can aim to apply for this year to give yourself a new focus, especially as its almost the start of the new cycle so its a perfect time for a fresh start.

Also - are you able to re-apply to the firm you are currently at? If you have the option but you don't feel like it right now, I would take some time to consider and speak to your supervisor, because in re-applying in the next cycle you can apply what you learnt from this time round and have a stronger chance.

It can feel like a punch to the gut being rejected as an internal candidate but remember its not personal and so often comes down to a numbers game - if you're already working for them then you are definitely worthy of getting a TC with a great firm wherever that may be.
Hey,

Thank you for responding back to me. I do feel quite low but I’ll start noting my achievements down (truthfully my job is quite niche and I don’t quite know what achievements there are). I’ll speak to my supervisor once she returns back from her holidays. I can apply to this firm, the applications open next year though like in March or April.

It’s just I don’t understand, there’s people straight from undergrad or those with minimal experience getting a TC and don’t misunderstand me, I’m genuinely ecstatic for them, but I’m wondering what’s wrong with me if I do have experience

mat123

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2024
Hey,

Thank you for responding back to me. I do feel quite low but I’ll start noting my achievements down (truthfully my job is quite niche and I don’t quite know what achievements there are). I’ll speak to my supervisor once she returns back from her holidays. I can apply to this firm, the applications open next year though like in March or April.

It’s just I don’t understand, there’s people straight from undergrad or those with minimal experience getting a TC and don’t misunderstand me, I’m genuinely ecstatic for them, but I’m wondering what’s wrong with me if I do have experience

Definitely speak to your supervisor and get her advice. You can go through your feedback together and figure out what you can work on for next time. Also even if your job is niche as you say, I'm sure there are plenty of interesting skills that you've gained and that you just need to extract and explain persuasively during your next application/interview. Hopefully your supervisor can help you with this.

It can be the case that firm's judge candidates by how they perform on the day, rather than taking account for the work that they've done as a paralegal at the firm. It may just be that the candidates who got it just did a bit better in the assessment tasks and interview on the day. So I would definitely consider your feedback and identify what you can do to prepare for next time. It's also worth understanding at what stages and how they take into account your experience at the firm, if at all, during the application process. Having gone through an application cycle with the firm and being an employee there, you're in a great position to build your skills and application for next time you apply! Nothing wrong with you, now you just have the opportunity to try again with more impact. You can also start planning where else you can apply before March/April - this increases your options and is good application/interview practice in any case!

I completely get the low feeling so definitely take some time to focus on other things. Trust me you will feel better, you just need to wait for some time to pass.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.