• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2024-5

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

With a new recruitment cycle starting in the next few weeks, we thought it best to start a new master thread to discuss direct training contract applications for the 2024-2025 application cycle.

You can find the 2023-24 cycle thread here.

Best of luck to everyone for this upcoming cycle

Thanks,

Jess

A worried graduate

Legendary Member
Mar 25, 2024
In classic “A worried graduate” style, I might be getting an AC for an in-house SQE TC.

Unfortunately, this has come a few days after I have booked the flights for a family holiday and even gave notice to my part-time job.

I still haven’t had the exact date and had been waiting to hear since April (they told me I would have a telephone interview and then skipped this step in May to an AC) with little information or updates until a few hours ago.

How sympathetic are firms to these sorts of situations and if I hassled them enough would they give more details so that I could find some sort of arrangement.

No hotel/accomodation has been booked and the plan was to go for around 3-4 weeks with the AC date working out around 10 days in and the flights were pretty cheap thankfully.

They are also yet to guarantee that I will even be invited to the assessment centre which makes things particularly difficult.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hey guys does anyone know if the Trowers online assessment is automatic post application? The invite email says it’s the next stage of the process and it’s always been selective but people are saying it’s automatic this year. Anyone have any idea? Pretty crazy if it’s automatic as the stage right after it is the AC.

Reactions: Marissa and 19.mfjones

HarmonyN

Star Member
Sep 6, 2022
Hey guys does anyone know if the Trowers online assessment is automatic post application? The invite email says it’s the next stage of the process and it’s always been selective but people are saying it’s automatic this year. Anyone have any idea? Pretty crazy if it’s automatic as the stage right after it is the AC.
Probably automated, I got the test less than 24hours after applying 🤷🏽‍♀️.

Szofi66

Esteemed Member
Oct 22, 2023
Does anyone know when winter vacation usually starts at the University of Law (conversion course, 50 weeks, full time)? Admissions said that we'll get the official timetable a couple of weeks before course start date, but would be good to know as soon as possible for winter vac scheme apps

19.mfjones

Distinguished Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    Does anyone know when winter vacation usually starts at the University of Law (conversion course, 50 weeks, full time)? Admissions said that we'll get the official timetable a couple of weeks before course start date, but would be good to know as soon as possible for winter vac scheme apps
    When you use ulaw website to look at your couse (as a prospective student), if you scroll down there's a section called something like course dates or timetable. You should be able to download it from there and it says about every holiday you'll receive during your course.

Amjaya

Star Member
    Sep 24, 2023
    Hi all,

I wanted to ask what this means. I recently got in touch with Hogan Lovells regarding their benchmark for Watson Glaser. I was told this is in the 38% percentile. Isn’t this quite a low score?? What does this mean?

Thank you all and best of luck with your applications ❤️

Reactions: SamiyaJ

desperateTCseeker1998

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    Hi all,

I wanted to ask what this means. I recently got in touch with Hogan Lovells regarding their benchmark for Watson Glaser. I was told this is in the 38% percentile. Isn’t this quite a low score?? What does this mean?

Thank you all and best of luck with your applications ❤️
    I would assume it means they don’t give much weight to the test and base most of the decision off the application but who knows

WhiskeyCharlie

Standard Member
    Jan 3, 2023

The invite for both this year and last year said "next stage of the process".

According to Grad Rec, they are not rolling and review every application. During the 2023 cycle, they did not send out MMAT invites until 3 weeks after the deadline. This year, 2024 cycle, the MMAT invites were sent out the day after (deadline 8 Jan, MMAT invite 9 Jan). I submitted my app 7 Jan.

In 2023 = filtered MMAT, invite to AC depending on MMAT score, current and existing trainees mentioned the cutoff for an AC invite to be 40/50. 40/50 was also confirmed to be cutoff post AC feedback directly by grad rec.

Keep in mind, they have new grad rec this year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.