• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

KBanana

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2023
@lawyersum

Hi, it doesn't seem like anyone else has replied to this :(

As someone who has a pretty high success rate with SJTs (let's hope I don't jinx), this is what I do:

- Do not answer honestly. This is the worst piece of guidance you could follow. SJTs are meant to be hard, you are meant to think about your answer in relation to the competencies and values of the firm you are applying to. This requires strategy, critical thinking and application. Thankfully, most situational judgement tests are untimed, so you have the time to really sit and think about the best option. If you really care about the firm, you will put in the effort.

- Following from above, there have often been times where I have personally disagreed with the answer I have given, but am confident that it is exactly what the firm is looking for having matched the options against the firm's competencies. My second tip is to have these values / competencies written out for you to easily refer to throughout the test, as well as the definitions. Knowing what each competency / value actually means is so important. For example, there is a difference between being a collaborator and being a team player. Search up each of the terms, write a definition and even ask chat gpt how to demonstrate the competency. This will help you to distinguish between the nuances of each competency / value so that you are choosing the best suited option (may also help when determining whether an extreme option is appropriate).

- Lastly, act on feedback. For example, I bombed the SJT of the first firm that I applied to. The next year, I read through the feedback report, identified the exact areas I needed to work on and used them as guidance for this years application, where I scored much higher on every single category.

SJTs are something that you need to prepare well for and be smart about. Of course what works for me may not work for you, but hopefully this helps😊
I really appreciate your response and especially find your second tip about writing out the definitions/ asking chat for examples useful. I will definitely implement this in my approach from now on. Thank you very much!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.