TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

lawyersum

Star Member
Jun 28, 2024
Thank you so much! Any tips on how I can present my CV so that it is more tailored to the firm?
You're welcome! I'm by no means an expert but the application also requires you to give a 400 word personal statement, so that would ideally be the best chance for you to take some of your experiences/skills and tailor them to the firm. I'm sure @Jessica Booker could provide some more accurate advice :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much! Any tips on how I can present my CV so that it is more tailored to the firm?
90%+ of your CV will not be tailored to the firm as it should just show the best evidence of your experiences to date.

However, the 10% that can be tailored can be done by:
  • Prioritising content that is more focused on elements that align to the firm's work - e.g. if you did a vacation scheme where you worked in both private client and litigation departments, it would make sense to prioritise the litigation bullet points over the private client ones in your CV (literally putting them first)
  • Thinking about highlighting the skills the firm is looking for. For instance, Freshfields say they look for "determination, enthusiasm, time management, flexibility, attention to detail, an interest in business, willingness to work as a team, and resilience". If it was me, I'd try to make references to time management, attention to detail and team working in my CV.

VMS

Valued Member
Oct 16, 2023
This might be a stupid question but, is it necessarily a bad thing if i accidentally missed out a gcse grade on an application (just one) that i submitted? - i only just noticed

It's really easy to rectify - if you let the firm's Grad Recruitment know they'll tell you what to do about it. I made a mistake on one of my apps and it was fine, I just had to attach an additional note to it.

• 🤝
Reactions: jojo23

Amma Usman

Valued Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 7, 2024
This might be a stupid question but, is it necessarily a bad thing if i accidentally missed out a gcse grade on an application (just one) that i submitted? - i only just noticed
Hey @jojo23 , this is not an issue in itself and it wouldn’t significantly impact your application. However, if you feel the need to amend it you should email graduate recruitment with more details on the omission.

Reactions: jojo23

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.