• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Anyone have any tips on key areas to discuss for Freshfields personal statement. Am thinking of focusing on (1) cross-border expertise with focus on success in US market, (2) cross-functionality of corporate and litigation practices, and (3) uniqueness of training programme?
Hi @DulyDiligent! Just to add to @Ram Sabaratnam's great response, I think (1) and (3) are great, especially if you provide further analysis like Ram suggested. I think (2) can work as well, but you will have to be careful as to how you draft this as a USP, because there are other firms who arguably have this cross-functionality as well.

Regarding tips as to what else you could include, I would discuss Freshfields' leading corporate M&A credentials. In 2023 Freshfields was ranked above all the other magic circle firms in terms of both average deal value and total deal value. It is also arguably the leading firm for European M&A, topping most of the deal rankings.

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Two birds, one stone, one disillusioned and disheartened vac scheme applicant.

Brief update on my app cycle experience so far.

Rejected by those Two Birds from London today. Weren't a big fan of my chat evidently. Perhaps I was punching a bit much considering I didn't meet their "standards" (ABB instead of AAB).

Tried to set up a date with a bobby (CPS Paralegal Officer) also rejected me. In the meeting stage, I tend to get nervous and waffle, which I guess turned them off. Their friend (Paralegal assistant) seems quite nice, however. I'm sure we could have a nice time.

Banter aside, pretty disappointed by the CPS outcome. I'd drop all of my Commercial law apps for a public law position. It's so jarring because NONE of the services allow non-law grads w/o the PGDL to apply. It makes no sense why they are so behind the market. Every commercial firm accepts non-law students w/o PGDL and only requires that they complete the SQE (which they fund!) This means unless I self-fund, I can't apply for the direct trainee scheme. Arguably not beneficial for socially mobile backgrounds - I'm black and from a low socio-economic household.

A wise man once said, "I know you're sad, but listen...Two birds, one sky, just forget it"

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Anyone heard anything from Cleary and Hogan Lovells post-WG WVS, Slaughter's TC, JD SVS? Also, if W&C has yet to send a VI and people have completed them and received invitation to AC, should I assume PFO?

You know you’ve been on here too long when you understand all the acronymish😭
Imagine reading this as someone with no interest in commercial law, its literally gibberish ahahah.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.