• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

As the deadline is not for another 5 weeks, I think it is still worthwhile applying. It’s not even half way through the application window, and the vast majority of people won’t apply until the last week or two.
thanks for the reply, similarly do you think its worth waiting to send off my app for mishcon de reya after attending the Open day on Oct 16th? the app is rolling and closes 3 weeks after the open day so i feel like itll be better to apply early regardless of mentioning the Open day on my application.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thanks for the reply, similarly do you think its worth waiting to send off my app for mishcon de reya after attending the Open day on Oct 16th? the app is rolling and closes 3 weeks after the open day so i feel like itll be better to apply early regardless of mentioning the Open day on my application.
I’d personally wait if you know you have got a spot on the open day, as they are likely to be keeping an eye out for your application even after the deadline.

You could get it all ready to go and then finalise it in the few days after the open day.

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
When applying for jobs, if they require you to provide your current and desired salary, is it acceptable to write 'N/A,' or should you provide an estimate? I've noticed that salary ranges on Glassdoor can sometimes be on the lower side.
I'm always nervous about those too. What if someone undercuts my amount? A range sounds like a plan.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

KBanana

Premium Member
Mar 10, 2023
90th percentile in arguments and assumptions but I only got 50th percentile in conclusions lol. I think I have a decent chance to meet the benchmark.
Oh are you allowed to ask Links about your WG score before you hear the outcome of your app? I did my Links WG last week, do you think they'd be able to tell me my results for the test already? Thanks!

Reactions: Apple

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When applying for jobs, if they require you to provide your current and desired salary, is it acceptable to write 'N/A,' or should you provide an estimate? I've noticed that salary ranges on Glassdoor can sometimes be on the lower side.
N/A will not necessarily be helpful and can lead to applications being unsuccessful (unfortunately).

I would try to provide clarity both in terms of your current salary and expectations going forward instead. If your salary expectations are higher than what they can offer, then it’s not going to be right for you to proceed either.

Rather than an estimate, you can put your base salary expectations and then put something like “+ benefits/bonus” which would then give you an ability to negotiate to some extent.

Reactions: fingersarecrossed

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm always nervous about those too. What if someone undercuts my amount? A range sounds like a plan.
Firms won’t just go with the cheapest resource and are unlikely to undercut people with offers as they know there is a risk they will just leave quickly. It’s better to be as transparent as you can about these things to ensure you are going forward for the right roles. It is frustrating though when employers are asking for this detail and not providing their salary expectations at the same time (something I completely disagree with).

georgejacob55

Standard Member
Premium Member
Oct 18, 2022
Holding myself accountable (again).

HSF ✅📝❌
NRF ✅📝❌
Weil ✅
Sidley ✅
Willkie ✅🎥
Latham ✅
Dechert ✅
Skadden ✅
Covington ✅
Linklaters* ✅📝
Paul, Weiss ✅
Slaughters* ✅
White & Case ✅
Hogan Lovells* ✅
A&O Shearman ✅📝

Key: ✅ = application submitted; 📝 = test received; 🎥 = video interview; ❌ = rejection.

*Training Contract applications
Hey! How quickly did a pfo for HSF come through after completing the test?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.