• Hey Guest, check out Andrei's new guide to building a winning law firm application strategy here. Good luck this cycle :)

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2024-25

br2000

Feb 15, 2024
Those who have done the Ashurst test: How much maths does the online test involve? Would u recommend having a calculator at hand? Thank you
I did it a few days ago. There were two maths sections from what I remember, but each section is timed so you won't have time to use a calculator. It was mainly testing how quickly you could work out the answers in your head. Not a great experience for me since i'm not that good with numbers lol but don't worry too much about it!

AlegalA

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 4, 2023
Helloo I started answering a question about an issue I was passionate about which is on how derogatory language impacts the general way we view women but I have now come to the realisation that I'm using some strong language as examples. Obviously they are used to evidence an academic point I am making, so it's not being used in an inappropriate way BUT upon reflection should I write about a safer topic, or given the "academic" nature of my answer it will be okay?

( I have stupidly already started writing this and would love to not have to start over 😭)

KBanana

Standard Member
Premium Member
Mar 10, 2023
Hi everyone,

I’m planning to apply to Slaughter and May and have heard they are quite strict when it comes to university grades. I attained a final mark of 69 in my degree (just scraped a First), but I’m wondering if they only consider applicants with an overall grade of 70% or higher?

Thank you!

sammm10101

Aug 15, 2024
Hi everyone,

I’m planning to apply to Slaughter and May and have heard they are quite strict when it comes to university grades. I attained a final mark of 69 in my degree (just scraped a First), but I’m wondering if they only consider applicants with an overall grade of 70% or higher?

Thank you!
I'm sure its fine, I'm pretty sure I've seen it that they assess applications holistically, and I've definitely seen people progress who have gotten 2.1's

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
You won’t need a first to apply to Slaughter and May.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Helloo I started answering a question about an issue I was passionate about which is on how derogatory language impacts the general way we view women but I have now come to the realisation that I'm using some strong language as examples. Obviously they are used to evidence an academic point I am making, so it's not being used in an inappropriate way BUT upon reflection should I write about a safer topic, or given the "academic" nature of my answer it will be okay?

( I have stupidly already started writing this and would love to not have to start over 😭)
I’d personally suggest trying to limit the use of terms that maybe offensive in an answer like this. Are the specific references needed and can the same point be said without using them?

Reactions: AlegalA

Kay Aston

Star Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 8, 2024
Anyone knows which firms don't really care about whether you attended an RS uni but more so just look at your grades?
Hi @danielles ! Legal Cheek firm pages are a great resource for this, as they have pie charts which show the university breakdown of the current trainees at the firm (by group). Generally, you will find that elite US firms are more selective about university type, for example, Kirkland & Ellis trainees are made up exclusively of RG and Oxbridge grads:

1726613460348.png

Whereas UK firms appear to be more diverse in their selection, for example Ashurst:

1726613552848.png

I will caveat this by saying that just because there is no 'Other UK' section to these charts, it doesn't mean you are definitely wasting your time applying for these firms. Firms are changing their recruitment strategies all the time, especially with the current focus on diversity, and I do believe a lot of candidates 'self-select' themselves out of some firms by believing they would simply never get in, which can perpetuate the RG/Oxbridge dominance. However, I do appreciate that in application cycles, your time is extremely valuable and you do have to play the odds, so for that, these charts are really helpful. I hope that helps! ✨

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Hi @danielles ! Legal Cheek firm pages are a great resource for this, as they have pie charts which show the university breakdown of the current trainees at the firm (by group). Generally, you will find that elite US firms are more selective about university type, for example, Kirkland & Ellis trainees are made up exclusively of RG and Oxbridge grads:

View attachment 6265

Whereas UK firms appear to be more diverse in their selection, for example Ashurst:

View attachment 6266

I will caveat this by saying that just because there is no 'Other UK' section to these charts, it doesn't mean you are definitely wasting your time applying for these firms. Firms are changing their recruitment strategies all the time, especially with the current focus on diversity, and I do believe a lot of candidates 'self-select' themselves out of some firms by believing they would simply never get in, which can perpetuate the RG/Oxbridge dominance. However, I do appreciate that in application cycles, your time is extremely valuable and you do have to play the odds, so for that, these charts are really helpful. I hope that helps! ✨
As an Oxbridge graduate, I can tell you that the numbers for those small firms can change radically from year to year. I did the Ropes & Gray Vacation Scheme and they didn't take many Oxbridge people at all this year. An Oxbridge degree isn't a guarantee of success - I've been rejected from everything in the end (even VSs with a. 3-1 conversion rate).

Reactions: Jessica Booker
Hi everyone! For anyone that applied for a VS at Jones Day, on the question "Have you have chosen to use AI tools (such as ChatGPT) in your application?" Did you provide an explanation even though your answer is 'No' or do you have to explain your choice regardless of whether your used AI or not? Thanks!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    As an Oxbridge graduate, I can tell you that the numbers for those small firms can change radically from year to year. I did the Ropes & Gray Vacation Scheme and they didn't take many Oxbridge people at all this year. An Oxbridge degree isn't a guarantee of success - I've been rejected from everything in the end (even VSs with a. 3-1 conversion rate).
    It’s good to see Ropes and Gray are changing their ways! Applying to vac schemes as an Oxbridge graduate is an advantage in itself let alone getting a vac scheme! Both vac schemes I was on took all oxbridge with a dash of RG😄 guess it depends on the firm…

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Similarly to this, I used to say that although I recruited more Oxbridge candidates ant an MC firm, also used to reject more Oxbridge candidates than any orher pair of universities.

Oxbridge candidates generally have little to no fear in applying and so apply in their hundreds/thousands each year, and that’s despite them being two of the smaller universities by student population in the U.K. When you get a disproportionate number of high quality applicants from a university, they will be over represented in trainee populations, because they are also over represented in application pools.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and Tintin06

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.