TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
Quick question , hope someone can help x . So basically , I applied for a winter vac scheme at a firm and they are pleased to progress me to the next stage . However , the spaces for the winter vac scheme interviews and assessment centers are full as the application process has been rolling , and they offered to push me onto the spring or summer scheme . But I start my graduate job ( not in law) in January and we are advised not to take annual leave in the first 3-6 months ( which would be 10 whole days!) . They gave me 2 options , to either transfer the application to the spring/summer scheme or close my application. I really really like the firm but don't know what to do . Should I beg ( obviously exaggerating lol) for the winter and honestly explain that i cant do summer or spring OR should I still progress to the next stage ( knowing I cant attend) or should I just call it a day . Thanks !! Sorry its kinda long ...
So as @Jessica Booker suggested, you can try doing the summer scheme as your employer might be fine with you taking leave at that point. If for some reason you do not think this will be possible, I would try to get the firm's graduate recruitment team and explain the situation. They may be able to either be flexible and assess you for the winter scheme, or potentially assess you for a TC contract directly. I would advise you not to tell them that you 100% can't make it to the summer scheme, but just that it may be very difficult for you to do so. Should the answer still be no, you should still have a choice to make on whether to attend the TC or not.

If you choose to attend and they decide to make you a VS offer, this could still lead to a number of positive outcomes for you:
  • You might impress the partners at the interview to such an extent that they will tell the graduate recruitment team to either accommodate you on the winter scheme or to arrange a direct TC assessment.
  • You could do a good job for your current employer over the next few months and form a good enough relationship that you are able to convince them to give you leave for the summer vacation scheme.
  • Even if neither works, the firm could still shortlist you for a direct AC assessment for vacation schemes in the next application cycle.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Does anybody know any good resources/websites to practice legal situational judgment scenarios? A lot of resources I am finding are not in a legal environment...I know you can't really predict the answers to these types of questions as it is dependent on the firm's values, but I am quite useless on SJTs and would like some practice.

KBanana

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2023
Help please! (Not sure what decision to make) @Jessica Booker @Andrei Radu

My main goal is to secure a TC at a top law firm.

I recently graduated from my LLM, and my plan for this year was to secure a short-term paralegal position whilst applying for VSs/TCs. (I wanted a short term role so that I could attend VSs without any issues).

Today I received an email from a recruiter who read my CV for a paralegal position at a top US law firm (where I am also applying for a VS). They want to discuss the role over a call, and the job description they provided states that I need to be free for at least 12 months to be considered. If I am successful with this paralegal role, I am not sure how I will be able to attend any VSs (if I secure any)... Most of the law firms I am interested in training with recruit trainees exclusively through their VSs. Should I go ahead with this call?

I am also worried that if I do not proceed with the call, the recruitment agency will not consider me for any future opportunities, and that I may not be given an opportunity like this again given that I have 0 paralegal work experience. I am scared I might end up in the worst case scenario: no VS/TC offers and no paralegal position offers.

Additionally, I thought it would be important to add that the job description sent to me by the recruiter states that the paralegal role should not be viewed as a route to a TC at the firm but that the firm is happy to accept candidates actively (and openly) seeking TCs elsewhere and will proactively offer coaching and assistance in application drafting and interview techniques.

I would really appreciate any insight on this - thank you!

Andrei Radu

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 9, 2024
if an open day accepted you, but u haven't heard back from a rolling vac scheme app u submitted, what does it mean? esp when people who applied before/after you have received an update.

have they purposely not viewed my applic or
I don't think there's much you can infer from it unfortunately. They might have different timelines and processes for reviewing open days and VS applications and thus have not reviewed it yet. They also could have reviewed it and reached an outcome, but not have communicated it yet - sometimes firms release results in batches.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If an application question asks 'Why are you attracted to the firm' should you not mention your interest in commercial law at all? or just jumpy straight to why the firm alone?
@Andrei Radu @Jessica Booker
I'd just jump straight to why the firm - it maybe that they don't feel they need to assess why law.

Reactions: Ram Sabaratnam

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
I received an immediate rejection from Clifford Chance after the Watson Glaser test. It's disappointing, especially knowing how much effort I put into my application for the Open Day, and knowing they did not even look at it. Oh well!
Hey @gimmeavacschemepls , I’m sorry to hear about the rejection. Please keep powering through, you got this 💪

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Help please! (Not sure what decision to make) @Jessica Booker @Andrei Radu

My main goal is to secure a TC at a top law firm.

I recently graduated from my LLM, and my plan for this year was to secure a short-term paralegal position whilst applying for VSs/TCs. (I wanted a short term role so that I could attend VSs without any issues).

Today I received an email from a recruiter who read my CV for a paralegal position at a top US law firm (where I am also applying for a VS). They want to discuss the role over a call, and the job description they provided states that I need to be free for at least 12 months to be considered. If I am successful with this paralegal role, I am not sure how I will be able to attend any VSs (if I secure any)... Most of the law firms I am interested in training with recruit trainees exclusively through their VSs. Should I go ahead with this call?

I am also worried that if I do not proceed with the call, the recruitment agency will not consider me for any future opportunities, and that I may not be given an opportunity like this again given that I have 0 paralegal work experience. I am scared I might end up in the worst case scenario: no VS/TC offers and no paralegal position offers.

Additionally, I thought it would be important to add that the job description sent to me by the recruiter states that the paralegal role should not be viewed as a route to a TC at the firm but that the firm is happy to accept candidates actively (and openly) seeking TCs elsewhere and will proactively offer coaching and assistance in application drafting and interview techniques.

I would really appreciate any insight on this - thank you!
I would go ahead with the call - this is not a job offer (yet) and so I would wait until you have had the initial call and potentially even gone through the recruitment process and see if you get an offer before assuming this may be an issue. The recruitment process itself may give you an indication as to whether you could balance this role with a VS too. In the call you could even ask whether there would be any flexibility.

Reactions: KBanana

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
Mishcon Dey Reya Race Open Day
Amazing, huge congratulations @BonanzaBih_ …! I hope you have an amazing time at the Open Day and well done for securing it..! 😊

Happy Homer Simpson GIF by Morphin

Reactions: BonanzaBih_

Parsorandini

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Oct 8, 2021
Hi everyone. I am looking for some help as the information I can find online is not specific enough. I have a stammer that could be considered somewhere between mild and moderate (it shifts between severity levels depending on my mood/anxiety levels etc). I am 29 and have only addressed recently through self-reflection the huge impact it has on my life; I avoid phone calls and conversations sometimes, and have dropped out of university and work exsperience partly because of it. I am going to start speech therapy in the coming months and I am making strong steps towards not letting it run my life anymore.

My actual question is whether I can/should disclose this as a disability on an application form? I genuinely believe it fits the criteria that I have read online, and it does make applying for law firms much more difficult as the stammer worsens in interview type scenarios, but would never want to 'use' it as an excuse or whatever. Up until now I have only mentioned it in mitigating circumstances and in the reasonable adjustments section for interviews. Just wondering if anybody in the know could help me please? @Jessica Booker I know you know a lot about legal recruitment! Thanks :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.