• Hey Guest, leading international law firm BCLP is live right now in the forum! This is a perfect opportunity to ask any questions you have to the recruitment team. Ask a question here!

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Hi @Aspiringsolicitor01! I do not think there is on because AC interview questions are a lot more expansive than VI questions. Since VI questions tend to be more formulaic and predictable, a question bank for AC questions will likely automatically include most questions you can expect in a VI.

From my own and others' experience, VI questions tend to fit into one of the following categories:
  • The classics: Why you, Why the firm, Why commercial law - these almost always feature in one form or another.
  • Further motivational questions: Why did you initially decide to study law, What other careers did you consider, What do you like and dislike about different types of work, what practice areas/sectors are you interested in etc.
  • Competency questions: Tell me about a time you demonstrated teamwork skills/time-management/innovation/creative thinking/integrity etc.
  • Situational judgement questions: What would you do in X scenario (eg. you have multiple competing deadline and you feel your work product will suffer as a result)
  • General commercial awareness question: tell us about a news story you have been following and what are its impacts on the economy/the legal market/the firm/the firm's clients, what is a business you admire, who are the firm's competitors and how do you distinguish it? why do the firm's clients keep coming back?
Besides variations of these types of questions, the only other type of question you should prepare for is potential curveballs. However, you can't really predict a curveball, so the only thing you can do it to try to train yourself to think quickly and be flexible in how you leverage your experience. For that purpose, I think you can use the AC interview question bank.
Thanks. It’s the situational judgement questions I struggle with. I’m good with the multiple choice questions and online tests generally on this, but when it comes to video interviews that’s a whole different thing.

I’ll just Google/chatgpt the situational questions on on the document for inspiration and go from there.

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Thanks. It’s the situational judgement questions I struggle with. I’m good with the multiple choice questions and online tests generally on this, but when it comes to video interviews that’s a whole different thing.

I’ll just Google/chatgpt the situational questions on on the document for inspiration and go from there.
That's not a bad idea for an initial start, but as you progress with your preparation I would try to personalize it further. If you can make connections to and reference any similar situations you've dealt with in the past, that will make your answer a lot more persuasive.

Reactions: Aspiringsolicitor01

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Got a an AC for White & Case. Any tips would be appreciated!
Hey @B101 and first of all huge congratulations, this is an amazing achievement 🥳! I don't have any W&C specific tips, but I thought it might be useful to quote here a post I made about my interview preparation method:
Hi there! My interview preparation approach, which led to a VS offer 4/4 times I implemented it, was essentially split in four phases:

Step 1 - Preparing ideas for answers

The first and most difficult step in preparing for interviews is learning how to respond to a wide variety of questions. Of course, you cannot prepare beforehand for all potential variations of all potential interview questions. Furthermore, you do not want to learn answers by heart and then just repeat them in front of the interviewers - they are likely to sound robotic. However, by investing a substantial amount of time thinking about how you would go about answering to as many different questions as possible, you start learning how to describe your motivations and experiences in a flexible manner. This decreases the chances that you will not be caught off-guard by any given question. It also increases the chances that, even if you have not prepared for a question you are being asked, you will find a somewhat sensible answer to it.

The first thing I would do when invited to an AC/interview (and for a video interview, but not in the same level of detail) would be to try to build a question bank to practice on. I would create a Word doc with a few big headings (like 'CV based/competency questions'; 'motivations/firm-specific questions', 'commercial awareness questions', situational judgement questions' etc) and firstly write down all the questions I could think of under each relevant heading. I would then look at my CV, and find try to think how I could leverage my experience to answer those questions. Finally, I would write 2-3 short bullet points under each questions to explain how I would answer it - I have found this helps with memorizing the ideas for your answers. Thus enabled me to both have the ideas ready to go in my mind for a high number of questions and to be able to go through the though process of formulating the answer in the actual interview. It is also worth mentioning that at this step I would prepare particularly well for the questions I thought were very likely to come up (such as Why the firm, Why me etc).

The second stage involved searching for interview question banks on the internet - such as the one offered by TCLA here. While reading them, I would spend around 30 seconds on each question thinking of potential ways of answering them. I would then copy the questions I was having particular difficulty with and add them under the relevant heading in my word document. After finalizing this process, I would once again look at my CV and spend a longer amount of time thinking how to best answer each of them. Then, I would note down my ideas in short bullet points.

The final stage was similar to the second, with the only difference being that I would search directly for examples of past questions asked by the firm I was interviewing at - resources that were useful were this TCLA forum and Glassdoor.

Step 2 - Practicing articulating your answers

Once I had found the right ideas as to how to answer most interview questions, the second step of preparation involved improving my ability to articulate them. Despite the initial awkwardness of this method, I have found it incredibly useful to simply turn my laptop's camera on, pick one question at random, give myself a few seconds to think, and then record my answer. Subsequently, I would watch the recording with as critical an attitude as possible to see the parts I was struggling with the most. Then I would repeat this process again and again until I was happy with the way I was answering any given question.

A point worth noting is that as I was deciding at random which question to respond to, I would try to tweak the specific phrasing of the question in my mind. Thus, instead of just learning how to answer 'Why do you want to pursue a career in commercial law?', I would learn to answer many variations of the same type of question, such as 'How did your interest in commercial law originate?', 'Why commercial law rather than another area of the law?', 'Why do you want to be a commercial solicitor rather than a commercial barrister?' and so on. Once again, by following this approach, I would learn how to be flexible in formulating my ideas to best suit the exact question the interviewer would be asking me.

Step 3 - Mock interviews

Especially for any AC/final stage interviews, mock interviews are a really useful preparation tool. After you have improved yourself as much as you could by firstly preparing your best ideas for answers, and then preparing the best way to articulate them, you would now be in the best position to further improve both your ideas and your capacity to communicate them by getting feedback from others. Hence, if you can find someone with VS/TC interview experience (or even just experience with commercial law/interviews in general), it would be really helpful to get them to do a mock interview for you. Moreover, getting more familiar with the 'interview experience' beforehand contributes a lot to your ability to calm your nerves and do your best on the big day. As such, I would advise you to reach out to people who could help you with this, even if they are not part of your immediate circle. You will be surprised how many people will be willing to help you out!

Step 4 - Getting into the right mindset

Finally, although this may sound a bit cliche, try to go into the interview with a positive attitude. Remind yourself that just by reaching this stage, you have demonstrated to be an exceptionally competitive candidate. Acknowledge the fact that since the firm chose to meet you out of so many other applicants, it means you have everything you need to succeed - whether that means success with this particular firm or another. Finally, although I appreciate how hard it may be, try to not put an excessive amount of pressure on yourself. Meditate on your journey and how far you've come and accept that as long as you do your best, you will have nothing to blame yourself for. Going through these thought processes the night and morning before the interviews helped me a lot with reducing my anxiety and my ability to show enthusiasm in my attitude.

I hope this is useful :) and best of luck with your future interviews!

MayaM0921

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hi @Andrei Radu! Your tips on the forum have been super useful! I was wondering whether you could share some advice about asking the "Why me" question? How would you structure the answer? My issue is that, in a VI or interview situation, I don't know what competency questions will be asked later. How would I avoid picking qualities / using examples that I might use later in the interview? Thank you!

Reactions: Andrei Radu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone, on AG's application its states solicitor apprenticeship/training contract/graduate solicitor apprenticeship. How will the firm know which vacancy you're applying for exactly?
That will be on the basis of your qualifications you have I suspect.

Reactions: Brandon93

bangarangbass39

Legendary Member
Sep 13, 2023
Could I ask please - my understanding is that the AG test is automatic, but how long do we have to complete it?

Also, is it a WG test?
AG test isn't automatic. At least it wasn't last year. If it has changed then I am in fact wrong. In regards to how long you have, the email says until the Jan 5th deadline. However, it is strongly recommended to complete this as soon as you feel possible to do so.

I applied for the Direct TC last cycle and they held on my app (pre test), transferring it to this current cycle. So I can only advise you to complete it as early as you can. I plan to complete it before the end of this month as I don't want to spend too much time on prepping.

Apple

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
Hi guys, I need to provide academic certificates/transcripts as proof of qualifications prior to my AC. Do they usually accept "candidate statement of marks" instead of the official certificates?

Last edited:

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi @Andrei Radu! Your tips on the forum have been super useful! I was wondering whether you could share some advice about asking the "Why me" question? How would you structure the answer? My issue is that, in a VI or interview situation, I don't know what competency questions will be asked later. How would I avoid picking qualities / using examples that I might use later in the interview? Thank you!
Hi @MayaM0921 and thanks for the kind words :)! To firstly deal with the structure of the 'Why you?' answer, I think what you want is something like this:
  1. Give a high level summary of what your answer will be, something like 'There are three reasons why you should offer me a place: my critical thinking skills, my organizational skills, and my teamwork abilities, all of which are essential for a trainee solicitor'.
  2. Take the first skill/ability/attribute that you mentioned, and explain to the firm how an experience or achievement of yours demonstrates it. Use the STAR structure when walking the interviewer through the experience.
  3. Explain how the skill/ability/attribute is relevant for the job of a trainee solicitor.
  4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other skills/abilities/attributes.
  5. Conclude by once again giving a short summary of what your answer has been, something like 'So, to conclude, my experiences demonstrate I possess excellent critical thinking, organizational and teamwork skills, and this makes me an ideal fit for the job'.
As for the second part of your question (regarding what skills/examples to pick) I think you have to be strategic in balancing both trying to have the most convincing possible 'why me' answer and in not boxing yourself in a position where you will be forced to repeat yourself. My strategy was to first come up with the best possible answer I could for the 'Why the firm' question, then the best possible answer for the 'Why the firm' question, then the best possible answer to the 'Why commercial law', and only then draft my 'Why you?' answer. This was because I found that only a few of my experiences and achievements, could be connected to firm USPs, slightly more could be connected to my why commercial reasoning, but a lot of them could be used for showcasing a relevant skill or attribute.

Beyond that, in drafting my 'Why you' answer I would just use the most impressive leftover experiences, and maybe reference one or two of the experiences in the 'Why commercial law' or 'Why firm' answers if particularly impressive. While you could still be asked a competency question in the interview that forces you to be repetitive, there's no way to eliminate that risk, as there's no way of predicting what competency you will be asked about. However, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Firstly, the interviewers know candidates will not have an unlimited list of experiences to leverage, and will definitely not mind repeating one if you also consider it and discuss it from a different angle. Secondly, while this was something I worried about a lot before my interviews (as at least compared to some of my peers, my CV was not as full) in practice it was not a situation I often found myself in. If anything, the opposite happened more, in that I would not get to speak about more than 2-3 experiences and sometimes I would finish the interview without having mentioned some of my most impressive achievements.

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi guys, I need to provide academic certificates/transcripts as proof of qualifications prior to my AC. Do they usually accept "candidate statement of marks" instead of the official certificates?
@Jessica Booker will be able to tell you more about this, but in my case firms accepted an email from my university as proof of the results, so I don't think it's unlikely they will accept your statement as well.

Reactions: Apple

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If it is clearly on university documents/letterhead then it’s likely to be accepted as an alternative. They will advise if they need something else though.

• 🤝
Reactions: Apple

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
what are the best ways of researching distinctions between firms? band rankings are fairly surface level - I can’t seem to find much specific info on a firm’s website/other internet searches on where a firm may particularly excel
Hi @tarty23! I think this depends on the practice area in question, but my main sources for in-depth research would be:
  • The general legal press: The Lawyer (I found it particularly useful), Law.com, Legal Business, The Global Legal Post, Bloomberg Law, Vault etc. My method would be to just type in the name of the firm in the publication's search bar and then skim/read all the articles that came up. You can also add filters with key words such as the name of the practice area. You will find many interesting analyses comparing the features and relative strengths of firms' practices. However, some of these resources are only available with a subscription. Make sure to check if your university/workplace has a subscription, as in my case it did.
  • Practice area/industry-specific publications and organizations: you will find organizations publishing statistics and articles on law firm's performances. This is highly-depended on the practice area and sectors you are researching, but for instance in the M&A context Mergermarket and LSE publishes data as to deal volume and deal value of firms worldwide and in different regions.
  • Awards: you can also assess the firm's practice area further by seeing what awards relating to it they have recently won - if they do better than other firms in a similar band ranking, you could infer from a superior quality from that.
  • Lateral moves and notable practitioners: by searching on google/legal publications you can analyze the practice area more in depth by looking at any notable recent hires or recent losses. Also, take a look at their leading individual practitioners, as some will also have individual chambers rankings and profile. For instance, by knowing that Paul, Weiss managed to hire Neel Sachdev (who many commentators think is the best leverage finance lawyer in the City), you can infer they will have superior expertise to other leverage finance practices.
  • Firm interactions: One of the best ways of learning more about a firm's practice area in the context of its competitors is by discussing this topic with a more senior lawyer in that practice area at the firm. They will know a lot more about it and this could save you a lot of research time.
Besides this, I thought it may be useful for you to read a recent post in which I discussed what to look for when researching a practice area in detail and an example of me having done so:
However, I will add that although general reputation/market recognition is an important feature in assessing a firm's practice area, it does not necessarily tell the full story. Other aspects you may consider include: what is the size of the practice area within the firm, and how important of a revenue generator is it? how many practitioners and partners does it have, and does it punch above its weight in terms of impact when compared to the sizes of similarly ranked firms? what is the history of the practice area within the firm - has it seen a lot of recent growth, or has it always been a core part of the firm's practice? and what are the firm's plans in the future for it? does the firm have a very strong reputation only in the UK, or also in other important jurisdictions and globally? are there any specific features of the practice's client base as compared to that of its rivals'? are there any particular sectors that the practice has particular expertise in? how is the practice areas subdivided between different teams? are there any specific high-end mandates that the firm has recently won - and what might you infer from that regarding the market position of the firm's practice area as compared to that of its rivals'? are there any more specific awards and recognitions for the relevant practice area, besides the usual Chambers/Legal 500 rankings? when taken together with other strong practice areas of the firm, are there significant cross-selling opportunities? When you start researching all of these questions, you will find that although initially two practices might have looked very similar because they had the same Chambers band ranking, they have many features that can differentiate them. Once you identify those, you can consider why those more specific features could be of benefit you/be of interest. This way, you can eventually end up with a truly unique practice-area based USP.

To give you a more concrete example - when I was applying to Davis Polk, I saw they had a band 5 Chambers UK corporate M&A ranking. Initially, I thought it would be difficult to write a persuasive USP based on that, as there were other firms with higher corporate M&A Chambers UK rankings. However, upon further research, I found out that (i) Davis Polk had s significantly smaller corporate M&A practice than any of the other ranked firms - with less than 1/3 of the total number of practitioners than similarly ranked firms; (ii) Davis Polk was ranked as the most efficient corporate practice in the UK, with the highest Revenue Per Lawyer (RPL) and Revenue Per Partner (RPP) of any firm; (iii) Davis Polk globally had the highest average corporate deal value of any firm - suggesting a low volume/high value model; (iv) Davis Polk had won various corporate/PE deal of the year or team of the year awards. When taking all these factors together, it was easy to think of an USP in terms of Davis Polk a small but extremely high quality practice, which I could then connect to my motivations to be a become a great corporate lawyer and to work in small teams.

tarty23

Standard Member
Oct 10, 2024
Hi @tarty23! I think this depends on the practice area in question, but my main sources for in-depth research would be:
  • The general legal press: The Lawyer (I found it particularly useful), Law.com, Legal Business, The Global Legal Post, Bloomberg Law, Vault etc. My method would be to just type in the name of the firm in the publication's search bar and then skim/read all the articles that came up. You can also add filters with key words such as the name of the practice area. You will find many interesting analyses comparing the features and relative strengths of firms' practices. However, some of these resources are only available with a subscription. Make sure to check if your university/workplace has a subscription, as in my case it did.
  • Practice area/industry-specific publications and organizations: you will find organizations publishing statistics and articles on law firm's performances. This is highly-depended on the practice area and sectors you are researching, but for instance in the M&A context Mergermarket and LSE publishes data as to deal volume and deal value of firms worldwide and in different regions.
  • Awards: you can also assess the firm's practice area further by seeing what awards relating to it they have recently won - if they do better than other firms in a similar band ranking, you could infer from a superior quality from that.
  • Lateral moves and notable practitioners: by searching on google/legal publications you can analyze the practice area more in depth by looking at any notable recent hires or recent losses. Also, take a look at their leading individual practitioners, as some will also have individual chambers rankings and profile. For instance, by knowing that Paul, Weiss managed to hire Neel Sachdev (who many commentators think is the best leverage finance lawyer in the City), you can infer they will have superior expertise to other leverage finance practices.
  • Firm interactions: One of the best ways of learning more about a firm's practice area in the context of its competitors is by discussing this topic with a more senior lawyer in that practice area at the firm. They will know a lot more about it and this could save you a lot of research time.
Besides this, I thought it may be useful for you to read a recent post in which I discussed what to look for when researching a practice area in detail and an example of me having done so:
thank you!

future trainee but current legend

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.