Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Help please! (Not sure what decision to make) @Jessica Booker @Andrei Radu

My main goal is to secure a TC at a top law firm.

I recently graduated from my LLM, and my plan for this year was to secure a short-term paralegal position whilst applying for VSs/TCs. (I wanted a short term role so that I could attend VSs without any issues).

Today I received an email from a recruiter who read my CV for a paralegal position at a top US law firm (where I am also applying for a VS). They want to discuss the role over a call, and the job description they provided states that I need to be free for at least 12 months to be considered. If I am successful with this paralegal role, I am not sure how I will be able to attend any VSs (if I secure any)... Most of the law firms I am interested in training with recruit trainees exclusively through their VSs. Should I go ahead with this call?

I am also worried that if I do not proceed with the call, the recruitment agency will not consider me for any future opportunities, and that I may not be given an opportunity like this again given that I have 0 paralegal work experience. I am scared I might end up in the worst case scenario: no VS/TC offers and no paralegal position offers.

Additionally, I thought it would be important to add that the job description sent to me by the recruiter states that the paralegal role should not be viewed as a route to a TC at the firm but that the firm is happy to accept candidates actively (and openly) seeking TCs elsewhere and will proactively offer coaching and assistance in application drafting and interview techniques.

I would really appreciate any insight on this - thank you!
Hey @KBanana, I also agree with @Jessica Booker's advice that you should take the call. Even if you can't negotiate any flexibility around being available for the next 12 months, you will still be able to take leave for at lest 21 days, which should be enough to complete 1/2 vacation schemes at other firms. Moreover, while the firm states that the paralegal role should not be viewed as route to the TC, I imagine that if you do a particularly good job, it is more likely that it would lead to a VS placement with them rather than an independent application.

Reactions: KBanana

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
I agree with @Jessica Booker's advice. The only situation when I would consider addressing the why commercial law element is if the question is formulated more broadly like 'Why do you want to be commercial solicitor at our firm?' and there is no independent 'Why law' section in the application form.

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Perhaps a silly question, but if lawyers are involved in advising a client and the client ends up settling without going to court, is it properly called a "case"? or is "deal" better
I would just say advised on the 'dispute' between X and Y or on the 'settlement' of X and Y. I don't think this would qualify as a case if there were no court proceedings involved and the term 'deal' is closely associated with transactional mandates.

Reactions: Bread

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Hi, could use with some advice in terms of grades for a non-law graduate. To sum up - I'm a STEM oxbridge grad applying for Open Days/ VS etc. Graduated with 2.1 overall (integrated masters) but quite a few of my module grades in my second year and finals are in the 2.2s and one is quite bad - 31 percent (thought still technically a pass). The rest of my timed exams are low 2.1s but my non-timed modules e.g. my masters project are much better - high firsts (hence why I managed to get the 2.1 overall). Just wondering how much this may disadvantage me for city law firms? thanks for your help
Hi @lawadvice_23, I think you should not worry to much. As @fingersarecrossed said, the fact that you went to Oxbridge and got an overall 2.1 means most firms will not care too much about some of your lower individual module grades. Maybe just keep an eye out for the few firms that are known to place a lot of emphasis on grades (some will say they expect a 'high/strong 2.1' on their careers websites) and ensure you are not prioritizing those excessively. Otherwise, I think you should just focus on writing as many good applications as you can without being concerned about this.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Perhaps a silly question, but if lawyers are involved in advising a client and the client ends up settling without going to court, is it properly called a "case"? or is "deal" better
Matter is a broader term that would cover this, or as @Andrei Radu has suggested dispute would work as it is not a case until it goes to court.

Reactions: Bread

Tsitsipas10S

Aug 29, 2024
I have received an invite to AC with NRF. They've asked for my A-level certificates before the assessment day, but I received them in 2016, and cannot locate them.

In terms of next steps, should I just explain that I can contact the exam boards but will need more time to receive the certificates while sending over my uni transcripts?

m12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
I have received an invite to AC with NRF. They've asked for my A-level certificates before the assessment day, but I received them in 2016, and cannot locate them.

In terms of next steps, should I just explain that I can contact the exam boards but will need more time to receive the certificates while sending over my uni transcripts?
Hi! Massive congrats :) when did you do your arctic shores? And had the firm communicated with you in between at all? Thanks

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Holding myself accountable (two more rejections):

CC* ✅📝
HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Weil ✅
Akin ✅
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Cooley
Latham
Milbank ✅
Kirkland ✅
Skadden
Goodwin ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅❌
Gibson Dunn
Macfarlanes* ✅📝
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
Cleary Gottlieb ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝❌
Vinson & Elkins
King & Spalding* ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

I only do well without tests. SJTs I'm OK at nowadays though. I just don't like Watson Glasers. Still, if a firm isn't actually reviewing your application, do you really want to work there? That's how I justify not passing the Watson Glaser anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Do you have any formal documents from your school (eg an email or letter) that confirmed your grades? If so, you could also include something like this while you get the exam board to replace your certificates.

m12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 26, 2023
@Jessica Booker hi Jessica! how much do law firms value a high2.1 - in the event I’ve got very strong a levels & gcses (straight A*) and an overall higher end 2.1 around 66/67 from a Russell group uni but I’ve got a few 2.2s from 1st year and lower end 2.1 for 2nd year - Does this put me at a disadvantage if my uni grades aren’t as strong despite my a-levels, however I showed consistent improvement?

ashwright

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Jul 10, 2023
    Holding myself accountable (two more rejections):

CC* ✅📝
    HSF ✅📝❌
    NRF ✅📝❌
    Weil ✅
    Akin ✅
    Sidley ✅
    Willkie ✅🎥
    Cooley
    Latham
    Milbank ✅
    Kirkland ✅
    Skadden
    Goodwin ✅
    Covington ✅
    Linklaters* ✅📝
    Paul, Weiss ✅
    Slaughters* ✅❌
    Gibson Dunn
    Macfarlanes* ✅📝
    White & Case ✅
    Hogan Lovells* ✅
    Cleary Gottlieb ✅
    A&O Shearman ✅📝❌
    Vinson & Elkins
    King & Spalding* ✅

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications

I only do well without tests. SJTs I'm OK at nowadays though. I just don't like Watson Glasers. Still, if a firm isn't actually reviewing your application, do you really want to work there? That's how I justify not passing the Watson Glaser anyway.
    You’re super organised - you should be proud!!! I’m not a fan of WGs either - I like your justification :p
    If I may, could I check when you heard back from A&O Shearman & when you did your SJT/sent your app? Thank you 🙏🏼

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.